New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Locating Perch  (Read 2239 times)

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Locating Perch
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Here's a question for the perch pros..... We have typically caught them in the deeper flats on this smallish Reservoir about this time of yr. However, lately they have been shallower, 15-20 fow while the deeper flats are ghost towns?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Locating Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I think the wacky winter has messed with the seasonal migration of perch. That being said, look for the weed beds. I gonna bet that they are hanging there as the thinner ice is allowing the weeds to still undergo photosynthesis and thus produce oxygen. The fish don't need to move deeper for oxygenated water.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:49 PM »
just a  guess  but  lot  of run  off this  year  that  shallow  water might be  a little  warmer  then  usual  , my guess  you have  more  insect  and  small  crustation activity  ....  good  scud  hatch  maybe  ...perch  are    following   temp , oxy., or  food 

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Yeah I figured maybe it was a food driven thing but to drill 40 holes and not mark a fish seemed unreal. I should've put my camera down there but I'm sure the weed bed is still healthy.

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:31 AM »
On our local Albany Area lake they have moved from deeper flats to rocky points, they are loaded with some kind of tiny shrimp looking things, all big fatties, seems they are following this hatch type event.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:51 AM »
On our local Albany Area lake they have moved from deeper flats to rocky points, they are loaded with some kind of tiny shrimp looking things, all big fatties, seems they are following this hatch type event.
that is real great info,thanks
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:03 AM »
I think the wacky winter has messed with the seasonal migration of perch. That being said, look for the weed beds. I gonna bet that they are hanging there as the thinner ice is allowing the weeds to still undergo photosynthesis and thus produce oxygen. The fish don't need to move deeper for oxygenated water.

Caught two 13 inchers on a large 6 fow weed flat last weekend ...one of which was spitting up 1 inch or so sunfish/bass fry ..I got snagged on some weeds which upon inspection were mostly green . Fish fry will use the weeds as cover as long as the weeds are green ...the perch will graze through the flat ...if you can find and changes/edges on the weed flat ...bottom composition ..rock piles...etc it tends to be a good/better/best spot but they will be on the move so wont stay long but hold up some  .Hard to stay on top of them on the shallow flat ...stay put or drill baby drill.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:06 AM »
Yeah Moose, they were puking up little brown worms last time I was out. On the keepers I was milking that stuff back down the hole, creating a feed zone.

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Ive mostly had success in deeper water this year, but have had a couple days where moving to shallower water was the answer.  Seems like they're moving a lot more than normal.

I caught a 13.5" fattie two weeks ago in about 40' fow and found a baby crayfish in his stomach.  ???

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Now you give me your secrets Rugburn!  If I get a chance today I'm going back there and going to explore that area with my camera and another section to see what's on bottom there. This working stuff is overrated😂

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Yeah Moose, they were puking up little brown worms last time I was out. On the keepers I was milking that stuff back down the hole, creating a feed zone.

That is an important observation.   If they are brown to brownish red or rusty looking, they are blood worms.   Blood worms live in soft bottom muck, usually in deeper water.   When i see that I will take a hali or heavy jig head, load it up with maggots and pound bottom with it.   Perch that are feeding on bloodworms tend to kick up some silt when they are doing it, and thats what the hali pounding bottom looks like.   Tying a fly in a foot or two above your main offering will often times pick up the bigger perch in this scenario.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:36 AM »
 You pointed it out Moose, I just took it one step further. Besides you and your Daughter outfished Frank and I anyway.  @)    Hope to get out Saturday.... ;)

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Turns out my critters were a freshwater shrimp..pictures looked just like them

Amphipods—These scuds and “freshwater shrimp” live in ponds, lakes, rivers, and streams. They tend to cling to bottom or weeds and range in size from about 5 mm to 20 mm. Amphipods are most active at night, and they tend to thrive in cold, dark environments. Specimens have been found 300 meters down in Lake Superior. They tend to skitter on their sides, hence the nickname “sideswimmers

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/fishing-for-panfish/#ixzz4Y7uInnY5

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Turns out my critters were a freshwater shrimp..pictures looked just like them

Amphipods—These scuds and “freshwater shrimp” live in ponds, lakes, rivers, and streams. They tend to cling to bottom or weeds and range in size from about 5 mm to 20 mm. Amphipods are most active at night, and they tend to thrive in cold, dark environments. Specimens have been found 300 meters down in Lake Superior. They tend to skitter on their sides, hence the nickname “sideswimmers

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/fishing-for-panfish/#ixzz4Y7uInnY5

Also the food base for Lake George's perch

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Also the food base for Lake George's perch

Lake George perch are often part of MY food base ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Lake George perch are often part of MY food base ;D

They fear the reaper when they see that ol' jig n plastic come rocketing down  ;D

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Yeah some of the perch we caught were puking up the same, I'm just a bit baffled as to why they completely moved off the deeper flat 2 wks ago to being in 15 fow on the weeds. But, we didn't fish the weeds then and there probably was some perch there then. Typically this area is good for flatfish. I guess its kinda like going to a buffet..... why eat the same thing twice?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Barometric pressure will make them move up and down of a shelf/flat...on small dish bowl type lakes any lil depression can hold fish on high pressure days .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Yeah some of the perch we caught were puking up the same, I'm just a bit baffled as to why they completely moved off the deeper flat 2 wks ago to being in 15 fow on the weeds.

In my experience, fish will usually hit the blood worms earlier in the winter when there is still enough oxygen to comfortably spend time in those deeper areas where the bloodworms hang, then switch up to deep weeds when the ice gets a little snow cover.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:00 PM »
That's pretty accurate info Red, we don't catch many perch  shallow on this lake mid winter. But this weedline runs out to about 18' then bottom is soft that tapers to 30' flat and deeper. Ironically, there was snow on it when we fished it last. I'm going to keep track of the bite there with and w/o snow.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Perch might be the coolest fish to pattern because they are reliable in that regards, but there's always a unique little twist on every single lake.   Figure out some patterns, and your perch fishing gets alot easier.

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Perch might be the coolest fish to pattern because they are reliable in that regards, but there's always a unique little twist on every single lake.   Figure out some patterns, and your perch fishing gets alot easier.

And sometimes they're just everywhere! I fished a lake a few weekends ago and I was catching perch everywhere from 8 FOW all the way down to 30! And I was catching tons everywhere in between. Tho i will say the larger ones were concentrated in about 15 FOW.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:05 PM »
And sometimes they're just everywhere! I fished a lake a few weekends ago and I was catching perch everywhere from 8 FOW all the way down to 30! And I was catching tons everywhere in between. Tho i will say the larger ones were concentrated in about 15 FOW.

thats a good sign of a healthy, productive perch fishery right there!   If you can find a deep cut near their spawning grounds, you can really clean up when the ice starts to get soft in march!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:08 PM »
 Yeah, best time to be out. When your hole looks like you spilled milk into it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.