Author Topic: Collingwood  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
Collingwood
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Hello all new to ice shanty, I have been fishing Collingwood since Christmas and I've had a few odd days where I've caught some real nice walleye and perch. However it's been dead slow for the past 3 weeks. I got a marcum lx7 for Christmas and ive been marking lots of big fish but cannot get them to commit to anything. How has everyone else been faring with biting out there. Anyou tips would be great I love going to Collingwood cuz of the opertunity of big trophy perch and walleye.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Collingwood
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 03:41 PM »
First off, good choice on the lx7. Awesome machine!  My only advise when fish are marking but not biting is to continually change presentations until you hopefully find what they want.  Go smaller or bigger (ive found usually going smaller is better).  Go to a minnow head rather than a whole minnow or an eye or to meal worms or maggots.  Try a vertical lure like a spoon rather than a horizontal jig. Color?  Size?  Glow? Change motion. What were you doing when the mark showed?  Continue that motion to get the bite or stay motionless?  Pay attention to detail and keep experimenting.  Problem is what you figure out today may not work tomorrow.  Keep at it and if you figure it out let us all know!!

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Hello jiffy 22 and thank for the advice, I agree I have been trying smaller spoons like small pks and smaller rattling spoons, I went and got some rapala jigging raps. And small jigs, I've been using baits such as medium full minnows, minnow heads, gulp pink small maggots, meal worms and nightcrawlers. Mostly verticle jigging. Not sure what else I can try but I've been getting big marks come in but nothing. In the past 3 weeks it seems the fish will barely even nudge a bait. Nothing aggressive at all. Last Friday I was out on Collingwood from roughly 8am to 3pm and at around 1230 I had a spurt of 5 perch and a small walleye in about 20 minutes. As soon as I'd get it down the fish would bite. But after that nothing.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Well was out today from around 430 to 630 and managed 5 eye and 1 tulabi. Lost another about halfway up. Was fiahing again in 41 fow. I was using a buckshot rattler with a minnow head. It was nice to get some aggressive bites for once. However just before the sun went down I didn't mark anything but positive to see some fish coming through the hole again

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:00 PM »
move shallower as it gets darker.  good rule of thumb :tipup:

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice, it is quite cold out and didn't feel like moving again, why move shallower tho?

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Because the fish tend to  move shallower in low light this time of year. So if you are fishing 30 to 35 feet middle of the day. try 20-25 feet first light and dusk. This is a generalization but often true. They will be where the food is.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Well it's supposed to warm up this afternoon, so u would think a pressure change, I was thinking of trying Sorensons if I warms up a bit into the afternoon, does anyone have any info on that part of the lake? Or should I try Collingwood again?

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:14 AM »
I tried Collingwoods again Saturday, hadn't heard to many good things as of late but decided to giv'er a go.
Managed 4 jumbos, ranging from 11"-13" but the quantities weren't there. Lost another 3-4 1/2 way to the hole but that's fishing.
From the drive on I go about 1/2 mile north or so, everyone is so spread out up there I assume everyone is looking for them as well or the shacks would be a little more congested.
Where do all you ice fanatics like to go once you get there, north or south or straight out....
Just curious that's all. Good luck to all, and be safe out there.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2017, 10:36 AM »
I tried Collingwoods again Saturday, hadn't heard to many good things as of late but decided to giv'er a go.
Managed 4 jumbos, ranging from 11"-13" but the quantities weren't there. Lost another 3-4 1/2 way to the hole but that's fishing.
From the drive on I go about 1/2 mile north or so, everyone is so spread out up there I assume everyone is looking for them as well or the shacks would be a little more congested.
Where do all you ice fanatics like to go once you get there, north or south or straight out....
Just curious that's all. Good luck to all, and be safe out there.
I'm thinking of heading out there for an afternoon evening fish, looks real nice out this morning but am skeptical I won't catch anything. I'm the same as u I usually go maybe a half mile north and set up shop in 35 fow.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Well I got the itch and went out to Collingwood again on Sunday, and once again slow, 1 small walleye, 2 8 and 9 lb pike and 1 perch right at dark, but oh so so slow.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Had a great evening at Collingwood, caught a 10.5 lb eye on a rose gold large pk with 2 walleye eyes. Fish were very active tonight, I don't know how to post pics, but a new record in walleye for me.

Offline familyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Well congrats Huber!   From your posts it definitely looks like you have put your time in there and it paid off.  A 10.5 pounder is a hog! 

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Well congrats Huber!   From your posts it definitely looks like you have put your time in there and it paid off.  A 10.5 pounder is a hog!
thank u family fisher if I knew how to post pics I would hahaha but I don't know how

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Awesome fish Huber. If u want to post a pic, u can click on 'Community' at the top of this page. Then click on Help and FAQ's and there's a picture posting thread in there. Hope this helps you out.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:26 PM »
I tried but can't get it to work, too bad I would love to show everyone how nice a fish she was

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Hi Huber87, congrats on that nice big walleye. :thumbsup

If you would like to post a picture of her, you can by first downloading your photos from the digital camera onto your computer.
You then create a free account with either photo bucket or tinypic and upload your photos or short videos to one of them.
Once they are downloaded onto one of the sites, copy and paste your [img] photos here onto iceshanty.

Adding photos for the first time can sometimes take time, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. ;)

WW

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Saw some crazy video of water running into holes and eroding ice making the hole bigger. Looks further south on Lml. Any idea if Collingwood is safe?

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:24 PM »
I was out there this afternoon, the ice is still around 2 feet thick, lots of trucks were driving on. There is lots of slush and water but nothing to worry about yet. Oh and really slow fiahing today.

Offline Walleyekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Hey guys, is the water on the ice low enough that a car could drive on? Or would you recommend just walking on. No truck for me.

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:10 PM »
walleye kid if your going out to Collingwood some time let me know and if im going I will drive you out and back as I usually go alone during the week

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Hey guys, is the water on the ice low enough that a car could drive on? Or would you recommend just walking on. No truck for me.
hello walleye kid I would be driving on with something with 4 by 4, the access onto Collingwood is extremely rough as of right now

Offline Walleyekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Perfect thank you. My car is AWD and has winter tires.

Offline Badguy218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Papa where you from

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I live near Dafoe..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor