Author Topic: Waubay Guide Service  (Read 4707 times)

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
Waubay Guide Service
« on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Hired Cory and Tyler from Waubay Guide Service for a group of 6. What a JOKE, they would only drill 3 holes per shack, then Tyler disappeared for 4 hours. He claimed he was  looking for the schools of perch, hard to do when your not on the ice. Tyler  came back to eat the lunch we prepared, then left again for 3 hours. Tyler came back around 3pm, reluctantly drilled us 2 more holes and left again! When Tyler came back at 5pm, he refused to look at us and nervously scratched the ice off the window in the shack. Then 5:30 told us it was time to go. Cory just flat disappeared for the whole day !! Then when they dropped us off and we paid our $150 per guy-$900, they expected a tip! Seriously if that's all it takes to be a guide- I'm available and I'll do it for half the price. I understand they can't make the fish bite, but should be willing to move a guy, drill holes, suggest different methods - you know the things you pay a guide for! Hell anyone can go to the crowd, abandon your paying customers and tell you to just keep fishing! Waubay Guide Service should be ashamed of themselves. I'll make sure to tell everyone I know to beware of them.

Offline I-Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waubay Guide Service
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Not the code of ethics I'd hire. If it's not obvious, it's a money thing. Not a quality of your trip thing. Smoke and mirrors.

Offline Poutman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Raised by badgers
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:06 PM »
That's too bad. You're not the first guy this has happened to with those so called guides.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Did they set you up in the middle of the crowd on Waubay?

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:17 AM »
They were already set up in the middle of the crowd straight east of Kanago landing, and refused to move us, even when we requested a move. Makes me and the group I was with terrified to ever hire a guide service again. We are all experienced ice fisherman, just thought a guide service could offer some tips -besides telling us to just keep jigging. If anyone can recommend a trustworthy guide service, maybe we'll return and throw down some hard earned cash into the local economy.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Seems like a story or two like this pops up every winter around this time, whether it's this guide service, or others. 
I'm sure some will have similar stories, and some will rush to stick up for the outfitter.  Not knowing what conversations you might have had with the guides in the morning and again that night, I'll reserve judgement either way.
My suggestion would be if you are hiring a guide, hire early in the season, not towards the tail end when they are starting to get burned out. 

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:21 AM »
If they are a professional guide service, they shouldn't suffer from burn-out. If they don't give 100% maybe they should try and get their jobs back at McDonalds. I was at Waubay and other parts of the north-east last week and the fishing was not great. But a slow bite doesn't give the guide service a pass on providing good service. I admire the group of fishermen for standing tall and paying the agreed price. Not sure I would have. As for the so-called guides, I will do my best not to recommend them to anyone.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline Twelveinchbit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:46 AM »
We've hired them for a 2 day trip in 2015 and 2016. Out of the four days we went 3 days were good fishing. Two of the four days we were on fish at daylight and limited by 10 am. One of the days Tyler worked his butt off drilling holes and driving all over the lake looking for fish. He finally found some about 2 hours before dark and saved the day with great fishing. The fourth day was like you described. It was very cold and they put us in a nice warm shack and left for hours without us even marking a fish. Then about an hour before dark they moved us to a shallow point near deep water for the walleye bite. I understand some days fishing is just tough so I try giving the benefit of the doubt but at least they could move a guy to try different spots. We were up there "unguided" this past weekend and the fishing was tough for us. We caught some nice fish but we had to drill a lot of holes to get them. Marked a ton of fish but just couldn't get most of them to bite.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:47 AM »
900 dollars... ouch. If I hired a guide and they set me up in the middle of the crowd on Waubay.. I would say take me back I'm not paying for this. The reason us out of staters hire a guide is so we don't have to fish the crowd that all the out of towners flock to. We hire a guide to get on the perch in a more remote location. Whether it's on Waubay or a different lake. I would of told him I could of come set up on the crowd on my own for a lot less money and apologized for bailing on him.

How was the fishing? Out of the six of you, how many were caught? Was it a complete bust?

