The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fishing alone?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing alone?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Are you implying that you stand? Ice fishing is mostly sitting based on my 10yrs doing it.

Based my extensive 5 years doing it, you don't need to sit too much, at least not in one spot.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline short circuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:53 PM »
I'm usually alone but not alone..the voices are always there..ha ha

burp

Me two!!!!

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Based my extensive 5 years doing it, you don't need to sit too much, at least not in one spot.

this.  I've only just started fishing hardwater this winter, but I've found that I'll set my 4 traps up guessing where a certain target zone for depth, structure, or weeds is then spend my time punching holes and jigging around.  I tend to punch holes for jigging in some kind of relation to the traps I've already set so that if i find a flag at a certain depth working better than others I already have holes ready to move stuff around. 

It is what you make of it.

I will only go out by myself if I'm aware of the ice conditions.  It could just be my new-ness to ice fishing, but walking on a body of water I know nothing about by myself does not appeal to me.  I don't want to find any "gotcha's" alone with no one to help me should something bad happen.  I tend to rely on a Buddy system for ice i've never been on before, or if I go out by myself, I'll fish a place like Barton's or Oxbow where on any weekend I'm pretty much guaranteed not to be out there alone anyways.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:47 PM »
"Loneliness is the misery of being alone, solitude is the celebration of it."  I've had great times fishing alone and with friends - granted the miserable times with friends there are always great stories...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:03 PM »
I bring a book or magazine of interest and it's not boring at all. If I do get bored waiting for flags, I jig (not the biggest jigger but I dabble), cook breakfast or lunch, talk to other fishermen, chip golf balls off the ice into holes, etc. Like most things in life, fishing alone is what you make of it. Would I rather have company? Sure. But silence and solitude can be nice too.

And I love my wife dearly haha. She'll even fish with me now and again, although I don't like her intruding on my hobbies.

Offline REDGIANT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I do a combination of both.  I always invite people but sometimes life can get in the way.  I prefer going with others, as it makes for a better time, but with the amount of time I go most can't join every time.  I don't mind going solo either, can set up where I want, move as I please, and the fish that are caught are always bigger  ;)
TIP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jeffice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I have a great group of guys I fish with. The social aspect of it, shooting the s$&t and trading stories is always more fun to me than fishing alone.  I also get just as excited when one of them catches a big fish.  We drill holes, share bait and techniques, so it feels like when one of us catches a fish, all of us can celebrate.

Having said that, if no one can go fishing and I can, I do not hesitate to go. Fishing with others is awesome, but a day on the water is what I really want to do, alone or not
In it for the fight.  Catch and Release

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:38 PM »
I haven't had a friend since I moved to Canada 7 years ago. I've grown accustomed to the solitude away from noisy New Orleans. One might say I enjoy it now. Got my own trout creek and live 2 kilometers from the bay. I do fish in a shanty village, but I dark out my windows so I can sight fish then fold up my sled and leave when it's time. I do most of my fishing during the week so I might see a few people anyway.

My father in law would come with me sometimes but he's got hip problems. I just read my kindle and drink some wine and enjoy the peace and quiet.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline Ethan11271

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I fish when I can.... if that means I'm alone then do be it! I have open invitations to many friends and if they come out the more the merrier. I have the equipment and knowledge to stay safe, comfortable, and entertained on the ice and enjoy it either way. A day on the ice is far better than a day on the couch, and trolling my buds on what their missing makes it that much sweeter.
Fish On!!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:02 AM »
I enjoy getting out in nature, as said nicely before, in solitude. Whether for a few hours or the day.

I think some people are very extroverted and have a hard time understanding how naturally introverted people can spend a day on the ice alone, contently.

There's nothing wrong with either being extroverted or introverted, fishing alone or with friends...

Do what makes you comfortable and happy.   ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Killerfish good point.  I sell enterprise software so I am forced to be extroverted every day.  After 50-60 hours of that weekly I can barely stand communicating with anyone and need the quiet time.  The nice thing had been the laker fishing...sometimes 6-8 of us out there, fishing together but separately in flipovers...you get time to socialize and time to hammer then quietly alone...we laugh when the action is good because no one talks!

Offline Fishforbass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Fishing alone is always risky from a safety point of view.
I always inform my wife and friends where I'm going and what times.
I love the silence of fishing or hunting by myself. I work in a noisy factory which makes me seek silence in nature.
I also enjoy company as well, family and friends are always welcome but hard to arrange with everyone schedule.
Alone, with family or friends ice fishing is a wonderful winter sport to enjoy!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:37 AM »
I've been asked how I can sit in my pop-up by myself all day jigging, watching my tip-ups, listening to sports talk, cooking breakfast and lunch, drinking coffee(and some tree house if not driving), and catching whatever wants to hit. It's great however it's a lot of fun fishing with a group of others also, I love both.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I would never go alone, safety aside that's a boring day sitting in a lawn chair alone for 8 hours. When I do go with friends we usually see a few guys out there solo. We just make the joke that they must hate their wives, so sitting in the cold wind alone beats spending another minute with the woman haha.
If your bored while ice fishing, you are doing something wrong. If I waited for others to fish, I wouldn't be going too often (except weekends) .  I'm out there before sunrise to sunset (that's more like 10 - 12 hours) Even when others fish, they show up at 7-8am and gone by 1-2pm, so being alone is what happens when part timers go home! There's plenty to do during slow times, move tilts around, listen to music, go on ice shanty, take a walk along the shore looking for lures in trees, cook some food, jig up some fish, etc etc.  If you are worried about the safety factor from fishing alone, learn the proper ways of checking ice and buy a floating suit if you are that worried. True die hards don't stay home because of the lazy ones that have every excuse in the book not to go. If you feel the need to get out to avoid your wife, TIME FOR A NEW WIFE! 

