Author Topic: Cowan lake  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cowan lake
« on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Was out on Cowan on the weekend, very good fishing even when most other lakes are slow!

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
Re: Cowan lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Yeah but all you can catch there is small pike.

For the 100s of pike i've caught of there, none have been over 4-5 pounds, and i've only seen 1 walleye and 1 perch caught there before.

At least in the summer.

Same in the winter?
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Yeah I don't know what the deal is with that lake. It's fairly big, shallow, warm and fertile and hits all the typical markers to produce lots of fish and yet it doesn't.
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Cowan has always produced lots of pike for me. Probably best numbers i've had compared to any other lake in the province (other than perch at buffalo pound, or the odd lucky day at deif for walleye). A bad day on Cowan is 10-20 pike, but it's always very small pike.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Yes some days it can be easy to catch a lot of small pike. But they do grow up and if you know the lake, you can find 6- 12 plus lb pike and 3-5 lb pics. Buckets of perch,most to small.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Don't imagine you feel like sharing where the big ones are located?

Offline Greenisthecolor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I've only fished there one weekend but the walleye fishing was amazing.  Lots of pike too.  Nothing too big, but lots of good eaters.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I have caught some very nice walleye in Cowan but not too often, some monster pike hide in the reeds at the first narrows but I really only see them in March.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:17 PM »
 the perch seem to come and go but i bet the locals are usually on em.  some big ones too.  used to catch all sizes pike 20-25 years ago from shore even, 2-20lbs.  that spot is overgrown with weeds now.  lots of lake to explore.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:38 PM »
by the way, are we all even talking about the same Cowan lake? I noticed google maps has two cowan lakes in sask. One next to Big River, which is the one i am talking about/familiar with. Then there is apparently one about 100km west of north battleford - i never knew/heard about this one before.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:20 PM »
 yep stay at the big river hotel/bar for a real experience.  right on the lake, good times!

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Cant tell if that is sarcasm about the hotel?
Have we reached a decision on the fishing?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2017, 01:23 PM »
 sorry, no sarcasm intended.

Offline hottrodd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2017, 06:36 PM »
I caught nice size walleye there last spring. Probably 3 walleye to every pike. Maybe 10 in a couple hrs. I thought it was pretty good. Never ice fished it but there definitely in there.

Offline BButters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Can anyone give me a recent report on Cowan please?  A couple of us were talking about heading that way this Sunday (Mar 26).  Ice condition, Where abouts the bite is etc...  I haven't been able to make it to Cowan on hard water for few years.  In the past we have fished near town, about 15 miles north and closer to the dam.  Suggestions and hints are welcomed as its a couple hours drive and would hate to get skunked, but having said that, Cowan has never left me empty handed haha.  Freezer is empty and we need to stock up to make thru till the boat can float. 

Thanks all, Happy Fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.