Author Topic: Improvements to Polar Bird Hubs?!  (Read 4459 times)

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Improvements to Polar Bird Hubs?!
« on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:22 PM »
There has been many topics on this in the past but we wanted to get all the ideas into one thread if we could.
As everyone on this forum should know by now we greatly appreciate your feedback.

We would love to know what improvements you would like to see from us.
We have heard you loud and clear about larger windows. Those will be coming next year.

What else would you guys like to see?
The Polar Bird Team

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Improvements to Polar Bird Hubs?!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Any flip overs in the future??

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I would think a spearing/sight fishing model would be a great seller. The polar bird Raven, all black.. Or the Blackbird!

Also for windows, removable, replaceable, with good covers to keep light out if wanted..

Thanks for asking us...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I also would like to see a all black spearing/sightfish model.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:46 PM »
I would think a spearing/sight fishing model would be a great seller. The polar bird Raven, all black.. Or the Blackbird!

Also for windows, removable, replaceable, with good covers to keep light out if wanted..

Thanks for asking us...

<°)))>{

Like a black out  interior and camo exterior to hide from other fishermen??  Like digital snow camo ?? lol's but keep the reflective strips for night fishing, for safety.. for sure windows so you get a 360 view of the area around you ..with close able flaps that lock out light. And maybe sky lighting in the roof?? So you can tie knots with out turning on your head lamp or lantren etc..etc.. and close and lock out all light.. like a flap that covers the edges of the window shade so it locks out all light.. like a velcro pleat that double over and  locks the window covering from letting  light in??  Just thinking for spearing guys and how about a roof support pole so the roof don't colaps in on those windy days??

Any how thank you for asking..

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:58 PM »

Thanks for asking us...

<°)))>{

Just to add about windows..

Height should be approximately eye level when seated, one for every side. Removable can also serve as a vent..

All black, inside and out.. :tipup:

<°)))>{

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Like noted above...sales would soar with removable windows  at eye level when sitting in a chair... On all 4 sides

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:46 PM »
~eskimo quality ice anchors.

~earth anchors.

~ratchet ropes.

~C shaped doors. so the door goes across the hub seam and makes a bigger entry like shappell does.

~led lighting built-in the top or a way to add our own. meaning leave velcro tabs for us to use in key areas such as the top bars. at least run wires along the seams or a way for use to fasten our own with sewn in velcro straps in key points.

~a battery storage area. this would be near the wire that comes down to have a centralized battery and control area if we want to use it.

~a custom remote control for your lighting kits.

~door lighting for while your outside to have a light on out side.

~a 360 degree led strobe light for those camping on ice on the center top hub area.

~seam tape and make it water proof. and /or a rain top, like a tarp that is custom fit to go to each hub eye bolt. if you did this you could use a light colored roof fabric and offer this as a dark out roof/rain cover for it.
make the windows water proof so if it's raining it doesn't get inside thru the velcro. an outside roll storm flap would accomplish this and tie the roll up when not in use above the windows. velcro to hold them down in strong winds.

~make screens to replace the new windows and have at least 4 large windows. use velcro on the openings so they can be switched out to be used for camping or hunting or ice fishing (best idea so far). sold separately.

~make a floor for camping only. no holes at all.

~make a breezeway entry or hang over area to keep things out of the weather. it could be zipped on/off and be convertible. sold separately.

~make folding fabric shelving with straps holding it up from above the shelves. have inserts to go into the shelves to sturdy them up and have side flaps to hold things that may want to roll off because of strong winds or movement.

~make it a black out shelter so if you are camping people can't see how many or where you are inside of it and to absorb solar heat and to be used for sight fishing.

~offer choices of color. thinking camo would be a great add-on choice for consumers. different camo options like white camo, digital camo ect.

~a polar bird snow/dirt catcher mat.

