Author Topic: New homemade flip over hut  (Read 4942 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
New homemade flip over hut
« on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Here is my new 3 man flip I built this year.  16oz canvas built on a jet sled xl.  It works freakin awesome!!!  I bent the poles out of 3/4 and 1/2 inch emt conduit.  Almost 30sq ft fishable and 42 sq ft inside.  Weights less than 50lbs!!!   

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: New homemade flip over hut
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Very cool, please post a pic of it closed.

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Very nice. a work of love
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Nice work - can you do a vid showing set up & take down?

I like the clevis pins and using the 1/2-3/4" to telescope for tension.

It looks like you fasten the tent to the sled via snaps - is this how how you did it?
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Nice job!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:49 PM »
I attached the canvas to the sled using screws with metal grommets.  The screws go through the canvas in between stitches so it can't rip.  It worked awesome!  I will get a video of me setting it up, but it sets up as any flip over would, except mine only needs two support poles.  I think I counted 5 in the new clam 2 man?  Set up takes me maybe 3 minutes and I can break down in under 2! The best part of the entire project is fishing condensation free!!!!  My buddy has an eskimo wide one thermal, the whole inside was covered in ice at days end of fishing????  My flip was frost free!  Cotton duck canvas is waterproof and breathable!  It also holds heat very well and the dark green heats up in the sun real nice... 

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Thank you - I appreciate the info.  I have a an old Eskimo green skin that I want to build a frame for so I'm very keen on how you built the hinge points and how it attaches to the sled.

I don't plan on using a plastic sled but I want to use a deck on top of a Smitty style sled to use all the time - the flip over will get used minimally - because apparently in New England we can't have ice - our AG Offices have seen to that...

Anyway I plan to make a hoop from 3/4" EMT at the bottom and mount "broom handle clips" to the top of the Smitty deck.  The tent will pop on/off as needed but the deck will always go out.

Or something like this at the rim of the sled for mounting the tent.  Lots of ideas floating around the brain right now but your overall design is very inspiring.

Thanks again.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:53 AM »
I like those older Eskimos!  Back when flip overs had less bling bling,  I am a simpler is better kind of guy... when it comes to my huts.  I love to build and customize but truly think twice about adding weight I don't need.  I like your smitty flip idea.  Look into the Dave Genz original fish trap, it is built similar to your way of thinking.  They are built without metal hinges at all.  Everything but the poles look like they are made of lightweight pine.  If you were to coat it in fiberglass mat and resin like West System epoxy..... Woooo, lightweight and will last forever.  I went the jet sled route due to the deep snow my area gets.  I wanted my sled to float on top and it does a fairly good job at it.  Pulls better than a wide 1 thermal for sure. The sled simplified things a bit too and helps keep my feet dry on slushy days. Plus hauls my gear too.  If I were you I would consider a sled, it may be cheaper and easier.  I thought I may someday make a stitch and glue sled with marine plywood and glass it, like I did my boat.  Lightweight, strong, watertight  and handmade...  Just another route you can look into. Good luck with your build, post pics!

Offline cabbage681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:23 AM »
Awesome!!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:25 AM »
My base will be something like this:

Basically the platform will be 30" wide with skis underneath, length will be 48"  Starting with a 4x4 ply, I'll trim it to 30" wide and use the scrap as the seat...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Will it flip sideways "2man" or from the back "1man"?  Looks like it will work either way depends on the cover.  Make sure to make a good slush skirt, it is everything in a flipover.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:54 AM »
It's a 1 man so the rear of the sled may be the seat so I can use the pull rope for an anchor point

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Cool, looks good as a 1man,  48" was a bit tight for 2.  I made 55" work for a two man.  I love having 65" now with the jet sld XL.  30 wide 65 long.  If you build a storage box for the back the hinge would be easy. Built just like the original genz fish trap. 

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Genz unit - I'm going for a thing that can get pulled off the sled and used or just left on the sled and used.  The drop down hoop for the mouth is where I'm debating.  I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

The advise on the skirt is well received - I just don't know if I'll use it solo much, I like the QF3 pop up for more than solo and I don't solo much anyway.  The hub "living room" is comfy for 2, snug for 3 but we aren't playing cribbage or making meals either.

Based on the number of days I can fish, this is a hobby project to keep my mind active.

Now that I think on making it a stand alone, I need to add anchor points - at least 2 on the corners.  Not a big deal - some cam buckles on the base hoops into the wind would do.  2" web past the edge of the mounting seam with a grommet might work...

Modular to a Smitty base I think is where I'll focus as a start - let the tweaks come after that.  Pretending to be able to sit comfortably for a long period is kinda funny - I tend to stand and walk around a lot...

I'll keep the board posted and thanks for the conversation - I appreciate your insight as a builder.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I like the ideas!  It is threads like this one that can get interesting, watching what people can come up with is awesome!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.