New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: four wheeler regs for ny  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
four wheeler regs for ny
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:54 PM »
hello all, me and some friends are taking a trip to great sacandaga in a few weeks from mass. for some ice fishing,  been looking online about four wheeler regulations and it seems that as long as I'm registered in my state of residence then I am ok.  Is this the case? I've found a couple different pages online that are kinda confusing.  This is our first trip to this lake and we certainly dont want any issues,  thank you for any insight!

Tight lines! :tipup:
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: four wheeler regs for ny
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:32 AM »
Call the NYS DMV or NYS DEC and get accurate answers to your questions.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:30 AM »
Need registration, insurnce, and always wear a helmet.  Contact NYS DMV for registration details.

JJ

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Google has links to everything if you do a search: https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/atvs-information-owners-and-operators

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Need registration, insurnce, and always wear a helmet.  Contact NYS DMV for registration details.
And a rigid tow bar , plus watch riding double unless equipmented to due so

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:47 AM »
And a rigid tow bar , plus watch riding double unless equipmented to due so

Not to quibble, but according to the way the regs read, a rigid tow bar is only needed if you are pulling people on anything (sled, skis, etc...).  If you are only pulling equipment out, you can just use a tow rope.  I normally use a tow bar anyway.  I hate having my sled smack into the back of my wheeler.

The biggest thing is to have valid registration, insurance and helmets.  If you are legal and being safe, they normally won't bother you about things like riding double on a wheeler to get to your spot.  The authorities are out there to keep it safe, so as long as you use common sense they shouldn't hassle you.  That's been my experience anyway.

Here's the answer to your out of state registration question:

OUT-OF-STATE REGISTRATIONS

New York State honors valid out-of-state ATV registrations. If your home state does not require ATV registration, you must obtain a New York State registration before operating your ATV in this state.

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Ok, thank you all for the very helpful information
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Lot of good sound information, the ones that give you NYS enforcement links are the best. Rigid tow bar, easy do, just take a 4 to 5 ft piece of 1-1/2 ppc pipe and run your tow rope through it. Used that for years. Of course unnecessary now as I write this from sunny Florida, spending several days a week chasing and killing those pesty clay birds.
JTP

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Yeah...and it's probably lush greens and mowed fairways.........it is to weep.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Not to quibble, but according to the way the regs read, a rigid tow bar is only needed if you are pulling people on anything (sled, skis, etc...).  If you are only pulling equipment out, you can just use a tow rope.  I normally use a tow bar anyway.  I hate having my sled smack into the back of my wheeler.

That is correct.  Ridged towbar is only required if towing people.  Same as you, I like a towbar anyways.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Yeah , you need to pay the state to make them happy. Also need insurance, another big ticket they give on the lake is for having 2 people on one sled or atv normally runs about 120-180 for everything for the year. If you are going to register it in ny you need proof of ownership. Like a title. Some registrations from other states won't count as proof of ownership . I've seen dec on the lake twice so far this year

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:51 AM »

Well I stand corrected, thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Not sure if the towbar regs are the same for sleds.  Too lazy to look it up.  ;)  Sometimes a long tow rope, in messy conditions, is better than a towbar.  Just go slow.  Like SLUSH!

Fishmon

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Just buy some PVC 1"  or 1.5 "pipe, cut two 4 or 5 foot  lengths and run your tow rope through it.  Tie a loop in middle to attach to hitch and you have an instant rigid tow bar.  El Cheapo! I witnessed an accident with a long tow rope several years ago.  An ATV towing a sled with a long tow rope slowed down on glare ice and the sled kept going.  The tow rope wrapped around a rear wheel and the ATV reeled in the sled which was basically destroyed by the rear wheels which had V chains on them.  Not  pretty!  Thankfully not towing passengers, but did a tune on expensive fishing equipment and sled.

ECO said PVC was fine  since it met the intent of the regs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.