Offline adieatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:02 AM »
If these are the guys I'm thinking of they only caught 1 fish between them and it was a dink. Perchfanatic, were you the guys we had dinner with at the new frontier?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Just a reminder, if you've had a bad experience that's one thing. If the thread turns into a bashing/attack mode, it will need to be removed. It may also be removed by a "Higher Power" mod as well. Let's keep this thread professional, I run a business and have off days myself but still try to do my best for clients like the rest of us. Thanks!  :tipup:

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:14 PM »
WYOUTDOORS-just trying to make fellow ice fisherman aware of  what could happen if they hire those guys. If they would have put forth effort, i.e. moved us around, drilled extra holes when requested to do so, etc-this post would never have occurred. My group lived up to a verbal agreement and paid the $900 fee at the end of the day. If feeling like a person has received poor service and he posts it constitutes removal of the thread; so be it. I guess by offering excuses proves the age old saying to be true- Birds of a feather stick together!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I get that. Although these threads usually end up removed because they normally deteriorate quickly. The thread has certainly been seen by other mods and the only reason I posted in here was to keep it above board. I do believe your original point has been made. Thanks.

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2017, 01:54 PM »
I bet these are the same guys a few guys i knew hired     Maybe even the same days   the guys i knew said the guide had 26 clients that day    set them up right in the middle of south waubay   cuaght like 11 perch all day and took them back to the same spot the next day     A buddy and me where out in the snobear and seen a pickup we knew so we pulled up about 30ft from their shack and their guide beat us to the back door of the bear and was ready to fight    we tried telling him we knew the guys in a shack and was just saying hi but he just stood in our faces saying    "what you doing what you doing"   I don't know the guys name but I can tell ya he didn't know what a toothbrush was. 

Offline steveice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:36 PM »
WYOUTDOORS-just trying to make fellow ice fisherman aware of  what could happen if they hire those guys. If they would have put forth effort, i.e. moved us around, drilled extra holes when requested to do so, etc-this post would never have occurred. My group lived up to a verbal agreement and paid the $900 fee at the end of the day. If feeling like a person has received poor service and he posts it constitutes removal of the thread; so be it. I guess by offering excuses proves the age old saying to be true- Birds of a feather stick together!

There is always two sides to every story. However, this post shows that you are fair minded. You would not have started this thread if it was just because you did not catch many fish.  The fishing out there lately has been very poor. Even if you had been moved…my guess is the results would have been the same.  But he should have tried to make you happy and move you. I would have moved you as many times as you wanted to( if I was a fishing guide). I have no idea why he would not drill extra holes? How hard is it to drill a few more holes?

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I had a problem with these guys.  I was on a huge school of perch on Waubay and caught many fish.  We were out hole hopping and Cory saw us catching fish and moved all 3 of his big shacks within 20 yards from us and drilled a hole right next to us.  I understand there is no law saying that he can't do that but it is just not ethical to do so.    I know I would never move in that close on someone especially with 3 big shacks like he did to us.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I'm in the wrong line of work.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:02 PM »
I'm in the wrong line of work.

you and me both

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:18 PM »
I have hired Waubay Guide service at least 2 times a year (early ice and late ice) for the last 3years. I have only great things to say about them. Had  great Conversation and learned a lot of new techniques. I would recommend them to a good friend. Sorry to hear about your  Bad experience.  It's like a movie some people love it some people hate it also like a restaurant some people say they had great service and food and another say they had bad food and poor service .

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I had a problem with these guys.  I was on a huge school of perch on Waubay and caught many fish.  We were out hole hopping and Cory saw us catching fish and moved all 3 of his big shacks within 20 yards from us and drilled a hole right next to us.  I understand there is no law saying that he can't do that but it is just not ethical to do so.    I know I would never move in that close on someone especially with 3 big shacks like he did to us.

I am new to this, but one thing I learned in my first complete year of Ice fishing.  When on a bucket hide your reeling action and don't throw your fish on the ice.  Someone will  see it and you won't be alone for long.

Last year my boy and I were brand new and we were in our flipover playing with the HB depthfinder, not even fishing.  Two different guys came over and started drilling all around us...  They each drilled  a circle all the way around us.  We were inside laughing our butt off. They thought because we were in the same spot for an hour that we must have been on them yellows.

That said, I almost hired this guy for the period between Xmas and new years, glad I didn't. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08:02 AM »
I have hired Waubay Guide service at least 2 times a year (early ice and late ice) for the last 3years. I have only great things to say about them. Had  great Conversation and learned a lot of new techniques. I would recommend them to a good friend. Sorry to hear about your  Bad experience.  It's like a movie some people love it some people hate it also like a restaurant some people say they had great service and food and another say they had bad food and poor service .

Same here nothing but good to say about them from my experiences  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.