Author Topic: ION 10 inch ?  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Walleyes at heart

• IceShanty Rookie
ION 10 inch ?
« on: Feb 06, 2017, 11:42 PM »
I have the new 2017 ION 5 amp in a 8 inch hole , I'm looking for some opinions on those who have the 10 inch and if it's worth buying the extra 10 , I do like the bigger holes when fishing ,

I'm just wondering does it got the balls to drill a good 10 inch hole in 36 inches of ice , or will it bog done and get stuck , M hearing some are having troubles with ice build up on the bottoms and not drilling , also heard of them get stuck in holes ,

I love mine and it's only got stuck once , any members on here have first hand knowledge withthe 10 inch , please share ,
Thanks

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ION 10 inch ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11:50 PM »
I watched a YouTube review on the 10 inch when i was shopping for augers . It didn't do great it bogged down and the blade jammed up when it pinched into the water he had to back it up and hit it again,  wouldn't waste my money on it

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:49 AM »
They work fine but your hole count will get cut in 1/2, you'll have a ton more shavings in the house, and your kids and dogs will fall down them.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:14 AM »
If the black metal down by the blades is matte finish and not shiny like the green paint on the flutes/auger bit, snow and slush will stick. Call them and they will send you a new auger bit with the correct paint on it.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:09 PM »
If the black metal down by the blades is matte finish and not shiny like the green paint on the flutes/auger bit, snow and slush will stick. Call them and they will send you a new auger bit with the correct paint on it.

Thanks for that info , I did hear something about that , I've done some researching and I think for me , I'll not go with the 10 inch , heck the ice up here already is past 36 inches and I just think these IONs don't got the balls to drill it

I'm going to maybe buy a backup gas , the big power house Eskimo 71 in 10 inch for when I do want a bigger hole ,
 Them ION guys must all be away fishing as Ive tried that number many  times with no answer and I've left messages on the Facebook page , not a answer back after 5 try's

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Lol you won't get the truth. Every guy with an ion thinks it's the best thing on earth because they spent 600 $ on it. Your the first one with an ion thats ever said they need to upgrade to a gas auger. Dona search on YouTube I came across s guy doing an on ice review with the 8 inch vs 10

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Your the first one with an ion thats ever said they need to upgrade to a gas auger.

??? Hmmm.....That's not what he said !!

I'm going to maybe buy a backup gas , the big power house Eskimo 71 in 10 inch for when I do want a bigger hole ,

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Lol yeah it is. He wouldn't use a different auger if he could just swap out the bit and drill a 10 inch hole and have it work good 😊

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:32 PM »
 :roflmao: Oh.....My bad.....I didn't realize you were speaking for him now.....Thanks for the clarification !!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:59 PM »
Speaking for someone and stating what they said and commenting on it is not even close to the same thing. ...maybe you should have someone read the post out loud so you can understand it better . My bad

heck the ice up here already is past 36 inches and I just think these IONs don't got the balls to drill it

I'm going to maybe buy a backup gas , the big power house Eskimo 71 in 10 inch for when I do want a bigger hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:07 AM »
I've had a few augers over the years , my last one befor this ION was a jiffy propane in a 10 inch , it was a great auger and never failed me , only one time taking the propane bottle off did I get my hand sprayed with propane , it you think it's cold outside , that is nothing compared to propane on your hand ,

Also one time my bottle got so cold I had a rough time getting it going , I sold it as the jiffy was heavy and I wanted a light weight auger , no gas, no propane ,   Drill a hole in the tent and no stinking fumes ,

It's a pretty good auger , but drill a bunch of 10 inch holes through the ice we get up here in northern Canada , it don't got the balls , plain and simple truth , maybe down south with 12 or 15 inches of ice ,

I love the auger for what it is , and in truth the 8 inch hole will do me , I'd just like to have a 10 inch and Ive decided I'm going to get a 10 inch ,  the new ION battery up here in Canada is about $240 for a spare , heck I'll just double it and get a 10 inch Eskimo in the 71 , unless someone can tell me of a faster more powerful auger in a 10 inch

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:57 AM »
If you're going to get a 10" as mostly a backup auger, I'd consider going with a propane again.  If you get gas and it sits around for a year or two because you didn't need it for a while, you could end up with carb problems.  You're probably better off with something that can sit in storage without gas sitting in it getting old.  That's just my opinion though.  I'm lazy and never did the post season maintenance on my gas auger that I should have.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:08 AM »
 I thought this thread was about a Jamaican woman. ;D :o

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:12 AM »
My wish is for Ion to put out a 9 inch and be done with it. After a few years with my Ion I really don't miss the bigger hole but I would like a 9 if they did one. A 10 inch hole makes any auger grunt a little, that's a lot of torque to do that. For what it is a person needs to be a dinosaur not to believe the age of electrics is here. 10 drills are a very small market I've been told by both Strikemaster and Jiffy reps. The naysayers are getting to be a smaller group everyday, but they are made for 8 inch or smaller hole people. You need 6-10 holes, go right ahead and get a 10, the auger will do it. I don't know too many people that need that many more 10 inch holes.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:42 AM »
9" augers rule...  I am so glad I found a lightly used 9" drill on Craigslist.. (Eskimo)

Do Eskimo Quantum drills adapt to an Ion powerhead?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Well , I'm not really sure on what to do now , I was going to get a Eskimo 71 as a back up and for a 10 inch hole

Seems lots of these ION's freezing up and some getting stuck in the holes , that black part on the bottom is one thing I'm hearing that's cause it it

The worse and I mean the worse of the issue is they can't even answer the phones or answer a email back , Iv'e sat on hold for 30 mins at least 5 or 6 times , that's the rudest thing and nothing pisses me off more then a company getting a person money and then having nothing to do with them or answer warranty issues ,
Maybe they gone bankrupt or into receivership ?