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Love ice fishing alone, love yak fishing alone on lakes/ponds/harbors, love surfasting and wading rivers alone.  Taking my yak offshore alone sometimes gets me spooked either because of sharks or running into fast moving weather or a striper running me into rocks way far away from where I launched...

I am a high school English teacher and I am naturally introverted so like the other guys who posted, ice fishing alone is like my Vince Vaughn wedding crashers breakfast scene when he sits off to the side to recharge and get back to nuetral.  If I can find someone to go with, great.  Most times I am working out my work schedule and husband duties and often make the decision a day before.

I also surf all year and there is no way to plan out a surf session with the wife weeks in advance.  So after work, marriage, surfing...I piece in fishing trips on the fly--and I'm often starring at a flag waiting for it to pop on solo trips.  And I'm good with that.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Fishing alone is always risky from a safety point of view.

I guess everything is risky.

I've never felt less safe being on the ice alone vs being with other people.

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:38 PM »

I guess I do it differently. It's usually pretty cold so after setting all my traps, I like to find a nice spot out of the wind, set up some chairs, build a raised fire for heat / cooking, and then chat with friends all day checking the traps every so often. I guess I go for both the fishing and the bonding. A lot of guys in here are way more into just the fishing I guess. To each their own.

One thing I do laugh at is when some crew puts in the effort to lug out and then prop up a flag, but has either no shelter or anything to build a fire. They may be cold, but they'll freeze out there supporting whatever flag they brought out. Most times once we get our fire going I'll see them start collect kindling and attempt building a fire on the shore.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I guess I do it differently. It's usually pretty cold so after setting all my traps, I like to find a nice spot out of the wind, set up some chairs, build a raised fire for heat / cooking, and then chat with friends all day checking the traps every so often. I guess I go for both the fishing and the bonding. A lot of guys in here are way more into just the fishing I guess. To each their own.

One thing I do laugh at is when some crew puts in the effort to lug out and then prop up a flag, but has either no shelter or anything to build a fire. They may be cold, but they'll freeze out there supporting whatever flag they brought out. Most times once we get our fire going I'll see them start collect kindling and attempt building a fire on the shore.
Its not much effort to bring a flag out on the ice. Perhaps they own striker gear and don't need a shelter or fire to keep warm. To me, lugging out a fire pit and wood is much more effort than a flag. Some shelters are heavy too, luckily mine is only 11 lbs.  But I don't usually set it up unless its snowing/raining or high winds on frigid days. Basically whatever makes your day more enjoyable, is all that matters 👍👍

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Its not much effort to bring a flag out on the ice. Perhaps they own striker gear and don't need a shelter or fire to keep warm. To me, lugging out a fire pit and wood is much more effort than a flag. Some shelters are heavy too, luckily mine is only 11 lbs.  But I don't usually set it up unless its snowing/raining or high winds on frigid days. Basically whatever makes your day more enjoyable, is all that matters 👍👍

To each their own I guess. If I am lugging stuff out in my sled, the stuff I put in to weigh it down is stuff I plan on using. I certainly wouldn't lug out decorations.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:08 PM »
To each their own I guess. If I am lugging stuff out in my sled, the stuff I put in to weigh it down is stuff I plan on using. I certainly wouldn't lug out decorations.
Everyone is different, like you said. Too each their own. Personally I think its just nuts dragging fire pits & fire making materials etc out on the ice. For me and many others, the cold doesn't bother us, in fact its not really ever cold to some. I rarely ever wear gloves while others have them on when its 35 -40 degrees out . Did you ever stop to think that while your laughing at a group flying a flag "sitting in the cold ",  they are laughing at you saying, "what's with the fire, its not cold out". I know I'll proudly fly my flag "decorations" every time out. Plus it fits in with my chair and weighs about 4 ounces and the shanty I use most of the time is a striker shanty suit :-)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Sat out there all weekend and watched guys building a huge fire burning pallets on a 50* day???? I was taking off sweat shirt...LOL. What is annoying is when they leave the wood on the ice and the left over pallet also. I own a nice pop-up but it's been so warm I haven't had to use it yet this year. I watch guys set up their pop-up on days with no wind or rain and just don't understand that. I dress warm, it is after all ICE FISHING, and save the shanty for extreme cold, wind, or rain and enjoy the outdoors! I simply am out there to FISH!!!!!!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Sat out there all weekend and watched guys building a huge fire burning pallets on a 50* day???? I was taking off sweat shirt...LOL. What is annoying is when they leave the wood on the ice and the left over pallet also. I own a nice pop-up but it's been so warm I haven't had to use it yet this year. I watch guys set up their pop-up on days with no wind or rain and just don't understand that. I dress warm, it is after all ICE FISHING, and save the shanty for extreme cold, wind, or rain and enjoy the outdoors! I simply am out there to FISH!!!!!!
I fished over by that pit today Mike (slow day).  HUGE pile of ash and charcoaled wood next to another older pile of ash melted into the ice.  The one from Sunday is melting in good too, with 1½ unburned pallets on top with a ½ burned pallet too! Both are EXTREMELY dangerous now!  If its not a law with a hefty fine for dumping out fire pits on the ice, it should be! Not to mention the litter (pallets)!  Having fires on the ice accomplish 2 things, making hazardous spots and littering!  If your cold, go buy real winter clothing or a shanty, leave the caveman fire to the cavemen.

