The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Messalonskee  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
Messalonskee
« on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Hello All,

I am going to be fishing mesalonskee in mid feburary and i am looking for a couple pointers. I don't want hot spots or anything I'm just looking for two different things. (going for pike)

What depths are they at? and what is the best bait? I am going smelting soon and maybe i can use those?

Thanks for any input.
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Messalonskee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Hello All,

I am going to be fishing mesalonskee in mid feburary and i am looking for a couple pointers. I don't want hot spots or anything I'm just looking for two different things. (going for pike)

What depths are they at? and what is the best bait? I am going smelting soon and maybe i can use those?

Thanks for any input.

So far, Messalonskee / Snow Pond has been fishing very well this year. Lots of big pike, splake, browns, really nice humpback white perch, and some decent crappie. You can catch fish using smelts, but I wouldn't waste my money buying them. Use med shiners. They will work just as well on all those species and they're alot cheaper. I prefer using the red fins or emerald shiners. The white perch and crappie are usually caught fishing a foot off bottom. Try to target 20 to 30 ft deep water. The rest of the fish I'm getting are only 15 feet down,  even if fishing over deep water, 50, 80, even 100 plus feet, set a few of your traps at just 15ft down. It maybe slow fishing, but you have a good chance on catching a couple really nice fish. Good luck.

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Thanks a lot! What's the biggest you've pulled out of there?

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Thanks a lot! What's the biggest you've pulled out of there?

I've caught several over 20lbs in past years. This year so far, a couple of 16 lbs, and one 18 lbs.

Offline fishcaptain1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Heading up there on the 18 just wondering if the stream is frozen yet my friend has a camp on the stream or do we have to access the lake by the boat launch
Have done well in the open water just wondering if you fish the same places I would then and can you fish by the boat ramp or should we bring the four wheelers of the travel is ok have no idea how much snow is up there we only have a dusting in southern my any info would be great thanks for the help guys tight lines

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:08 PM »
By the 18th, things can change quite a bit. Suppose to be several storms hitting us before the 18th, including tonight. But right now , you can use both sleds or 4 wheelers. Easy traveling.  Belgrade Stream is still wide open, but people have been putting on next to the carry on launch. There's a pretty good trail that follows the edge of the stream. I don't particularly like gaining access that way. I've been fishing from the middle of the lake, in 100 ft water. Also, I sometimes make my way down near the southern end to fish. I like moving around as some days can be slow fishing, while other days are much more productive. It's good to change spots because I believe the fish are chasing the large schools of shiners. That's why the fish are so healthy. By moving around, sooner or later I'll set-up where the fish are.
I can give you better Lake conditions as you get near the 18th, if you like..

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:04 AM »
I will be picking up new jack traps and bait from them. heading up tomorrow. thanks again for the advice.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Good luck out there. I'll be fishing Sat and Sun. If we get that foot of snow that they're predicting for Sunday night thru Monday, that will slow down my fishing. Too much snow out there will create too much slush. I'm getting too old for the slush. :o

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Any chance this predicted snow blows off the bigger belgrade lakes?? 12-20 inches seems like a hefty amount but with the predicted winds there might be a chance a lot of it blows off the ice. I have a trip the 23rd-26th and without a sled or quad I would love to have the walking not be a complete thigh burner. Tight lines
Eat, sleep, and Fish = A Happy Life

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2017, 12:09 PM »
There's always a chance, but this storm is the width of the whole state, which makes it very difficult for it to miss the Belgrades even with 40 mph winds. The northern part of the state is the only portion getting a foot or less. Looks like the rest of us are going to get 18 to 24 inches.
It will definitely slow down my ice fishing after this storm.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:59 PM »
There's always a chance, but this storm is the width of the whole state, which makes it very difficult for it to miss the Belgrades even with 40 mph winds. The northern part of the state is the only portion getting a foot or less. Looks like the rest of us are going to get 18 to 24 inches.
It will definitely slow down my ice fishing after this storm.

