Author Topic: Eskimo 949i vs QF3i  (Read 4466 times)

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo 949i vs QF3i
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Going to upgrade my hub.  Been reading some threads, but have 2 specific questions:

a.  Is the 949 any more difficult to set up when fishing solo, than the QF3?

b.  Is the 949 more capable of fishing 3 adults than the 3?  It would be a rare situation, but if the set up isn't any more difficult, I might opt for the 949.

Any other direct comparisons of these 2 thermal hubs are appreciated.

I've ruled out other brands, based on window placement.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo 949i vs QF3i
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Going to upgrade my hub.  Been reading some threads, but have 2 specific questions:

a.  Is the 949 any more difficult to set up when fishing solo, than the QF3?

b.  Is the 949 more capable of fishing 3 adults than the 3?  It would be a rare situation, but if the set up isn't any more difficult, I might opt for the 949.

Any other direct comparisons of these 2 thermal hubs are appreciated.

I've ruled out other brands, based on window placement.

a) No, should be able the same.  One foot on the skirt, one hand on the roof ledge, and pull out the side.  I have done this many times with my Bigfoot 4000 and putting up the unit is pretty easy, so I would say if you are thinking about the setup - 949i should be easy
b) Yes, you will get a lot more floor space to set up.  You can lay out the holes in a lot more open area, and you can have chairs and your gear inside.  We fish 3 adults in my Clam unit, and we get a little tight with all the gear in there.  Opt for the 949 and the extra money you spend will be nice.  Even if you are only fishing a few of you, its nice to have the space.  Insulated, and it will heat up nicely inside.

Good luck!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:54 PM »
I have a Quickfish 4 which would be close to the size of the 949 which is 94" from side to side. I also have a Quickfish 3i which is 72" from side to side at the bottom. It is much easier to fish 3 in the QF4 than the QF3i. The QF3i is also easier to set up for one person. I fish alone more now and the QF3i makes more sense to me for that reason.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:34 PM »
I have the 949i and has been awesome. We have fished 5 deep a few times but its cozy. It works great with 3-4 people. Only negative is that it is bulky and heavy. I don't use it when I am fishing solo. I have a small ground blind that I bring instead.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:03 PM »
I bought a 949i earlier this year and have not used it yet.   I fish with one of my sons and the other son will occasionally come with us.  But not yet this year.  So we use my Clam Nanook flipover.  But I think it is too short and get tired of stooping in it.

If I had to buy one right now I would get a double insulated.   Eskimo makes one that is like a 9416 or something like that.  Double big and spacious.  Friend bought a Frabill double big insulated on Dicks Sporting website a few weeks ago for $229.  He stole it.  Keep your eyes open and and buy bigger than you think you need.  Setup tables and cook stoves, etc in your shanty! 

The doubles are great when you can drive on the ice. They are bulky.

You might also look at the QF5i, bigger than 3i.  Go big and be comfortable.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:43 PM »
I have owned both the 949i and 3i and there is not much difference in setup if any at all. Only thing in that regard would be that the 949i is bigger and a few pounds heavier so it will seem like a little more of a task to set up the bigger of the two, but they both setup the same way. It seems the 949i is less prone to the poles/hubs binding up when setting up. If you want to fish three people out of these...definately go with the 949i. We can fit only two with folding camp chairs and gear in the 3i, probably 3 if we all sat on buckets with minimal gear inside. I run a cooker heater of a hose to a tank outside, so that frees up a little elbow room in the 3i. As for the 949i, we can fit three with camp chairs and gear with a tanktop heater easily. The 949i has the mesh netting in the roof for storage so that helps free up space as well.

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:20 AM »
The only difficult part In setting up the 949i I feel is screwing in the anchors, and if you have a cordless drill that's no longer an issue. But I am looking into the Clam Legend XL, that puppy looks sweet and much quicker fishing solo, especially when hole hopping. Any input on the Legend?

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I've owned the 949i for 4 yrs. now, perfect for two guys, folding chairs and a folding table!
My only gripe is the height. After fishing in a friends clam Jason Mitchell, I know what I'll buy next.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I've owned the 949i for 4 yrs. now, perfect for two guys, folding chairs and a folding table!
My only gripe is the height. After fishing in a friends clam Jason Mitchell, I know what I'll buy next.
What don't you like about the height of the 949i?*

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Ended up picking up a QF3i today for $209.99 at Thorne Bros...  the chances of a 3rd person are so small that I opted for this model.  If a 3rd does come, we just get creative for the afternoon.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:10 PM »
What don't you like about the height of the 949i?*

I just don't like feeling like I have to duck while standing up, in the clam, the extra couple inches make all the difference in the world!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:05 AM »
I just don't like feeling like I have to duck while standing up, in the clam, the extra couple inches make all the difference in the world!
Ok. I didn't realize two inches would make much difference, but I guess it can. Thanks. My son is 6'6" and has never said anything about interior height. All of my shelters including my flip are tall enough to stand upright for a good ol stretch though.

Offline Langbanger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I picked up the 3i this year and have loved it.  -25c and stays nice and warm with a buddy heater.  2 people with folding camp chairs is perfect. 3 people would be cramped

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:17 AM »

the 949 is one of the top shelters going!

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Just wanted to let people know that Eskimo did re-design the bag.  I just set my 3i up today, the mouth of the bag is huge.  I've owned the original QF3 (green), QF2, and now th 3i.

The update makes this very simple to put away at the end of the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.