The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fishing alone?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing alone?
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Hey everyone, my question is what are other people thoughts on going out ice fishing alone? I mean I would not go if ice wasn't safe but is it still a good idea?

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing alone?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:31 PM »
the more the merrier.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:48 PM »
I typically go alone but it's more of a convenience thing. I can choose my own hours and if I change my mind it doesn't affect anyone else. I try not to fish on risky ice. If I see trucks and all terrain vehicles on the ice I feel pretty safe. I also check the ice when I go out.

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:55 PM »
 I love fishing alone. There's nothing better than having the whole place to yourself, fishing at your own pace, anywhere you please. Complete and utter silence, too. Just me and the fish.
 Weekdays see far fewer people on the ice, though I usually can only get out on weekends.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I like fishing alone for pike.  I like fishing new spots alone too.  From a safety aspect (because I assume this is the basis for your question) I would suggest that you are no safer with people around you because it assumes too much of strangers.  Personally I can't expect people I don't know to responsible for my well being.  So I take it upon myself to be prepared to a point where I am confident I can get myself out of trouble.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Before I answer need more information ...

are you fishing alone because your friends think work is more important than ice fishing?
can you carry own gear on and off the ice without assistance?
is your spot secluded enough so nobody else will start fishing with you because they think you are lonely?
if you die on the ice... will your fishing equipment be donated to a worthy fisherman?
can you ignore the people that tell you that ice fishing alone "is not a good idea"?
do you like ice fishing alone?

If you answered YES to 4 or more of the above...my thought is..."going out ice fishing alone" is a good idea.

BTW ...I am heading out to central MA early Saturday morning.   If you see an older guy standing alone, head down peering into his Vexilar, with a happy look on his face ...don't bother to stop by and say hello ...I am fishing alone.

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:23 PM »
From a safety aspect (because I assume this is the basis for your question) I would suggest that you are no safer with people around you because it assumes to much of strangers.  Personally I can't expect people I don't know to responsible for my well being.  So I take it upon myself to be prepared to a point where I am confident I can get myself out of trouble.

I agree.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Interesting post ... didn't realize others felt the same about fishing "alone". 

Maybe us "aloners" should start posting when and where we will be fishing... thus avoiding an awkward random encounter of a fellow "aloner".   

BTW ... there is derby on Lake Ellis this Saturday... that I won't be at ...

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:27 PM »
I fish alone 95-98% of the time.
I don't mind company, but all my friends and relatives always seem to have something else to do....every time I make an offer.

I usually end up talking with other anglers and people venturing out on the ice.

Because I fish alone a lot, I am more diligent with checking ice safety!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Ok thanks guys I'm going out tomorrow morning then

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Always alone. I actually don't like fishing with others. Feel I cant just do "my thing"

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:59 AM »
Either or,  doesn't bother me to fish alone. Not many put in the long full days, so I'm alone at some point anyways.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:03 AM »
If I waited for other people (buddies, brothers, etc), I'd never go fishing!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Hey everyone, my question is what are other people thoughts on going out ice fishing alone? I mean I would not go if ice wasn't safe but is it still a good idea?

By other people I assume you mean a friend(s) and not strangers. If thats the case, i prefer to fish with a friend/family. Having someone to chat with, bounce ideas off of, and help track down the fish can be the difference between a skunk and an epic day. Nice to have someone around you trust if you need help as well. That being said, going alone wouldnt keep me from going.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I fish alone for probably 150-200 hours a year and I bet I fish with other people another 100 or so. There are good aspects of both. Fishing solo, you have your alone time to think and nobody sees you set the hook on a log. On the other hand there is no better feeling than taking a friend out and putting them on the fish.

Cheers,

Pete

Offline drewsnutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Its good to know im not alone being alone.  I moved away from my fishing buddy so ive been going alone alot lately and my buddy (not my girlfriend) seems to check on me if he knows im out.  I like going alone with a strategy,  ive been doing the football field area and putting the traps in a tennis ball court area.  My buddy doesnt get it and likes to put traps 100ft away from eachother in a straight line for 1000 feet and walk all day.    For safety I keep picks around my neck,  I bring 2 throwable PFD seat cushions that I tie to me while I punch holes and always keep my sled 15 feet from where im drilling.  I thought about one of those airplane PFDs that blow up when you pull the cord but havent felt that unsafe yet.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:32 AM »
I have spent many hours fishing alone and am sure I will in the future... That being said, I like fishing with others (when they can keep up) and best of all, you get better pictures of the fish you catch when there is some one else to take it!

I thought about one of those airplane PFDs that blow up when you pull the cord but havent felt that unsafe yet.

I use one of the Coast Guard Approved "Fanny Pack" style inflatables for both hard and soft water. I even use it when wading big rivers, a good piece of mind...

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I'm usually alone but not alone..the voices are always there..ha ha

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:17 AM »
after 30 years of fishing I like to fish with others more now then in the past, but don't mind the alone time with my finned friends!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:24 AM »
the fish aloners club ice gathering! no one will show

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I fish alone a lot of the time. I always extend the offer to some of my friends, but can't get them to commit. Maybe I can't close my sales pitch?

As long as I know the ice is safe, it doesn't bother me one bit. It's definitely better in a group, but going out alone is better than not going at all.
Marking anything?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I'm usually alone but not alone..the voices are always there..ha ha

burp

Priceless!  To add...there is fishing I like doing with company...smelting, crappies, even trout...

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Again thanks guys I went out and checked ice today was anywhere from 3-4 plus inches was gonna go and get gear but when I went to check shiner traps they only had a few in each. I'm probably going tomorrow if anyone in interested in joining my give me a shout

Offline jazz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:42 AM »
After 30 yrs of always fishing with my buddies, I went out alone a few years ago....loved it. I do more of that now.  ;)

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Fish alone Drink alone its all the same. Company is always better but if you have to get out alone so be it. Fish away
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:52 PM »
I fish alone the majority of the time.

It's not because I don't like company or want it, but because I fish when the time is right or the conditions optimal, and when you fish year round it tends to weed out the weaker constitutions and trickles down to just me....

That and most of my fishing companion choices are not as committed (fanatical) about fishing as I am.

I fish year round, fresh and salt, day and night and not everyone has the luxury of lots of free time.
Although they can't always go when I do, the invitations are always offered just in case!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:54 PM »
I would never go alone, safety aside that's a boring day sitting in a lawn chair alone for 8 hours. When I do go with friends we usually see a few guys out there solo. We just make the joke that they must hate their wives, so sitting in the cold wind alone beats spending another minute with the woman haha.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I would never go alone, safety aside that's a boring day sitting in a lawn chair alone for 8 hours. When I do go with friends we usually see a few guys out there solo. We just make the joke that they must hate their wives, so sitting in the cold wind alone beats spending another minute with the woman haha.

I wouldn't go either if I was sitting in a lawn chair all day. When I go out I fish though.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:14 PM »
I wouldn't go either if I was sitting in a lawn chair all day. When I go out I fish though.

Are you implying that you stand? Ice fishing is mostly sitting based on my 10yrs doing it.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Are you implying that you stand? Ice fishing is mostly sitting based on my 10yrs doing it.

Jig, move, jig, move, punch more holes, repeat. If youre just punching holes and sitting on your duff all day..That sounds boring.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.