The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Nearest lake to Rawlins with bass  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nearest lake to Rawlins with bass
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:03 PM »
I'm really interested in trying bass fishing but I don't know where to start, from what I've read on some of the threads the gentleman on here have a vast knowledge of the fish around wyoming. So I need some help gentlemen I have a family of five, two boys and a little princess we all love fishing  and want to try catching some new species. Thanks for all your help in advance, have a great day and keep fishing

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nearest lake to Rawlins with bass
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Unfortunately there isn't a place very close to Rawlins for bass... but...

You can catch them at Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Smallmouth) but they are almost impossible to catch ice fishing.

There are largemouth bass in Sloans and Absaraca lakes in Cheyenne.  And there are LMB in Festo Lake, Packers Lake, and Hawk Springs lake.

Greyrocks Reservoir and Wheatland Reservoir #1 are good places to catch smallmouth bass.   Good luck!

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Gemcityslayer

Thank you very much for the info, I'll be looking into all of those places tonight thank you again for your help

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I know it might not be closer than any other lake but lake cameiwait (Bass Lake) has lots of bass in it and during the summer months they are pretty easy to catch a few, might not be able to keep them with the slot limit, but they are a blast to fish for.  Do you have a boat that you can take out or just fishing off the shore, if you make the trip up let me know and I can maybe point you in the right direction or at least let you know if the fishing is hot or not out there.  There have been a few taken through the ice but mostly just perch right now.  Under the reports and Conditions board you can read about some others experience out on the lake.  Good luck.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Unfortunately there isn't a place very close to Rawlins for bass... but...

You can catch them at Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Smallmouth) but they are almost impossible to catch ice fishing.

There are largemouth bass in Sloans and Absaraca lakes in Cheyenne.  And there are LMB in Festo Lake, Packers Lake, and Hawk Springs lake.

Greyrocks Reservoir and Wheatland Reservoir #1 are good places to catch smallmouth bass.   Good luck!

Unfortunately, the smallmouth are pretty much gone from the Gorge thanks to the Burbot:(

Offline bh91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Rock lake also is a decent place to catch lmb... Most are small but I've caught a 4lber there and it is pretty simple to fish out of if your on shore. To me sloans/absarraca seems highly pressured for bass. Ice has completely melted last I saw at wheat land 1,festo and Rock lake when. I went up there last Friday

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:47 PM »
It's not in state but elkhead in Colorado isn't too far...

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:28 AM »
It's not in state but elkhead in Colorado isn't too far...
that's down by Craig right? Are there decent size bass there?

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:21 PM »
that's down by Craig right? Are there decent size bass there?

Yessir.   And nice pike.   IMO best pike fishing in the state.    Get it before our CPW kills em off.

Offline drahthaar1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2017, 05:29 PM »
I'd second elkhead, never ice fished it but it's a lot of fun in a boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.