~places to hang items like coats in the corners.

the idea is to make it useable for more than just ice fishing.  give us more reasons to spend on your shelters.
with the climate changing, we may not have ice fishing, you need a different way to keep the income from these shelters and the people who use them. it gives it's users more reason to spend with you and makes their money work harder for them. and have options to sell for upgrade after the initial sale. so end users aren't looking else where to find them and spend with some one else.

keep the cost competitive tho so your not over priced. being one of a kind would allow you to set the bar on many of these things and set the pricing to be fair for you and the consumer.
look into adding a longer warranty. do some testing like i asked about earlier about how they have been doing in russia. what kinds of failures and how many needs service or replaced or parts versus how many are in the field at the time of the study. figure out how many more you maybe able to sell because of a better warranty than your competitors. see how much more you should charge to off set these costs.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:55 PM »
You forgot "ladies of the night" at both oval doors to the shanty.....

Would a floor help those ladies with their profession?  Now I digress.....  I'm sure there are some here that can assist with that...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:01 PM »
i'm all set on the ladies department, but thanks for your concern.

how does that help polar bird?

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:06 PM »
I was kinda making a funny... You listed a million things to make it better (I'm not necessarily saying the product is good or bad) was just saying a few "ladies of the night" might help your list!!!  LOL.....  Its all good...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:12 PM »
lol
my wife wouldn't be laughing. my daughter wouldn't think it funny either.
maybe we can request some of them for you tho since you want to talk about them on an ice fishing forum.

many of the things in my list i have been thinking about as the need for them arises is all.
polar bird wants ideas.
creation comes from ideas first.
i'm glad he's asking again. he asked last year too.

to add to the list, they should build flip over shanties, i did forget that one. i can think of plenty of concepts for a flip style shelter.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:24 PM »
3300, you did bring up some excellent ideas/points to be addressed, especially the many options/add-ons.   

Well thought out and stated, Sir.   

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:50 AM »
Just thought of this comparing my frabils to each other the doors are higher up on my frabill bunker 450 then on my fishauflage ambush outpost  which makes stepping out of the door Harder to get a flag or a bell ringing on the rod having to lift your foot the extra few inches wile waring your extra layers is Harder yet.. the height was nicer on the outpost then the bunker maybe door shape should be checked be for sold  to thd public like some field testing by company on all the improvements... was also thinking of lighting like 3300 said you could make  a center roof pole that hold the roof up in high winds and use this for a battery powered light on the top of it by the hub.. like a led bubble on the end of the center support pole this could take a flasher battery and have different dimming levels etc could sell separately to match hub size could be difficult to find correct  one to use..

But for sure on my list would be black out interior  some  nice sized windows and a floor that has hole covers etc so I can sleep in it. Would be good for more then one thing with the changing environment.... and make sure crossing door thresh hold is not to high and is easily crossed.. all the other stuff is just extras so far  I like polar bird a guy I know has one and they have held up well for them..

Thanks for asking for imput..

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:45 AM »
3300 has some nice suggestions, but IMO its a bit overkill.

Well placed (eye level while seated) removable/velcro windows are a great start. And is probably the single largest drawback in their design.

The floor is nice, but IMO not necessary on the ice. I can see many guys just leaving it at home. Less to carry the better.

An all black in/out would be great. Black attracts sun light, which means free heat.

Sealed seams on the roof is nice as well to keep rain out or snow that may accumulate and melt. Would also aid in heat retention.

Move the doors so they arent in opposite corner, but across. It can be difficult getting in and out if you are sitting on the side with the door right beside you. Having to navigate around your chair to get in and out.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Request away... LOL!  Maybe my wife would be mad too...

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Yep ..less is bettah....why carry a floor,batteries,disco lights, were fishing here ..not moving away from home ..lol

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:22 AM »
How about a pole for the lady's to dance on.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:37 AM »
erik, I was gonna say that but.....lol

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Come on guys a great sponsor asked for serious opinions.
Why do you have to go here??
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:31 AM »
I’ve never fished in a PB, however there are things I wished I had when fishing in a hub so I will add those here.

