Author Topic: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy??  (Read 19926 times)

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy??
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I grew up close to the original Wilmot, WI store.  My dad and I had an annual spring ritual of going there each spring to pick up a few goodies. 

I was just in the Mankato, MN store this week.  They are really getting low on inventory. Not surprisingly, the employees weren't exactly very enthusiastic about their jobs.

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 07:51 PM »
So far the list of Stores going forward has grow to 61
Bud

Offline Big Dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 09:05 PM »
I was just in the forest lake mn store and picked up a frabill thermal for 30% off. They still have a lot of inventory but it's going fast. From what I was told they will be staying open in at least some capacity weather as gander or camping world.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 06:57 AM »
I grew up close to the original Wilmot, WI store.  My dad and I had an annual spring ritual of going there each spring to pick up a few goodies. 

I was just in the Mankato, MN store this week.  They are really getting low on inventory. Not surprisingly, the employees weren't exactly very enthusiastic about their jobs.
working in a store that is close to closing it's doors gets morbid as the inventory decreases

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26 AM »
talked with a manager yesterday at coldwater mi gm and he said any store that remains open will keep current staff. he also said the stores new name will be gander world.

i mentioned reading stores that showed profit are supposed to remain open and said based on that info theirs will remain open.

theres plenty of stock left because it's mainly only 10% most things. ice gear is 30% off and clothes are 20% off.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 10:41 AM »
talked with a manager yesterday at coldwater mi gm and he said any store that remains open will keep current staff. he also said the stores new name will be gander world.

Gander Outdoor

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/862806639811985408

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/05/12/ceo-marcus-lemonis-offering-25k-logo-redesign-gander-outdoors/

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/863008612834320388
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I hope they learned what killed Gander Mountain, mainly the high prices and lack of inventory, but I doubt it.  I think it's another case of a new name to the same over priced and under stocked store.  Hopefully I'm wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.  I feel bad for the employees who lost their jobs but as usual the corporate idiots will still be there getting their paychecks for running the company into the ground.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 07:33 PM »
all sales final and no internet shopping any more after 57 years all 126 store are closing

http://www.gandermountain.com/?cID=YM

Thats a stretch yet somewhat true. Ok, here we go. All stores will liquidate to zero inventory. The 77-78 stores slated to remain, mine included, will restock, retool and reopen about Sept. 1 as Gander Outdoors.

The Gander private label card and gift cards are done. Rewards vouchers are good through liquidation.

So far liquidation has been very difficult. The discounts vary, the customers confused, many rules, no returns...I ask all of you guys to please be as patient as possible.

Im not privy to any special info that I know of. Mr Lemonis is very active on Twitter, he releases a ton of info.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36 PM »
It must be like working in a mushroom factory!! They keep you in the dark and feed you a lot s#!t!!!! >:(

The stress of not knowing whats happening, along with trying to be as professional as possible, has been a bit trying. In the last 6 months Ive lost my commission, paid vacation time and employee discount, but I really enjoy the folks I work with at Gander and look forward to the future.

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Not much hope for my store to go forward.  I don't do twitter, but I hear more bits a pieces come from the Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis twitter account.
Bud

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Pretty sad to see this happening to Gander, but everyone reading this who shopped much at Gander knew that changes had to be made.  I do believe they are making the right decision and ultimately might end up being a great place to shop, however the way they are handling the liquidation process is leaving a sour taste.  I understand a third party has stepped in to handle the liquidation and pricing and nobody is asking for free stuff, but the ol bait and switch tactic is in full force here.   All the ads and street sign spinners shouting 40% off, yet as I cast a gaze across the entire store yesterday it was nothing but 10% with a few 15’s sprinkled in.  Not even a decent marked down price yet.    Hopefully most people understand there won’t really be any good deals during this “store closing”.   Once the prices get attractive, a big outfit will just come in and purchase the entire lot and flip it.  In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if there was already a deal in place.   You might find a random odd size or off season item you will get a deal on, but for the most part this liquidation company is just wasting your time and hoping to suck you in on a hail mary before dumping the majority to big outfit like Overstock or something like that.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 03:26 PM »
My store has been in liquidation for 7 weeks now. Ice fishing started at 30% and is now 50%. No "big outfit" has come in and bought anything. Local businesses have bought fixtures, office equipment and the facade around the inside, but nobody has purchased bulk quantities of merchandise.

