Author Topic: Hole Covers ?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
Hole Covers ?
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Do you use hole covers with your tip-ups? I always used them with underwater tip-ups and found them to work well. I fish with others that don't use them and after a slow day of fishing they end up chiseling their tip-ups out of the hole. One complaint I hear is that they are to big to fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I got some from Fleet Farm and they are 12.5" so I trimmed them to 11" and they fit nicely in the center of my bucket. Also not sure why the hole in the center needs to be so big. A 1/4 " hole would fit snug around the base of the tip-up and allow less air in.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hole Covers ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I don't use them, mainly because I usually fish with kids and that's one more hassle when they get excited and run to a flag.  Plus, keeping the holes clear gives me something to do when they aren't biting and lots of times after I check them, the little bit of jigging action while I'm clearing the hole seems to attract a fish to one of them.

As for keeping light out of the holes, I've never noticed a difference, but I always like to think that since pike are daylight feeders, the light through the hole may make it easier for them to see the bait, especially in murky waters the zebra mussels haven't invaded yet.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:03 AM »
I always use hole covers for my tip-ups. Its nice not having to constantly chip out tip ups from ice or having snow blow into the holes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:14 AM »
I don't use them but eventually I might make some for something to do during the off season. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:42 AM »
i  use them every time.beats clearing ice out of the hole,keeps blowing snow out.holes stay dark and tipups don't freeze to the ice.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I don't use them but often thought that I should. The only thing that bothers me is, if it's windy, do they get picked up and thrown from time to time? is that even a problem? do you have to clear snow away from the hole for the cover?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I don't use them but often thought that I should. The only thing that bothers me is, if it's windy, do they get picked up and thrown from time to time? is that even a problem? do you have to clear snow away from the hole for the cover?

Never had a hole cover get picked up and blown away, even in high winds. When the snow is drifting you occasionally have to go around and clear the snow off the cover but it is nice not having to scoop out slush constantly.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:04 AM »
All the time. Insulates the hole, keeps the snow out and minimizes light.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the info. Might have to work on that tonight... well, it's valentines, I might be safer working on it tomorrow  ;)2

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:05 AM »
HT used to make packs of 3 for about 12 bucks. They're a hard foam.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:13 AM »
All the time. Insulates the hole, keeps the snow out and minimizes light.

(Image removed from quote.)
I run the same bd jolly Rodgers.black flags are easier for me to see than red ones.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Always have holes covered when using deadbait.  That hole is an unnatural looking spotlight shining down on deadbait.  A live minnow will go in and out of that spotlight area and can trigger an active feeding response.  So deadbait gets covered, livebait does not unless conditions are brutal. 

You'll never see me using manufactured hole covers.  Why pay money for bulky foam when I can make my own from chunks of carpet?  If the carpet freezes and and rips...oh well.  Just toss that one away and grab a different one.  If the foam type freezes and rips money needs to be spent to replace them.  I guess the only drawback to carpet is that tey work better if they are thawed out when not in use but I keep my gear in a heated garage anyway. 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I run the same bd jolly Rodgers.black flags are easier for me to see than red ones.

I have one that's green with a yellow flag. That yellow one is impossible to see at any distances.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I never have used them, but oddly I've been thinking this week after last weekends cold conditions that it's time I make some up. I'll be trying them soon.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I always use them.

Like some of the others said they are nice when the snow is drifting or on real cold days.

WS

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:41 PM »
 I made my own out of 3/8" black foam that was wrapped around some machinery that I hooked up 10yrs ago. I cut 12x12 squares with a slot in for my Polar tip-ups. I put them in my bucket sideways and they get a little bow in them. On the ice the weight of the tip-up flattens them out(curve is up). If it is windy I place some ice shavings on the corners or they will blow off. Being black they rarely freeze to the ice here in Pa however it can happen on those BRUTAL days we used to have. Mine are also not quite thick enough to prevent the holes from freezing but I don't have to clear them near as much as my buddies.

