Author Topic: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy??  (Read 19925 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy??
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Yes, just a restructuring effort.  They're not going out of business.  The other two large sporting goods chains have used similar efforts in the past.  Got to stay competitive.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Camping World has won the auction for Gander Mtn today. They'll be closing 100 plus stores. No announcement on what stores or when. Gander President promised an announcement to us employees today, when that didnt happen, we started Googling and found out. No big sufprise,

Get ready for some hot deals!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:04 AM »
That's kind of a bummer, I b***h about Gander a lot but in the end I like having one 5 minutes away.  And after meeting the worlds largest retail idiot at Cabela's yesterday I realized I've been too hard on them, I even found a feature on their website I like.  Sucks for all the peeps that are gonna lose jobs. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Royalwapiti thank you for starting this thread, also thanks to all who have posted links to different articles on the bankruptcy filing. 52isntbigenough may all work out well for you and your coworkers. Surprising news since Gander Mountain has been renovating/remodeling many of it's stores the last 3 to 4 years. My local store was remodeled in 2014 the management of this store has also been very kind and let us use their meeting from to have preseason gatherings of Ice Shanty members free of any charge since 2013.
Steve

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Last I knew was GM would be closing 32 of its 162 stores, Mine not being one of the ones to close.
Bud

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2017, 04:37 PM »
It is hard to know how this whole industry is going to shake out. The old mom and pop bait shops were decimated by the chains with the large inventory and low prices. Now those brick and mortar stores are failing due to the cheaper online warehouses with the low priced shipping rates. However, I have noticed a trend within the online dealers where the shipping rates are low or free but it takes forever to actually get the item. I had one dealer "create a shipping label" and tell me it was shipped,but the item never actually reached the shipper until a week later! Sorry, did not mean to hijack thread, just venting.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Royalwapiti thank you for starting this thread, also thanks to all who have posted links to different articles on the bankruptcy filing. 52isntbigenough may all work out well for you and your coworkers. Surprising news since Gander Mountain has been renovating/remodeling many of it's stores the last 3 to 4 years. My local store was remodeled in 2014 the management of this store has also been very kind and let us use their meeting from to have preseason gatherings of Ice Shanty members free of any charge since 2013.
Steve

Worse case, I work for the rest of the year liquidating local stores. Best case, the store Im supposdd to transfer too stays open. Which is possible because its the 4th most profitable in the chain. This is part time for me, I feel for the fulltimers who found out by Google.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:18 AM »
IFF,52isntbigenough the best to both of you while the whole bankruptcy restructuring is taking place. I do agree with you 52isntbigenough employees should have been given notice before the filing was reported to news media.
Steve

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49 AM »
What I was greeted with when I went to work this evening.

Gander Mountain has been out bid, by Camping world, I am sure there will be several follow up postings on the web, here is but one of what I found when I got home

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/camping_world_buys_gander_moun.html
Bud

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 05:16 AM »
I feel bad for the folks that will be losing their jobs. I wonder if they will be reopening as Camping World stores and maybe keeping on the original employees or at least giving them preferential treatment during hiring? They aren't closing any of the stores here in PA but I wonder if they will still be doing liquidation sales?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 04:13 PM »

I just read this. It's too bad for all that might lose their jobs and the people that shop there!

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Gander+Mountain&fr=fp-tts&fr2=p:fp,m:tn,ct:all,kt:org,pg:1,stl:crsl,b:

IW

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56 PM »
Here they closed a store in west miflin and one in nearby Washington county in PA
Dicks did open Field And Stream stores around here but it seems they chose the higher income areas to put them
and like was mentioned earlier mom and pop stores were the best we ever had for fishing and hunting, Even finding bait anymore is a chore unless you go to wally world and hope you fin live bait in their live bait cooler. and the mealworms are a joke ive bought maggots twice as big as they have.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 12:46 AM »
The Gander I work at,  when I arrived, the signs on the doors are.....GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.......EVERYTH ING MUST GO.  This store was just built, and its grand opening was September 15,2016.

