The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Lakes to Target?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
Wyoming Lakes to Target?
« on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Hey Guys,

Hoping this post won't be met with snarling and bared teeth.  I am a fellow ice angler from CO (raised in MN, hence my ice fishing hobby).  I am really wanting to take the wife on a ice trip over presidents weekend coming up here.  We like to target perch, walleye, crappie, catfish etc.  I can catch trout here in CO, and I'm over that.

Got any suggestions for lakes that would be worth driving and spending a couple days at?  Thinking about a hotel or other lodging, bringing the dog etc.  Also, places that would still have ice in 2 weeks.  We are in the 60s down here near Denver and this might be the last ice weekend other than going up in the mountains after lakers and what not.  You can PM me if you don't want to blast it.  I would really appreciate it, and would be willing to trade info on Colorado lakes as well.

Thanks!
J

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wyoming Lakes to Target?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Some lakes that have most of the species you mentioned are Glendo, Haek springs, Wheatland #3, Pathfinder, Alcova, Semino, Boysen, Ocean lake, Bighorn Lake, and Keyhole, and many others that I know i am missing, Just depends on how far you want to drive, I hear the lakes around Cheyenne might be on the way out as well around the Riverton area we still have good ice have not been above freezing in almost two months.  Casper area lakes sounds like they have good ice as well and then in the northern part of the state they have good ice. Depends on how far you want to drive, I hear keyhole has been doing really well on the crappie and perch with a few cats and walleye at dawn and dusk other places have been hit or miss, check out the reports and conditions board for more information on the lakes mentioned and it will tell you what species are in each lake and that might help make your decision for you and might help out catching some as well.  Good luck and have a safe drive up and back.

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:27 AM »
That is a good start, thank you so much!  The information is very much appreciated.

Offline Rmills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Anything new on Glendo?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Anything new on Glendo?

You can find information on Glendo in the Reports and Conditions forum.  :tipup:

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:28 PM »
What your asking for is Boysen!!! The Desert INN hotel is good as it gets. The couple that runs it are great people. And with lip-rippers down the street. Bait and tackle are easy. She can push you to a good hot spot. If it was me wanting to find good fish I'd say go there. You'll get A+ service and accommodations. Can't beat it. No tashmahall. but I can't complaine. Say Jed sent you.
No one left behind.     

Offline walleyeslayer06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:44 PM »
What your asking for is Boysen!!! The Desert INN hotel is good as it gets. The couple that runs it are great people. And with lip-rippers down the street. Bait and tackle are easy. She can push you to a good hot spot. If it was me wanting to find good fish I'd say go there. You'll get A+ service and accommodations. Can't beat it. No tashmahall. but I can't complaine. Say Jed sent you.

Mighty kind of you, thanks for that detailed info.  Made it easy for me

Offline Bottombouncer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Olefish pulled his fish house off the lake today because of the drifting snow!

Offline dub307

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:00 PM »
special has it right.  Boysen is your ticket for sure.  we have a warm week here in central wyo but boysen is a weird spot where it is almost always a lot colder than any other good sized lakes on the eastern half of the state that i know of.  another great thing about boysen is the wind rarely ever blows.  there is roughly 2' of solid ice right now all over the lake.  guys are driving full sized diesel trucks with 20'-30' campers all over the lake.  kinda crazy if you ask me but i have not heard of anyone going in yet.  there is trophy size walleye, perch, crappie, and large cats, ling and trout.  however it is a large lake so locating the fish can be difficult but they are in there.  it is a beautiful body of water that seems pretty healthy.  a lot of our state records have come out of that lake.  i'm not familiar of the lodging but shoshoni (the little town 10 mins from the lake) is very small so come stocked with goods. i can vouch for lip rippers tho. they are very helpful and have what you need.

As for glendo i would not advise going there.  much closer for you but not worth even stopping for.  there will likely be open water there by then.  glendo, pathfinder, alcova, and many other bodies of water up here are subject to high winds.  when mixed with high temps it makes for sketchy ice conditions.  i was at glendo yesterday where the ice is melting quick.  was looking at 6"-8" of soft ice.  edges of shore are open.  we had good luck catching some 12+ lb cats, big crappie, perch and some dink walleye.  so in the future you may want to swing in because it is a nice lake too.  but it is usually sketchy and hard to find a day that wind is in single digits. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.