Author Topic: cleaning trout  (Read 976 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
cleaning trout
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 12:32 AM »
I made a video of cleaning and filleting the trout we got the other day.   Can anyone critique it for me.  Please let me know what you think, even if its bad.
Jake

https://youtu.be/A1kZ--ZVWaI

Offline Amik

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cleaning trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 01:01 AM »
Pretty good. what I do different is push the knife on my initial pass along the back bone as you do on the second side. I also cut around the fins on the belly and remove the pin bones the same way I would remove the "Y" bones on a pike. The pin bones are almost exactly in the same position. This gives you a completely boneless fillet and gives me piece of mind when the grand kids are eating my fish.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:06 AM »
Looks good to me Jake, wish I was there, ha. 

I noticed the roe went with the discards.  Is there a law against using that as bait?  Or was it just too immature?

Looks like a great place to be a kid.     ;)2

Thanks in advance for any info on the roe.

Tom

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Great video, makes me hungry for trout. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Cut the fins off, should be a little easier to get around and make a straight cut. All in all, good video. Always great to see the future generation learning.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Looks great to me.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My bride and son like our trout with the heads cut off, gutted, belly stuffed with onion, jalapeno peppers and garlic rapped in foil on the grill... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:33 AM »
 My nephew when he was a little guy would have his nose right in there while I cleaned fish... had to push him back so I had room to work. We always had to cut open the belly to see what they were eating too.... LOL

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:10 PM »
I fillet trout very much like you do. The only difference is that after I make the initial cut from the belly vent to the head, my next cut is just behind the gill plate only as far as the backbone. When I feel the knife hit the backbone, I turn the knife blade to face the tail, cut through the rib bones all the way to the tail. I repeat the process for the other fillet, then trash the guts, head and backbone. I then take my knife and remove the rib bones and trim off any remaining fins. Works for me! Good video though, thanks!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Looks good to me Jake, wish I was there, ha. 

I noticed the roe went with the discards.  Is there a law against using that as bait?  Or was it just too immature?

Looks like a great place to be a kid.     ;)2

Thanks in advance for any info on the roe.

Tom

We can use the roe, But for trout I find shrimp to be less messy and just as effective.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Nice video, my 2cents:

On all but the biggest lakers I prefer cutting through the ribs, then taking them off as a separate step, because I'm so prone to catching 1 or two as I'm rolling the fillet back from the backbone.  I gut them while leaving the head on, then take the two fillets off the spine and wipe down my table before working through my fillets removing ribs and ventral fins.  I'd be slower than you by a touch, but not by much.

I also like pulling the ventral fin forward as I'm about to start my cut behind the gill plate.  That usually makes the pin bone stand against the skin and I can then slip my knife under it and minimize meat waste while ensuring boneless*.

*My mother in-law insists that leaving the row of pins in the back is not reasonable.  I shudder at the thought of all the meat wasted and funny 2-part fillets... :)

What I'd like to swap techniques for is cutting out cheek meat.  It's precious stuff!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I keep cheeks off of the halibut I catch, but that's about it.  Those trout cheeks would be pretty small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.