The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walleye in northern Wisconsin  (Read 1162 times)

Offline find me on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye in northern Wisconsin
« on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Looking for lakes that are known for walleye in northern wi. Just lakes in general that have decent walleye/perch fishing. Not looking for your best spots or coordinates I'll find spots but there are so many lakes up there I don't know where to start. Any help is much appreciated

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye in northern Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Muskies ate 'em, or they were speared out...

J/K.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Like I said I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes just a place to start. Wana make a quick day/evening trip up north some weekend and would like a starting point and not spending 3/4 day trying to find a decent lake to fish. I know there are probably thousands of "good" lakes but time is limited lol

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:53 AM »
If you're looking in NE WI, I'd suggest North Twin. There's been some monsters taken out of there. I spend a lot of time during the winter on the Cisco Chain as well. 3 Boundary Waters lakes, Big Lake, West Bay and Mamie don't require a MI license.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:03 PM »
If you're looking in NE WI, I'd suggest North Twin. There's been some monsters taken out of there. I spend a lot of time during the winter on the Cisco Chain as well. 3 Boundary Waters lakes, Big Lake, West Bay and Mamie don't require a MI license.

Thank you!! I appreciate the input.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:18 PM »
Agree on North Twin.  The walleye population out there is pretty remarkable.  You might have to sort like crazy but there are big fish in that pond.  A day or two before muskie season opens a buddy and I have made it a tradition to hit Twin and fish walleyes into the evening.  We only run two rods and take turns with them.  One guy is pulling fish in, the other is unhooking them and baiting hooks. In about two hours time it's the norm where we'll catch over 100 of them but have to sort to get a limit of legals.  That feeds us for a couple of days and then we'll butcher a decent pike or two that we catch slinging big baits for the rest of the trip. 

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:23 PM »
The St Louis river out of Superior, WI has been producing some big walleyes this year from the pictures I have seen.  A lot of 25"+ fish are coming out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.