Author Topic: Electronics  (Read 870 times)

Offline Hardwater99

• IceShanty Rookie
Electronics
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:03 PM »
New to fishing with electronics. Picked up a portable finderseams to work good got depths and different size fish swimming by. Question is where do you put your jig same depth or just above? Any info would be great .

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:27 PM »
i usually start off near the bottom and work my jig up. if the fish are feeding down right on the bottom only a few inches off i'll keep it below them, but the other than that i keep my jig just above the fish and make them chase it up or come up to it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:47 PM »
from my experiences the way a fish is designed to see is from above so I always fish above the fish never below.i rarely see  a fish swim down for a jig unless it saw it dropping from above.jmo

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 07:31 PM »
depends on the fish.

perch stay on bottom so you have to too.

suspended fish, you pick them off from the top one by one.

when you see them looking and not biting move the jig up slowly so the fish thinks it's trying to get away.

scouting fish using the bottom of the ice plate need no sonar. you have to have a dead stick waiting for them or move your jig up fast enough to try to get them to see it or just jig that area waiting for them.

Offline Hardwater99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Thanks for the info I'll take all I can get.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Most of the time start above the fish, the active feeders and aggressive fish (bigger) will be above the bottom huggers. This is especially true of crappies. Walleye will normally be close to the bottom. Sunfish can be anywhere but mostly closer to the bottom. I start just below the ice and work down in less than 20 ft. Of water. For basin crappies half way up but watch for marks above your bait on the locator. You will be surprised at how far active fish will rise to take a bait. Remember the distance below your bait that the fish show up on your locatator. Try and keep this distance between them and your bait, play keep away. Prey won't chase preditors.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Fish from the top down ...usually your first drop is your best drop ...so feather it down (especially in shallow water) watch the flasher/screen...especially the bottom for flickers/movements . You don't get a second opportunity to make a first impression presentation.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.