-large mesh elastic storage
- quality zippers and zipper pulls
-oversized bag with pockets for misc tools and anchors
-integrated coat hooks
-a door design that doesn’t make you trip when going in and out
-integrated (sewn in) cinch strap for bundling house at the end of the day
-battery pocket
-dark insulated material (not black coating)

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:10 PM »
My suggested improvements to the original Polar Bird shelter design (I purchased the 4T model last winter):

1. Windows - Additional, larger, more durable and practically located. Position one on each of the four sides of the shelter, at a mid-height for comfortable viewing of the outdoors from a seated position. Use more flexible cold-resistant window material and avoid locations that incur tight folding during shelter take-down & storage. (Upon first setup this season I found one of my windows severely cracked/ripped.)

Keep the windows removable and replaceable, also the 'privacy' flaps.

2. Multiple floor options - Miscellaneous pre-defined floor hole layouts; buyer-defined custom hole layout; completely sealed floor, that is, without any pre-made holes; instructions and/or optional materials/kits available to conduct floor alteration or repair as necessary; or no floor ... all options priced accordingly.

Let's face it, there is little chance that many fisherman will love any one single predefined hole arrangement. Allow the owner to create the floor plan ... to cut holes or flaps in the floor if and where desired, and the ability to easily modify the layout or fix any related mistakes.

3. Air Vents - The original window locations can be retained and redesigned as velcro-sealable air vents similar to design and purpose as many competitor shelters.

Polar Bird shelter component/accessory improvement:

4. Tie-Downs (qty 4) - Include capable tie-down ratchet ropes or cam/spring buckle straps that can be tightened and extended (loosened) easily. (Although we can source separately, these should be standard equipment with any hub shelter!)

Very often users will need to anchor at least one or two wall centers down and out on the upwind side to counteract strong winds. Total of four (one for each wall) would be preferable to accommodate changing wind direction and/or leaving the shelter setup for extended periods (overnight, etc.). (Note - Four ice anchors are already provided.)

---------------------------

I must mention that I remain quite delighted with my Polar Bird 4T as-is ... none of the 'flaws' would have been a deal-breaker for me. The points above are merely suggested improvements based on my experience with the product in my ice fishing environment ... typically sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures, frequent wind, plenty of good ice to accommodate 4x4/ATV/UTV/snowmobile transportation options, variable snow depths ... no tip-ups, no spearing, rarely sight fishing, rarely walk-on.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Drift Dodger, here's the video  from Polar Bird on how to make additional holes in the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0cBgxuH5sA

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Did I mention an all black one yet?

Inside and out...

The Solar Bird?

<°)))>{

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:52 PM »
I'd like an all white version, please.  The small lakes around here don't get any snow machines to worry about, and the locals wouldn't know anyone was on "their lake".  Go in stealthy.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:57 PM »
I would like the idea of the solid floor.  Would make a great cooler season camping tent!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Drift Dodger, here's the video  from Polar Bird on how to make additional holes in the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0cBgxuH5sA

Thanks Idahogator, I had seen that video before. I was just suggesting that Polar Bird provide related instruction to be included with flooring options.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Thanks Idahogator, I had seen that video before. I was just suggesting that Polar Bird provide related instruction to be included with flooring options.
Yup, a no hole floor fits well.      :thumbsup:

But, there are some folks that are challenged to walk and also chew gum at the same time.      :roflmao: ;)2

A simple choice could make everyone happy.     :bow:

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:24 AM »
A two hub upside down 'V' style tent like the old clam Twin Hub. It's lighter and less hubs to pop than the cube style.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I'm following this with major interest. I'll be buying a new shelter before next season and PB is high on my short list of manufacturers. The only thing I can add as a suggestion is just to reinforce the need for big, properly placed windows so that I can check my tip ups while seated. Sealed seams as mentioned would also be great, as I seem to find myself out in rain quite often. Everything else, basically 3300's well thought out reply, is gravy but certainly would be nice. Maybe some of them could come in the form of add-on options.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.