Author Topic: 2 guys lucky to make it out alive  (Read 2030 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: 2 guys lucky to make it out alive
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Scary stuff and brings back a memory from 20 years ago.  Was fishing wawasee late in the year and the ice was getting hurt by the longer days, sun and warmer temps.  There was probably 6 inches or so, but it was end of the year ice so it was not the good solid black ice of January.  It was one of those days were it got to low 20's at night tightening it up then in the day it was in the 40's  and kind of windy which quickly turned the top couple inches to water and slush.   First sign if trouble was the water that was melting was not standing on top of the ice.  It was going down thru easily.  I was out perching with slabgill and as the morning wore on the ice turned an ugly dark grayish color and when you looked off in the distance it looked like the ice was making waves like he described.  We were not sure if it was just an illusion with temp diffs between the air and the ice or what.  We did get off the ice safely, but the next evening that area was open water.  It was not a smart decision to fish that day and I likely would have died had we gone thru as this was long before floating suits and we were way off shore in about 30 fow and there was no one within shouting distance to help unless someone would have seen us go in from shore.  We had picks, but if they can't grab good ice they don't do you much good.  Late ice is 10 times more scary than first ice when it gets to be 5 inches or less.  It was definitely a lesson learned that day.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Great article! really makes you stop and think. Even the pros can get into trouble. I've been thru before in deep water but I was fortunate that the ice next to my hole was strong enough to hold me. I caught myself under my arms and pushed myself back up onto the ice in a spread-eagle position then rolled away from the hole. The dunk happened so fast that I didn't even get wet under my suit and we went down a ways further and got on the ice. Filled a bucket that day of 9" gills. I still fish that lake on occasion but like many lakes, its not as good as it use to be. Small lake just north of Fremont, In. Anyone guess?

Offline mrducks4u

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:48 AM »
duck lake or maybe huyck lake

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for putting the post on here.  Glad to see the out come was good.  Important lesson for this time of year.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I remember ice fishing on Sylvan on 8 to 10 inches of ice late in the season. It seemed solid on the way out but when I started to auger my hole the auger when through really easy. Day was sunny and mild. Stupid me I figured I was standing on it and since it was supporting me I was good so I fished for a while. When I headed in I went through near shore. Was close enough to force my way up on the bank but realize now I was stupid and lucky that day.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.