The liquidators job is to ensure they get as much as they can for the merchandise.  If you went to a rummage sale on a friday, would you expect the same price as you'd get on sunday? No. Each week we've lowered prices/raised the % off. Some merchandise remains the same for a couple of weeks, much of it drops weekly.

"Hopefully most people understand there won’t really be any good deals during this “store closing”.   Once the prices get attractive, a big outfit will just come in and purchase the entire lot and flip it."  Isn't a "good deal" relative to people's financial situations? For some 10% off is a good deal, why others see 50% as a good deal.  Selections are very good yet at my store. Size S to 3X on much of the clothing. Hell. we still have augers and 13 Fishing ice rods left at 50%.  Yesterday I got the Striker cracked ice hoodie and a gray Clam hoodie buy one get one at 50% off. I'm a size Large.

To tell people they're wasting their time is simply untrue. There's some very good deals to be had. One thing I do agree with? The Liquidators are a bit on the Pinocchio side of things with the discount signs. A bit too aggressive and it has rubbed some folks the wrong way.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 06:27 PM »
I guessed I lucked out then my new Otter XT 650 was 29.99 for the whole shanty to big to keep though

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I sure hope nobody thinks 10% off MSRP is a good deal, you should be able to walk into any store any day of the week and figure out how to get 10% off of MSRP.   Like I said, a few deals sprinkled here and there, but for the most part nothing to get excited about and in fact many instances of a lower price tag hidden underneath this super special store closing sale price.  LOL

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07 AM »
If the insinuation is that GM/Liquidators increased prices for the liquidation, again. Untrue. All any customer needs to do is ask an associate to look at the product's price history. Every time that product has had a price increase, decrease or was on sale, it's in the price history.

I've had a ton pf people say, "you jacked the prices up 20-30% just to put them on sale." simply untrue and very easy to show. 9-10 I'll get, "well, it must have been on sale when I bought it".

Each store has to hard tag each item in their store. Do mistakes happen with tagging them, sure do. But again, nothing purposely was done to cheat customers.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Not saying at all that they raised MSRP, just saying there were previous sales in which the price was even lower and on some of those items, tags are still on the item underneath the "going out of business" sale price sticker.   I've seen several examples both that others have shared and with my own eyes.   Look I'm not bashing GM, but being honest about the situation.   IN MY OPINION it's not worth your time and effort because the deals are average at best.   If you are close by and want to kill some time, sure go take a look, but I wouldn't make a special trip to think you'll be getting a bargain.  A vast majority of the people walking out on Sun were empty handed.

Offline airflite1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I guessed I lucked out then my new Otter XT 650 was 29.99 for the whole shanty to big to keep though

I'll give you twice that and pay for shipping... ;D

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 03:22 PM »
When the signs went up, I was surprised to see the liquidator put 20% discounts on Honda Generators. Here in this area Honda's were never on "Sale" anywhere.  the 12 in stock sold out in 2 days.

Currently ice gear including flashers is at 40% off, fly rods at 25%, fly line at 30%.  Foot ware at 30%  We no longer get an employee discount.  And for that reason several part-time have bailed.  And maybe for that reason I have been bumped to 40 hours.

Bud

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Not that big of a clam fan but I just got a voyager x stealth for $479.00...just couldn't pass it up for that price
FISH ON!🎣

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Not that big of a clam fan but I just got a voyager x stealth for $479.00...just couldn't pass it up for that price

I got a Nanook Thermal for 285.00. Too good of a deal to pass by

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 10:01 AM »
When the signs went up, I was surprised to see the liquidator put 20% discounts on Honda Generators. Here in this area Honda's were never on "Sale" anywhere.  the 12 in stock sold out in 2 days.

Currently ice gear including flashers is at 40% off, fly rods at 25%, fly line at 30%.  Foot ware at 30%  We no longer get an employee discount.  And for that reason several part-time have bailed.  And maybe for that reason I have been bumped to 40 hours.