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Everyone is different, like you said. Too each their own. Personally I think its just nuts dragging fire pits & fire making materials etc out on the ice. For me and many others, the cold doesn't bother us, in fact its not really ever cold to some. I rarely ever wear gloves while others have them on when its 35 -40 degrees out . Did you ever stop to think that while your laughing at a group flying a flag "sitting in the cold ",  they are laughing at you saying, "what's with the fire, its not cold out". I know I'll proudly fly my flag "decorations" every time out. Plus it fits in with my chair and weighs about 4 ounces and the shanty I use most of the time is a striker shanty suit :-)

Almost every other time I go out, after we get our fire roasting, I'll see another group go out and try to start one with wood collected along the shore. We have been laughed at a couple times but once we get the fire going we now the ones laughing back. I usually go with 3-5 other guys so there are more than enough of us to pull sleds out with wood and whatever is needed. I wouldn't do it on a weekend like last either. I'm talking the 10-20 degree days with wind. The days your beer freezes before you can finish the can haha. On those days a fire is nice for warmth and a hot lunch.

With decorations I didn't mean your little flag. That looks manageable. I am talking ones you have to drive a steak into the ice practically to support and can see from the other side of the pond.

I guess the fire makes us happy while the flag makes them happy so to each.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Almost every other time I go out, after we get our fire roasting, I'll see another group go out and try to start one with wood collected along the shore. We have been laughed at a couple times but once we get the fire going we now the ones laughing back. I usually go with 3-5 other guys so there are more than enough of us to pull sleds out with wood and whatever is needed. I wouldn't do it on a weekend like last either. I'm talking the 10-20 degree days with wind. The days your beer freezes before you can finish the can haha. On those days a fire is nice for warmth and a hot lunch.

With decorations I didn't mean your little flag. That looks manageable. I am talking ones you have to drive a steak into the ice practically to support and can see from the other side of the pond.

I guess the fire makes us happy while the flag makes them happy so to each.

Collecting firewood on shore is legal, bringing in firewood from your house is not. You will find that out of if your on DCR property and a Ranger comes by.

You have a problem with people proudly displaying the American flag??? No matter what size it is.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:14 PM »
  Collecting firewood on shore is legal, bringing in firewood from your house is not. You will find that out of if your on DCR property and a Ranger comes by.

You have a problem with people proudly displaying the American flag??? No matter what size it is.
I don't mind the bringing wood, its the leaving it on the ice when they leave. That and the pile of black coals melting through the ice.

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:18 PM »

Can you point me to the law? Not because I doubt you but because I want to actually read it and make sure what I am doing is not illegal. In my 10 years of doing it no one has ever bothered me but I'd still like to know.

And you are missing my point with the flag thing, it wasn't the type, it was that they made sure to pack the flag but not other things I'd consider more essential to a day of ice fishing. It doesn't matter at this point and was more of a joke. It's also not exclusive to 'Merica flags, 2 weeks back it was a group flying the Puerto Rico flag.

I don't mind the bringing wood, its the leaving it on the ice when they leave. That and the pile of black coals melting through the ice.

We try not to do that. Usually when the day is getting late we let it burn down to pretty much nothing to avoid leaving a smoking pile as we walk away.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:54 PM »
That pile of soot and ash causes big hazardous areas on warm sunny days. What's "essential" to you might not be to others, like fire pits & shelters (unless snowing or raining)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Man those flags sure are heavy. I think mine weighs as much as a tooth pick. It also acts as a wind sock. To be honest I don't even know how I got this thing but once it's up the flags start popping. 

westernmas on the finder

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #58 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:41 PM »
I wouldn't go either if I was sitting in a lawn chair all day. When I go out I fish though.

Bingo! Jig, jig, jig!
Just add water.

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:00 PM »
That pile of soot and ash causes big hazardous areas on warm sunny days. What's "essential" to you might not be to others, like fire pits & shelters (unless snowing or raining)

Totally understand, we all have our own ways to fish out there and come off having enjoyed our time when the sun goes down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.