Author Topic: Flip-Over vs Hub shelter  (Read 3805 times)

Offline rudyc

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip-Over vs Hub shelter
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Howdy,

Been a hole hopper all my life and want to get a portable shack. Been looking at what's available and can't seem to make up my mind between a hub style or a flip up???
Looking at one big enough for 2 people.  My pal has a wheeler that I'll be able to use on occasion, bit not often.

Thanks

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Flip-Over vs Hub shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I have a hub shanty. I set it up in the general area I want to fish so my wife and daughter can stay warm. I then set up my tip ups around it. Then drill many holes and hop from hole to hole. A hub shanty pretty much stays in one place all day. If you are just jigging and will be moving all day, then get a flip over.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I have 4 different shelters, one smaller hub, one bigger hub, one single flip-over, and an older Minuteman with a floor.  I've used all of them this year depending on the conditions and if I'm going alone or taking the family.

If there's a foot of snow and you're walking a long way, you'll wish you had a hub.  Dragging a flip-over a long way can tire you out before you even get to your spot.  But if you want to move around, a flip-over is great to have.  If I could only have one shelter, it would probably be the large hub, but I don't usually move a lot.  There's just no easy answer for what's best.  If you can't afford both right now, think about how you usually fish and under what conditions and decide what's best for you right now.  No matter what you decide, there will be times when you wish you had the other one. 

Offline ColoradoBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:54 AM »
One additional benefit of a flip is that you can stay "outside" but have a wind block by putting the flip part way up and not flipping it all the way over. You would then of course be able to use the seating that a flip provides.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:17 PM »

good advice all.  A hub is usually cheaper, to maybe leave you room in your budget for electronics.  I'd suggest trying to find someone willing to take you out a time or two and see what they have.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:24 AM »
They both have there place , far as a flip if you put a smitty under it that helps a great deal ,and the tub on a flip carries all of your needs , if your interested in a 2 man flip take a look at the shappell fx200 , my bud has one and seems to like it , I have a different brand and much heavier

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:14 AM »
If you hole hop a lot flip is the way to go. I love my hub but use it more for a warm up area if the fish ain't real active. Too much of a pain moving the hub if your really moving around looking for fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.