Author Topic: recon 5  (Read 1222 times)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
recon 5
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:28 AM »
i have a recon 5 and want to know if the battery should be charged periodically if not used for extended time.thanks

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: recon 5
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Yes, get yourself a smart maintainer/charger and leave it hooked up.  I use one of these http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK%20Multi%20US%203300 for boat, another for ATV and one for all other small batteries.  They stay hooked up ALL the time except when using the batteries.  Last boat battery went 12 years, RV was 11 and my ATV has the original battery 8 years old.   It's the 3300 model.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Yes, get yourself a smart maintainer/charger and leave it hooked up.  I use one of these http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK%20Multi%20US%203300 for boat, another for ATV and one for all other small batteries.  They stay hooked up ALL the time except when using the batteries.  Last boat battery went 12 years, RV was 11 and my ATV has the original battery 8 years old.   It's the 3300 model.

Those trickle charges work well with lead-acid batteries, but I will not use one on any of my Lithium batteries.  I am not sure if the Recon 5 uses Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer, but overcharging a lithium battery can ruin it or even lead to a lithium fire (like the Chinese knockoff Hoverboards and Samsung Galaxy 7 phones).  The manual for the Recon says to charge after each use and disconnect the charger when the red charging light turns green.  I follow those directions and have not found significant loss of battery life between uses (up to 4-5 days, and always stored indoors).

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Those trickle charges work well with lead-acid batteries, but I will not use one on any of my Lithium batteries.  I am not sure if the Recon 5 uses Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer, but overcharging a lithium battery can ruin it or even lead to a lithium fire (like the Chinese knockoff Hoverboards and Samsung Galaxy 7 phones).  The manual for the Recon says to charge after each use and disconnect the charger when the red charging light turns green.  I follow those directions and have not found significant loss of battery life between uses (up to 4-5 days, and always stored indoors).

They do have a specific Lithium battery charger too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.