Author Topic: Fish Finders/Ice Flashers  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Ruhman1225

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Finders/Ice Flashers
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Anglers,

In the market for a Ice Flasher/Fish Finder. Budget about $400. I can read what is online as far as reviews, but wanted to hear from those using them what they thought.

Vexilar, Marcum, Hummingbird, or Lowrance.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Fish Finders/Ice Flashers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I have used a vexilar fl-8 for the past 12 years. I love it. No issues with it. I have tripled my catch rate since I have been using it.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:37 AM »
SEARCH upper left ....numerous threads/post ...plug in your make/model .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:41 AM »
I have a Showdown Dual beam for the past five years and no problems.  It's super simple to use and understand, in about five minutes you'll operate it like a pro, the top of the screen is the top of the water column, the bottom is the bottom, and any mark in between is either your jig or a fish.  Some guys don't like it because it's a black and white screen but I don't mind it.  One other thing is supposedly they're not making the dual beam but they were selling them in the beginning of the season so I'm not sure about that. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:49 AM »
in that budget you have several options. if you want something for hard and soft water, you could get a Lowrance chirp or hook so you could have a graph for the boat and a flasher or graph for the ice. If you want something strictly for ice you can get a fl-12 , an ice-45 , a marcum lx-5... Just gotta look around for deals. Personally, I'm intrigued with the Lowrance ice machines. I have a 4x-chirp for my kayak and wonder if it would be as easy to use on the ice as my bird.

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I used a flasher for years, and I caught tons or fish. This year I set up a lowrance elite 7 for the ice and what a difference. Way more information with the sonar history and added benefit of GPS. It allows me to see my jig cadence and the fish's reaction so I can adjust accordingly. It has really "stepped up" my game so to speak. With that said, since that setup has found its way to the bottom of Chaumont Bay, I will be using my trusty old Marcum Lx3tc should I get out anymore this year.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:55 AM »
I currently  own lowrance and hummingbird graphs and used graph type for many years  , just sold my Vex and have used  marcum  they all do the job , the graph type also have a flasher mode ,it really depends on your needs and wallet , I'm sure the one you purchase will fill your needs

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:30 AM »
You cant go wrong with a Marcum vx-1. No bells and whistles. Just all you need. And I think $299.00.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Currently own the Humminbird Helix 5 ICE Sonar/GPS. Amazing machine, great battery life that lasts for ages. I use it for 8 hrs at a time, and the battery is more than half full when I'm done. The sensitivity is also amazing, it can detect the tiniest of jigs. Sometimes I have to turn the sensitivity down because it detects the line LOL. Has many different view modes including the graph and flasher modes. What sets this machine apart from flashers is that you can take it out of the bag and put it on a boat as a graph in the summertime. Can't do that with a flasher.

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:05 AM »
I have the Humminbird Helix 5 ICE Sonar/GPS too.  I don't have much experience with other units but I think the Humminbird is great.
Good things come to those who bait.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Clear as mud??   :o

Any and all of them will help. If you are near any crowded waters take a walk around and see the various units in action.

I've used a Lowrance X67C and a Vexilar FL18 - both were great
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:40 AM »
You cant go wrong with a Marcum vx-1. No bells and whistles. Just all you need. And I think $299.00.

What he said!
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:41 AM »
I've had the Lowrance Xc67 ice machine for about 10yrs no problems with it. User friendly.  :icefish:
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Felix77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I know you didn't call out this brand but I had to share that I bought a Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+ and I absolutely love it.   The ice fishing setting works perfect for me.   I can see even the smallest jig when jigging the bottom.  Also made setting the depth on my tip-ups a breeze.   It also keeps track of my holes and the depth in each of them.

At $239 it was the best investment I made to my ice arsenal this year.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:47 AM »
That should of been X67c  :icefish:
I live back in the woods you see

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:39 AM »
I have the basic Marcum VX-1i and I love it. However if I were to do it again, I would have spent the extra to get the LX-3TCI. The adjustable zoom would be so much nicer than only having a bottom zoom.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:50 AM »
400$ puts you into a marcum showdown dual beam.

look at digital units for the budget you set. you could get the marcum lx6 for another 100$ at overton's with a code.
use code UTAHSHOW2017  in the coupon box. last i knew this was working.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.msg3669218#msg3669218

i didn't care for the mechanical sonars. i operated a few of the top brands and owned one of the most expensive units.

they are all fun to use.

Offline Ruhman1225

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I can't go wrong with whatever I choose.  Personal preference and ease of use I imagine. Thanks again, good luck out there.  Be safe.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Looks like a good time to buy a flasher, sales all over the place, Fish307 has lots of models on sale including the Showdown 5.6 for $333.00 and the Marcum LX-6S for $540.00.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Your going to find that this conversation is alot like cars. Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Toyota. They all get you where your going. Me personally loves my Huminbird. Cant put any brand down they all work well, I close mine for a few reasons. Dual beam, zoom, and the fact it goes to 200 foot, I fish for Lakers occasionally on Owasco in 120 plus. I guess buy what your wallet can afford, like you I read reviews and discriptions for weeks before before deciding.  Good Luck
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Just like you I spent the off season researching and asking questions . I bought an FL- 18 at Reeds $340 ( Genz pack) and love it the 6' bottom zoom is great and with low power mode for shallow water. You don't need to spend a lot . Good luck!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2017, 05:10 PM »
I like my lowrance unit. I have the old model x67c. The newer ones are probably better and have GPS.

I'd get dizzy and nauseous looking at a flasher all day.

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:25 PM »
I have a Lowrance X-4 Pro and I bought the ice conversion kit. Came with the bag and mount, battery and ice transducer. I think the finder was $99 and the kit was like $125 when I got it. It's been a few years so don't totally quote me on the price. I love having it because I can cut a hole and at least check depth and tag fish. If I don't like the spit I move.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I can't go wrong with whatever I choose.  Personal preference and ease of use I imagine. Thanks again, good luck out there.  Be safe.

yup, that's about it. get what looks good to you. Basically, whatever you get (if it's a reputable machine) will work. And after a season on the ice with it, that's what you'll be used to and you'll probably judge all other machines by the first one. Good luck.

and remember, after a mark moves to your jig, you stop watching the machine and consentrate on the line and rod tip.

And I've used both finders and flashers, the flashers don't actually spin or anything... at least you don't see it spinning... if you go that route, don't worry, you're not gonna get dizzy and nauseous. You might develope the one yard stare but you'll get that with a finder too, lol!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.