When the discount went bye-bye, everybody started pointing fingers at the liquidators. Nope, it was Corporate. I was told that once we re-open as Gander Outdoors, it'll be reinstated.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Looks like the liquidators are doing some hijinks...other store products.

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/867635845116948481

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/867205334066237440

I also wonder if the new owner would be interested in selling ice fishing style RV's and skid houses at the new Gander Outdoors/Camping World ...seems like it might be a good fit at some locations... not so much at my local (maybe some aluminum skid house would work) but further north upstate NY might have a market.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Looks like the liquidators are doing some hijinks...other store products.

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/867635845116948481

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/867205334066237440

I also wonder if the new owner would be interested in selling ice fishing style RV's and skid houses at the new Gander Outdoors/Camping World ...seems like it might be a good fit at some locations... not so much at my local (maybe some aluminum skid house would work) but further north upstate NY might have a market.

I read a Tweet this am (on my phone, it's blocked at my FT job) that stated we're being taken advantage of because Liquidators were forcing us to sell non-Gander merchandise. Personally? Who cares if they do? If it keep folks employed a bit longer or gives more people hrs, nobody should be angry really.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 01:24 PM »

I agree it keeps people working far as buying nobody is forcing anyone to buy that's a choice , as with most people don't we know what's a bargain ?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 01:55 PM »
I agree it keeps people working far as buying nobody is forcing anyone to buy that's a choice , as with most people don't we know what's a bargain ?

I read a Tweet this am (on my phone, it's blocked at my FT job) that stated we're being taken advantage of because Liquidators were forcing us to sell non-Gander merchandise. Personally? Who cares if they do? If it keep folks employed a bit longer or gives more people hrs, nobody should be angry really.

Agreed shouldn't be angry and sportsman know a bargain ...the liquidators have a time table as does the new owner ....as for the liquidator I heard anywhere from 60 days...6 weeks ....September 1st.The new owner I believe posted ...Fall of 2017 . I also thought the new owner was keeping store staff ...I hope that is true. My local Gander in Middletown NY is slated to stay open ...although I am a fan of Gander Mtn  ... bargains had to sought out ...via codes and sales...did a lot of  online shopping....my area was suppose to get a Cabelas but with the reported buyout that fizzled fast.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Agreed shouldn't be angry and sportsman know a bargain ...the liquidators have a time table as does the new owner ....as for the liquidator I heard anywhere from 60 days...6 weeks ....September 1st.The new owner I believe posted ...Fall of 2017 . I also thought the new owner was keeping store staff ...I hope that is true. My local Gander in Middletown NY is slated to stay open ...although I am a fan of Gander Mtn  ... bargains had to sought out ...via codes and sales...did a lot of  online shopping....my area was suppose to get a Cabelas but with the reported buyout that fizzled fast.

As far as I know and what I've been promised is that I do have a landing spot when my store closes. Not the case for many managers, assistant managers and supervisors. There's only so many chairs at the table. I'd like to say for sure than my store will close by mid-july, but with more merchandise rolling in weekly, who knows?  I'm happy to be working.

Fall of this year is when we'll see the new branding and new "company". I'm looking forward to seeing the long over-due changes.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2017, 04:10 PM »
I stopped at the Dickson City Pennsylvania Gander Mountain to check out the going out of business sale and have to say it was a waste of time.  They had some ice fishing flashers and under water cameras there but you could get better prices on them almost anywhere else.  You can get better prices on fishing line at Walmart any time.  They had some Buddy Heaters but they were $20 to $30 more than other places.  The lures were still over priced, can beat them at Dick's Sporting Goods.  The guns and ammo were marked down 5% which is still more than other stores want for them at full price.  Over all my advice is save your time and wait for the prices to get marked down more. 

Online Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2017, 05:23 AM »
yeah, one of my sons buddies went to Cabelas last weekend to get some camping gear. On his way home he stopped at the Dickson city GM to see if he could pick up any deals. He said all the stuff he got at Cabelas was more expensive at GM with their supposed sale. I don't think they will be liquidating very much inventory if they keep that up.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2017, 07:03 AM »

There are deals to be had , it just may not be what everyone is looking for at least yet anyway

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2017, 08:23 AM »
I would say an Ion 6" auger at 40% off is not to shabby  ;D
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.