Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Sep 19, 2017, 10:54 PM
MyFishFinder.com
Just like iceshanty but warmer

Author Topic: Are walleye line shy?  (Read 833 times)

Cbass123

• IceShanty Rookie

Are walleye line shy?
« on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:57 PM »
I'll be fishing for pike in a lake that has a good amount of walleye as well, and I have no experience with walleye.  Will they be scared off by a quick-strike rig or wire leaders? 

bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Are walleye line shy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I would say yes, but thats just my opinion, my tips are set up for walleyes so I use a mono leader

Whytie

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 09:54 AM »
80/20 I would say 80% of the time they are line shy. Jjigging for walleye I use a 2 foot floro line tied to my main line. When watching them om camera they would spook when they could see the braided line or a leader. The other 20% it doesn't matter, when they are aggressive they will bite. These times are usually first and last ice, before sun rise and just before sunset.

italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie

• have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:35 PM »
i know they can be at certain times or in body's of water that are clear. I really like fluoro carbon line(6-8lbs) because its almost invisible in water.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:43 AM »
I've never fished for or caught a Walleye through the ice and want to give it a try and would like to know what weight line do you guys use for the main line and leaders? 

CowDawg

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I'm beginning to think NO to being line shy..  ???

It was just about 3 weeks ago during the warm weather break I went Channel Cat fishing on the Susquehanna with Chez..  I picked up a nice 20" Walleye fishing off the river bottom.

Gear used:  Main line was 10 braid, heavy swivel, 2 oz. lead weight, leader was about 16" of 10lb. floro., tied to a #3/0 circle hook!  = 20" Walleye.  Go figure.... :)

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved