Author Topic: Fishfood  (Read 705 times)

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishfood
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Has anyone else seen the article about the trout the Alaskan DNR was cleaning, during a research project, that had a dozen baby shrews in its belly? It made me wonder what is some of the stuff you guys find in your fishes belly when cleaning? Or do you even look? I always find bluegill & baby largemouth in the Pikes bellies that I spear or catch on tip ups. I've also seen 8-9" bonus in walleye & Lakers bellies...What say you guys?

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
Re: Fishfood
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:32 PM »
i have found 7" walleye in 22" pickerel, 6-7" perch in walleye and always seem to find baby gills and gobies in perch and of course the normal shiners.
icejohn

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Caught a bass that regurgitated a large mouse or a small rat in the live well..     :sick:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:50 PM »
inside of trout ive found mice,,,a snake,,,big salamanders,,,huge plastic bass senko worms...one trout had lots of little black snails...chunks of wood...some trout have eaten small stones and their bellies felt live bags of gravel...one trout liked to eat green frogs

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I found a green olive in the belly of a cutthroat once.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I caught a male steelhead and I accidently nicked its stomach and out came a bunch of smelly eggs.i thought it was a hen for a minute but took a  closer look and it was about 50 spawn bags in different stages of decay.no hooks.must of been a good bait stealer or eating bags off snags.idk

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:21 PM »
In lake trout, I found a small frog frozen in its belly?? and in many fish, mostly trout, I find filters from butts....really discusting finding butts all over the ice, but fish do "feed" on them and they do not digest!
Please, if you pack them in, pack them out. We all would appreciate it.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Ive found birds...sparrows... in the belly of a cat fish. About a 7 pound catfish. I also found a pencil in a cat fish one time about 4 inches long. Tight Lines.

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:10 PM »
I found a rubber nightcrawler in the stomach of a pike. A co-worker of mine found a cooked bratwurst in the stomach of a pike.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 01:18 PM »
A guy I was fishing with once caught a small yellow perch and fileted it, and was using one piece of a filet as bait.  At the end of the day he dumped the pieces through the hole when we packed up.  I went out cusk fishing a while later in a different area, one of the cusk I caught had a yellow perch filet in its belly.  Couldn't believe it.
-Matt

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2017, 02:45 PM »
I have seen big brown trout with chipmunks in there stomachs. I have heard of them eating mice as well. Even to the point that I started tying mouse flies for spring.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I've caught trout with senkos rocks and pineneedles in their stomach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.