So for me I'll not get a Eskimo as it's owned by the same company as a backup , looks like I'll be going back to a jiffy in propane with 10 inch , it was heavy but at least they have customer service and stand by the product they sell

Just think everyone should know about this service , this is sad As i really like this ION for the lightness and for no mixing gas , that black part on the bottom should be covered under warranty for those who have them ,

Offline gotbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the colder the better
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:05 PM »

Well I'm one of those guys who bought a ION auger-- I bought a new 8" ION at Gander Mt. for $438.00. I have no issues with it what so ever. I honestly think that the ION auger is the best thing since sliced bread--period!!

:tipup:
"it really doesn't get any better than this"

"when hell freezes over--I'll fish that to"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Seems lots of these ION's freezing up and some getting stuck in the holes , that black part on the bottom is one thing I'm hearing that's cause it it
Used mine all winter, never froze up in a hole. Nothing even close to freezing up in a hole. Have yet to hear of one freezing up in a hole. If you get one with the wrong paint on it, they will replace it.

The worse and I mean the worse of the issue is they can't even answer the phones or answer a email back , Iv'e sat on hold for 30 mins at least 5 or 6 times , that's the rudest thing and nothing pisses me off more then a company getting a person money and then having nothing to do with them or answer warranty issues ,
Maybe they gone bankrupt or into receivership ?
This is no different than dealing with any other company, sometimes they are busy and you have to wait. Put your phone on speaker phone, walk away and do something else until they pick up. Its not the end of the world.

looks like I'll be going back to a jiffy in propane with 10 inch
Big and awkward to use like all Jiffys. I have a Z71, i love it. But My X is a dream to use compared to the Eskimo.

Just think everyone should know about this service , this is sad As i really like this ION for the lightness and for no mixing gas , that black part on the bottom should be covered under warranty for those who have them ,
Dude, you are talking yourself out of buying that auger for no legitimate reason at all. There was a batch of augers that were painted with the wrong paint. If you buy one with the wrong paint they will replace it, simple as that. They are not going bankrupt. They have no issues with customer service.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Yup,  you're listening to the 1% keyboard cowboys that had a problem, not the 99% that love them. They are busy with replacements they have GREAT customer service.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:07 PM »
My Eskimo will run circles around an ion .... bottom line  ;D

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Owned the big z71 10" that thing would eat some ice, however heavy unit, leaked gas on carb, problems with the recoil not even close to the quality of the ion. Ions light, no smelly gas, no starting problems. If or when my battery goes out I will buy another one, price is already going down. If I was in Alaska with real ice I could see owning gas but other than that...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Other than that you'll just suffer like the rest of them because you already wasted your money ha ha

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I'll keep on drilling after you run out of gas... hahaha.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Look kids, there's Big Ben, Parliament. ;)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Lol ok now your kidding your self we both know your battery won't hold up to a tank of gas. You'll run out of juice and I'll keep drilling until I need to refill. Ha ha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Isn't this just the funniest thing , I tried last week with emails, and at least 5 times of calling and yes I sat the phone down and waited over 30 mins , iv tried back on the same day a few times ,

So today instead of hitting the number to talk to customer service , I went to the number 5 and it took me to dealer ordering person ,  I left a really good message and told them what I thought of the customer service and after spending this kind of money on the new ION X and can't even get ahold of anyone ,

Didn't take long and my phone was ringing and it was from the lady in charge at customers service, she was honest so I think and believe, said they the company that now owns ION and Eskimo and she told me the name of it but I can't honestly remember ,

said they are overwhelmed with phone calls , like 800 a day , next year they will be better prepared
She said yes the lastest model somehow a bunch got sent out with the wrong paint on them and it's  caused some issue , she is UPS me one in the morning for next week , plus throwing it a set of blades ,

This at least made me happy , like I said , it's light and I'm getting older , I love it for no mixing gas , it's done ok with drilling past 36 inches into solid ice , only once it stuck on me ,   She did tell me that they do have 10 inch ones and I said no thanks , I know it couldn't handle it

So now I do feel a lot better after them calling me , I  just have to get me a back up auger in a 10 inch for when I want a bigger hole
If I could find someone that has a 10 inch ION that has drilled lots of holes up here in Canada , then maybe I'll spend the $150 for a new blade if it handles the ice ,
I have a big trip next week over to Manitoba for a few days and I have to make my mind up by the end of the weekend on which way I'm going

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:48 PM »
they the company that now owns ION and Eskimo and she told me the name of it but I can't honestly remember ,

Ardisam
It must be something in the water.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Who's children and/or who's legs are you looking to sacrifice to the ice Gods with a 10"?  I'm paranoid about losing stuff down an 8" and have walked by some 10" holes recently and just laughed at how rediculously huge they were.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Who's children and/or who's legs are you looking to sacrifice to the ice Gods with a 10"?  I'm paranoid about losing stuff down an 8" and have walked by some 10" holes recently and just laughed at how rediculously huge they were.

Right on VTMatt ! 10 inch holes are an abomination, and there is no place for them in 99.9999 % of the waters that can be ice fished. In the Powerball odds chance that you have a 40 plus pound pike or laker on somewhere in the remoteness of Alaska or Canada, maybe a 10 inch hole would make a difference versus an 8 inch hole.

When I see a 10 inch hole, all I can think about is that the guy must be disappointed every time a 10 inch perch comes through the hole - with all that room to spare !
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I'll have to chime in on Eskimo Customer Service.  I've dealt with them, and they are an exceptional company to deal with.  I am 100% certain the issues this winter are call volume.  They really do care!

And Eva is top notch in my opinion!   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.