Author Topic: Improvements to Polar Bird Hubs?!  (Read 4460 times)

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Improvements to Polar Bird Hubs?!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:04 AM »
I think we all have to remember in the end that PolarBird can't incorporate a lot of these ideas because it will end up being an $800 hub shelter. By adding summer camping options to an ice fishing hub would be nice but I'm guessing is cost prohibitive.  Remember these high quality shelters are currently $300-400 now without all of our suggested add-ons (which is reasonable by the way).  You can buy a plain car or a Cadillac model with options but you will pay more for the options.  They have to sell a lot more plain cars to be able to market these shelters to specific group of anglers.  I've seen some great ideas here and think they will definitely use some of these ideas.  I think starting with windows, wide adjustable straps for tie downs, good zippers, nice doors, ceiling nets and a decent oversize bag is a great start.  I think we all want an affordable hub but have to realize in order for PolarBird to make money they can't do everything.  Oh I forgot, please change the yellow material  :thumbsup:

Thanks PolarBird for allowing us anglers to provide some input.  Hoping to see you at the St. Paul Ice Show in 2017

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Sealed seams as mentioned would also be great, as I seem to find myself out in rain quite often.

This video should ease everyone's mind about the need for sealed seams.  I was completely prepared to waterproof my 3T this season with Camp Dry or a similar product until I saw this video.

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:24 AM »
This video should ease everyone's mind about the need for sealed seams.  I was completely prepared to waterproof my 3T this season with Camp Dry or a similar product until I saw this video.

Great video, thanks. To be clear, I wasn't trying to disparage PB, just following others suggestions that sealed seams are nice. Apparently they've done a great job of it already. I'm closer to a decision I guess.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Lots of great ideas here but in my opinion all shelter manufacturers miss the ball with their material selection. 300, 600, 900 denier, insulated etc.
Go to ( http://wintertrekking.com/equipment/hot-tenting/ ) and read the truth about winter tent material.
Making a shelter out of sail-silk would cure all the breathing, sweating, dripping and weight problems associated with todays materials.
I'll take a 2T and a 3T. Thank you very much. Have a nice day.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:36 AM »
a lot of times if I don't want to use the precut holes in the floor I set it up with the floor folded in half and fish 4 holes across too.i would  like to see a strap sewed on the outside of the shelter with a buckle/velcro to wrap the shelter up before sticking it the bag.my polarbird 4t is great and everybody that fishes in it sees it a quality well  built hub shelter.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Actually Doc, that strap would have to be sewn on the inside somewhere.  Remember the hub is inside out when it's folded up.  I REALLY like that idea though!  And I vote for velcro!
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:31 PM »
A velcro strap, sewn in, is an outstanding idea especially for taking it down in wind. From a manufacturing standpoint that would also be relatively inexpensive.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Actually Doc, that strap would have to be sewn on the inside somewhere.  Remember the hub is inside out when it's folded up.  I REALLY like that idea though!  And I vote for velcro!
that's what I meant.haha.just something to tame the beast before throwing it in its bag.or just strap it up and throw it in a sled at the end of the day when I'm to lazy/tired to put the 4t in its bag.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:33 PM »
You guys are the best and there is a million good ideas in here. As stated above we can't incorporate all of them unless you guys want a hub shelter that costs 1000 bucks :)

But yes there are a few low cost additional ideas that we love. We will send you all your design engineering checks in the mail :) JKJK but we do greatly appreciate  the insight and will continue to try to bring you guys the best shelter we can at an afordable price.

We will also let you ice shantiers in on the inside info first since you are close to our hearts. Keep the ideas coming!
The Polar Bird Team

Offline snoprojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:20 PM »
A double Hub. Windows. Dark fabric so you can sight fish and spear.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Any flip overs in the future??

Not right now but we are experimenting with them. OUr goal would be to make something totally unique. Not just a copy of the current offerings. That will take a little time to get developed tho!
The Polar Bird Team

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Looks like Qube tent is a start up company, they look pretty nice, I like the linking capabilities. They won't be available to ship until July 2017. They do need to tweek a few things like putting the size for each model in the description.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2017, 07:33 AM »
3300 takes things too seriously. And I think he wants a house on ice, not a light weight movable shanty. They are 32 pounds as is. Add too much more they will be over 50. But while we are on the subject. Yes some ladies of the night is a great addition and sale point.LMAO

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 04, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Your company is Polar Bird Ice Shelters.
How about a SHELTER. 3 walls and a roof.
Many of us would like a place to sit down and relax for a few minutes. Also a place for the ladies and kids, grandkids to get out of the weather.
A home-base. Here in the north-east you're allowed 5 to 15 lines depending what state you're in. Tip-ups and jigging is the norm.
A full wall view would be outstanding.
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.