What I am told is that Camping World didn't want any of the inventory.  And the bankrupt court order is all stores inventories will be Liquidated.
Bud

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06 AM »
Sorry to hear it. Best of luck to you.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Bud, PM sent.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 08:53 AM »
all sales final and no internet shopping any more after 57 years all 126 store are closing

http://www.gandermountain.com/?cID=YM

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Thanks 3300, didn't know about the Gift Cards.
Bud

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Bud, I was shocked to read that they are closing every last store!  :o What are your plans going forward?? Any chance of getting something going with Camping World??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 10:44 AM »
http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1776526-gander-mountain-begins-liquidation

I think they are liquidating every store as the new owner does not want to deal with inventory ...as to which stores stay open ...its all about which ones were/can make a profit which includes wages ...rents ...etc.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 11:19 AM »
By Leada Gore | [email protected]
CLOSE
Email the author
Follow on Twitter
Reports surfaced yesterday that outdoor retailer Gander Mountain was closing all 126 of its locations.

The stories - at least for now - are inaccurate, according to Marcus Lemonis, the CBNC host and owner of Camping World, which purchased Gander Mountain last week.

Camping World purchased the outdoor retailer following its bankruptcy in March. At the time, Lemonis said his company would assume a minimum of 17 store leases with the option to keep others open based on profitability. Lemonis said it was likely that about half of Gander Mountain's existing stores wouldn't survive.

On Friday, Gander Mountain's website posted it was hosting liquidation sales with a big banner proclaiming "All 126 locations nationwide going out of business" with information on ongoing liquidation sales. All firearms, ammunition, shooting, hunting, archery, apparel, footwear, camping, fishing and boating items are included in the sale; gift cards will be accepted only through May 18, the website noted.

The website led to reports that Gander Mountain was closing nationwide, but Lemonis has taken to Twitter to dispute those claims.

"Is the Onalaska/LaCrosse Gander Mtn closing? Seeing a clearance sale article posted today," one person wrote.

"It's saying," Lemonis replied.

"Is the the Roanoke, Virginia Gander Mountain closing?" another asked.

"No," Lemonis said.

An Alabama store is among those mentioned in the exchange. In response to a report the Gander Mountain in Huntsville is closing, Lemonis said "not correct."

Gander Mountains' website strikes the same optimistic tone.

"We at Gander Mountain believe that our best days are still ahead of us and we ask that you join us in welcoming and supporting this successful transition. Camping World shares the same passion for the outdoors as Gander Mountain and our customers, making for a great melding of businesses and outdoor communities," it said on its website.

Lemonis didn't address why the website referred to all 126 locations going out of business.

As part of its deal, Camping World acquired certain assets of Gander Mountain and its Overton's boating business in a deal worth about $390 million.

Gander Mountain announced in March it was closing 32 stores, including four in Alabama, as part of its bankruptcy proceedings. Locations in Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa are currently set to close; Gander Mountain also operates stores in Dothan, Florence, Huntsville and Opelika.

Lemonis said the status of all stores - even those slated for earlier closures - remains under evaluation.

Comments

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

© 2017 Alabama Live LLC [al.com and gulflive.com]. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Alabama Live LLC [al.com and gulflive.com].

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

Ad Choices

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Sounds like there may be as many as 70 stores will continue after all the dust settles.  In so far as the inventory is now owned by the Liquidation company, we will continue to sell their stuff that are in the stores.  Only distasteful part is the Gander rewards vouchers are not being honored, so will just have to see how that all plays out.

The new owner (Camping World) has been sharing better information via his Twitter account.
Bud

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44 AM »

The people that work at the stores should be kept in formed ,

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 09:50 AM »
The people that work at the stores should be kept in formed ,
It must be like working in a mushroom factory!! They keep you in the dark and feed you a lot s#!t!!!! >:(
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 12:23 PM »
My local store is on the list to stay open!  ;D

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 01:28 PM »
well, they are closing the one near me. Dickson City, PA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.