The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Whaddaya doin with all those white bass??  (Read 694 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Whaddaya doin with all those white bass??
« on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:31 AM »
So Im heading up to Wisconsin in a few weeks for a week of ice fishing......probably going to get into some white bass.  When I used to live up there, we would throw em in the smoker and they would come out delicious....So I was just curious if thats what everyone does?  or if some new fangled way of preparing them makes them a tad more palatable.....

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whaddaya doin with all those white bass??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:47 AM »
If you fillet them in a way to get rid of the red meat, they are pretty good deep fried. I normally just keep the backstrap off of them (thicker part above the rib cage)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whaddaya doin with all those white bass??
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Back when I lived in Wisconsin, we would always head to Devil's Lake in ND mainly for the white bass.  On average they are bigger than most places in North America and usually brought home a 100qt. cooler of just fillets.  We did just as "bigstorm" mentioned with keeping the back strap or tenderloin as others call it and discard the red meat.  Talk about excellent fish fry's.  Have smoked them as well but certainly could make an excellent "white bass Olympia"  Best of luck and enjoy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.