Author Topic: Only a sedan, can clam KENAI PRO 1 person shelter be put into the back?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline khtwo

• IceShanty Rookie
Here in sail.ca, the only 1 person flip over shelter I can find is the clam KENAI PRO legacy. In its spec, it says packed size is 48x38x22in. This is beyond the back entry of my sedan, mazda 3 2007. It doesn't look that big from the youtube. Does anyone have the experience of putting it into the back of a sedan? Or do you have the actual packed size of this shelter? Thanks.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can't say for sure because I don't have your car or that shack but I was able to fit a shapell rover in the back of a small sedan, barely, with some damage to the car and it just made a mess in the back seat. Not to mention haveing to empty out the entire sled every time. Just not worth it imo.

If I still had a car and was looking at ice shacks the only shack I would be considering is a hub shack.

Online Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeeeah, I don't think I'd be trying to stuff a clam into a zoomzoom sedan unless it was a beater.

Offline khtwo

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the info. I already have a sled and hub shake and fit my sedan well. It's a bit inconvenient when I keep moving, so I was looking at the flip up shelter and only to find they are big. Ok, seems a SUV or Minivan is the next must have  ::)

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
You could also stop by a U-Haul and have a towing hitch installed and purchase a cargo carrier to strap it onto the back of the car.  Just another idea, and a little cheaper than a new SUV. 

I just found this online too - you could purchase and install the tow hitch yourself.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200601354_200601354

and then purchase this rack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172107362978
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was thinking about a hitch and small trailer.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
my buddy drove a small mitsubishi with his clam guide hanging out the back for years.   And thats a two man, we could have easily fit a one man in the trunk with the backseat down.   He put a tarp down to keep the seats and trunk from getting wet and worn.   Not sure about the kenai though, the sled tub is pretty deep.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
it would probably fit in the mazda 3 hatchback, but no way it would fit in the sedan. The tub is just too high. You could probably fit a frabill recon or recruit in the 3, as the tubs for both of them are significantly shallower than the kenai and are readily available here in Canada.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I think it would work. Check the height first you might be able to put it on a shallower sled bottom.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
The Kenai will not work. The sled is too deep.

I drove a Chevy Malibu and a Clam Scout XL fit like a glove. I did not install the seat, instead I just sit on a crate so that I could take it in and out because the seat installed on the slide bars would be too high. It fit in perfectly and I didn't have to force it at all...but you can see if the seat would have been installed it would be too high.

The Scout sled is significantly shorter than the Kenai.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.