Some days I win other days no covers will get more action.  We generally fish bigger baits under the tip-ups  so some of that can also be certain holes will just be in the right spots.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Same here I buy the camping sleeping pads from the army navy store.
Cut them into 12" diameter sections work good.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I bought them a few years back but didn't use them right away. I slowly started using them and they work great. Now if it is going to be cool out <25f  I use them all of the time. It took me a while to buy them and a while to use them but now they go out with me regardless.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Been using them for years.

They are also great for kneeling on... just an fyi !

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:32 PM »
On a sunny day i get more Flags then the other guys im fishing with. Makes sense !

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I use the JT Hotbox quite a bit. Works like a tipup only you get to fight the fish with a rod. Keeps the hole open up to -20. On those cold days you use a 1 lb propane tank and the supplied mantle. Keeps it nice and toasty. No hole maintenance.

Link to their website is in my Sig along with a promo code if anyone wants a couple. Y

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Wow, $129 for the Hot Box alone, 16lbs, not for me thanks.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:52 PM »
just my .02 cents worth.  I use a gasket materail that we get from work ordering through pioneer gasket and have them cut 12 inch rounds of 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch thick, we mark the center use hole punch for line or tip up rod to go through and then cut to edge to slip around tip up rod and set down on ice. Works well in the below zero temps and they are always pliable no matter the temp, and when the sun hits the black it warms and keeps the holes ice free, if i want light to get down I just shovel out a bigger area while cleaning the holes out to let the light down through the ice.  The only time I have seen a problem was when the warm wind came up and melted all the snow on the ice the covers did not let the water down the holes, so had to remove them that day for an hour or so to let the water on top of the ice flush down then cover back up, do not have to chip holes all night unless flag up and only have to chip 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice the next morning even in the coldest times, but have experimented with them for several years now.  Here is a picture of on working.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Do you use hole covers with your tip-ups? I always used them with underwater tip-ups and found them to work well. I fish with others that don't use them and after a slow day of fishing they end up chiseling their tip-ups out of the hole. One complaint I hear is that they are to big to fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I got some from Fleet Farm and they are 12.5" so I trimmed them to 11" and they fit nicely in the center of my bucket. Also not sure why the hole in the center needs to be so big. A 1/4 " hole would fit snug around the base of the tip-up and allow less air in.

Thermal tip up works for me.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I use the JT Hotbox quite a bit. Works like a tipup only you get to fight the fish with a rod. Keeps the hole open up to -20. On those cold days you use a 1 lb propane tank and the supplied mantle. Keeps it nice and toasty. No hole maintenance.

Link to their website is in my Sig along with a promo code if anyone wants a couple. Y

lugging 12-15 of those on the lake would be absurd.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:02 PM »
lugging 12-15 of those on the lake would be absurd.

How many lines can you have?

We can only have 2 or three over here.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2017, 08:32 AM »
I was at TJ Max yesterday and I was looking at yoga mats to cut up for hole covers. They had several different thicknesses, up to 3/4". The mat measured 24" x 72" so I guess you could get (12) 12" covers. Would that material be too light? I was thinking the wind would blow them around.
If it works, good option, only $13.00.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Wow, $129 for the Hot Box alone, 16lbs, not for me thanks.

Wow!!! I'll have to do a REd Green version for next year!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2017, 11:17 AM »
bowski, I asked that question a little while ago. The guys that said they had used them said they never had one lift off on them.

yeah, I don't see why anyone would pay that much for a single trap. I'd rather spend $10-$15 and make a bunch of covers that will work just fine, can use them with jaw jackers and ht ice riggers too, or just dead sticking, don't see why not... but it'll have to wait until next year. This year is toast for me.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I used styrofoam peanuts painted black with some success last year. I needed to kick up a snow 'wall' upwind to stop them from blown away though.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.