I agree Dennis, it sux getting old!!  We wanted to come fish Messalonskee too, but with all this snow...unsure now!  😕
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:10 PM »
40 mph winds if anything will tumble that and beat it right in. Hopefully making it pack a little. Agreed 2 feet of fluff would really ruin it for walking. But hopefully it shifts and makes it managable
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Forecasts are saying mid 30s next weekend. If that happens it will settle the snow a lot. Once it refreezes getting around will be much easier.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:13 AM »
Oh my God!!
I think we got all the snow predicted and then some. Can't even see the shack from shore.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:20 AM »
And it's not going to let up until 6-8pm.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:43 AM »
I see on storm tracker, your area is going to get the maximum snow fall as well Doug.
Good luck digging out.

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:12 AM »
i guess the only bright side after hearing about all that snow you guys got is that my trip isnt for another week or so, im praying to the ice gods that the slush and snow will harden by the time i get up there. Cant think of a worse feeling than lugging the jet sled 100-200 yds with snow up to my thighs  :wacko:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:28 AM »
i guess the only bright side after hearing about all that snow you guys got is that my trip isnt for another week or so, im praying to the ice gods that the slush and snow will harden by the time i get up there. Cant think of a worse feeling than lugging the jet sled 100-200 yds with snow up to my thighs  :wacko:

You better be thinking way south or way north of here, won't be any fishing now until ice out.  @)

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:56 AM »
welcome to maine, went from awesome to terrible conditions in a week haha

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:02 PM »

Don't give up hope SP. Alot can happen within a week's time. It might pack down good, depending on the temps.
At the very least, there should be some snowmobile trails that you can at least walk out on far enough out to fish. Sidney boat launch should have some beaten trails for you to walk out on by next week.
Good luck.
I'm gonna take the wait and see approach before I venture on any of the local lakes here in Belgrade.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:36 PM »
What do you have for ice up there?

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline fishcaptain1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2017, 05:29 AM »
Just wondering how much snow you got plan on coming Saturday if all goes well down here

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2017, 05:32 AM »
Just wondering how much snow you got plan on coming Saturday if all goes well down here

Save your gas money and stay home, almost 4' in the last week with another foot on the way. :tipup:

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2017, 06:43 AM »
looks like ill be loading up the truck with 5 or 6 shovels for our group too (possibly a snowblower)  ;D, 10 late twenty something year old guys should shovel out some walking and fishing room in a few hours. Hopefully the hard work and back pains will pay off with some fish. Tight lines guys and stay positive

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:32 AM »
there is 17" of ice, 12" being black ice. we got one 17'' pike :(

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Anyone been out around the belgrades the past few days? I heard the snow you guys got was substantial, hopefully the lakes didn't get too messed up. Tight lines

Offline weskeagclouser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:32 PM »
I live across the road from Great Pond, and the snow is DEEP. 4 feet in my yard, easy. I wouldn't plan on traveling far if you go out on the ice.

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Any idea how the Sidney launch is looking? I was hoping that snowmobiles would be packing down the snow and making some decent walking trails. Getting to my shack is a nightmare with 3 feet of fluff. I was hoping a more public and utilized area would be a bit better for accessing. Hopefully the weather cooperates and melts a bit of snow
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Any idea how the Sidney launch is looking? I was hoping that snowmobiles would be packing down the snow and making some decent walking trails. Getting to my shack is a nightmare with 3 feet of fluff. I was hoping a more public and utilized area would be a bit better for accessing. Hopefully the weather cooperates and melts a bit of snow

Sidney boat landing was full of vehicles today. Lots of trails leaving the launch in several directions. Saw people fishing from a couple portables, plus from shacks.
I figure if a person lays down a couple of passes with their sled, should be firm enough to walk and fish from.

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Sidney boat landing was full of vehicles today. Lots of trails leaving the launch in several directions. Saw people fishing from a couple portables, plus from shacks.
I figure if a person lays down a couple of passes with their sled, should be firm enough to walk and fish from.

Awesome. That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.