Author Topic: Smtty Sled Question  (Read 1174 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smtty Sled Question
« on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:03 PM »
So I got my Smitty Sled assembly kit (Thank You Smitty!) and I am looking for skis to attach. What  type of skis have been working the best for you ? Short, long, fat, cross-country with skins??

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smtty Sled Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:06 PM »
You don't have your location listed, but if you were near the Castorland, NY area I'd have a pair of downhills I could give you.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Downhills approx 60-72" long - the free-er the better-er.   I paid $5 for a set.  Thrift stores, yard sales, trash bins, throw-aways from a ski store would be a great bet at the moment.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Similar situation here.  Are 120 cm downhill skis too short?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:04 PM »
120cm is about 48", should be long enough but longer would be better.     I was looking at Goodwill stores until I found some on Craigslist for $10.  Mine are the same length as my Clan Nanook, about 5 feet long.  If my skis were any shorter I might have raised the height of the smitty, like use a 2x8 instead of 2x6.  Easier to see and center the load....maybe not.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Koeby thanks for offer, but I am in Utah. Royalwapiti thank you for picture. Found a couple of 60 inch ski downhill skis at thrift shop for ten dollars. Appreciate all the comments. I will be Smitty-Sledding this weekend!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:13 AM »
I just put a post on facebook asking if anyone had any old downhill skis and had a pair within 10 minutes  @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Koeby thanks for offer, but I am in Utah. Royalwapiti thank you for picture. Found a couple of 60 inch ski downhill skis at thrift shop for ten dollars. Appreciate all the comments. I will be Smitty-Sledding this weekend!

Post a pic when you get your "Smitty" together.......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:47 AM »
Royalwapiti..... just asking??  Since you're pulling your sled with an ATV....why even bother building a Smitty Sled??

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Who knows ...

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11:08 AM »
I built the smitty for when I don't have the ATV.  It pulls a lot easier whether on a ATV or by hand.   But I thought why not use smitty when my son fishes with me. In my state we can be ticketed for riding double on an ATV, so he rides the sled.  So there is 175 pounds more on the sled.  Less wear on sled with smitty.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:55 PM »
ahh it will pull it no problem. I pry for snow. When on glair ice with my jet sled it will swing off to the side of me when I turn even with a tow bar. With 4-5 inches of snow it keeps the sled behind the wheeler nice with 200 pounds of gear. I think I the skis would cause more problems . What happens when you hit a bump on the ice or and a ski snaps off . I've seen my jet sled come off the ice about a foot while going 50 mph ha ha thank god for the cover

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:46 PM »
ahh it will pull it no problem. I pry for snow. When on glair ice with my jet sled it will swing off to the side of me when I turn even with a tow bar. With 4-5 inches of snow it keeps the sled behind the wheeler nice with 200 pounds of gear. I think I the skis would cause more problems . What happens when you hit a bump on the ice or and a ski snaps off . I've seen my jet sled come off the ice about a foot while going 50 mph ha ha thank god for the cover
maybe fullthrottle should go halfthrottle...lol
icejohn

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:57 PM »
No way! I've put Over 200 miles on the ice so far this year . If the gear can't keep up I keep it home ! I don't have a wheeler so I can drive walking speed!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:38 PM »
You want the skis to cut through the snow the easiest way.  That 's why Smitty designed an angle on the riser blocks.  I use narrow country skis.  My sled is raised on 10" risers and pulls through 12" snow with little effort.

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Skis are cheap to replace.

Tubs etc. cost way more

Offline omartruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:21 AM »
 yes skis are cheap  very well said  my dad taught me that over 30 years ago been putting them on all my sleds an shantys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.