Author Topic: Live Bait in Black Hills?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
Live Bait in Black Hills?
« on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Hi All,

MN boy that currently lives in Denver here.  I am heading for a 3 day ice trip to the black hills area in a couple weeks.  Sounds like it is similar to us in that live minnows are restricted in certain waters?  From what I can see, it may be legal to use them in the big waters, Deerfield, Pactola and Sheridan?  Anywhere else?  Anything else I should know?

I'd appreciate any tips via PM but I understand if no one wants to give anything up too!  Mostly targetting perch, pike, crappie and sunnies.  Would love to get onto some walleye too if anyone knows any lakes within an hour or two of where I'm staying, which is just south of Keystone.

Thanks!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Live Bait in Black Hills?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Angastora and Orman have walleye and are within one hour of your area. There is a bait store in Custer and should be able to give you good in tell Roosters in Rapid as well.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:52 AM »
All the live bait restrictions in the Hills have been lifted, as far as I know. As said above, The Rooster can really help you out. 342-3867. Denny, Jeremy, Mike, or Geri can get you going locally. Tell them Roy Julius said you guys could put me on fish! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Thanks guys, I will definitely contact the bait shops listen when I am heading up!  Really hoping your ice isn't melted like ours is down here.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I will definitely contact the bait shops listen when I am heading up!  Really hoping your ice isn't melted like ours is down here.

I've only been out on the prairie this year so far, and the ice is so thick that by the time I get through I'm all the way to the float on my K-Drill. It's going to be 50 degrees for the next week, but it's gonna take a lot more than that to melt this year's ice. It's the thickest I've ever seen in this area.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:15 AM »
That makes me feel better.  I've heard reports of anywhere from 13-20" depending on the body of water in the hills, so I am confident that 40s-50s with some sub 30 temps at night should keep it in good shape for the foreseeable future.

If it melts to 8 inches by the time I get there, thats just easier to cut through with my 6 inch lazer.  Couldn't get my hands on a clam plate before they sold out, dang it!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2017, 06:13 PM »
That makes me feel better.  I've heard reports of anywhere from 13-20" depending on the body of water in the hills, so I am confident that 40s-50s with some sub 30 temps at night should keep it in good shape for the foreseeable future.

If it melts to 8 inches by the time I get there, thats just easier to cut through with my 6 inch lazer.  Couldn't get my hands on a clam plate before they sold out, dang it!

So long as your drill has a handle, you should be fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.