Author Topic: ICE JIG BOX  (Read 4791 times)

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
ICE JIG BOX
« on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:53 PM »
What are some of the better ice jig boxes? I currently use a Fox Box but the jigs are constantly coming off the foam and wind up bouncing around inside the box.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: ICE JIG BOX
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for the response 3300. Any problem with the jigs coming loose?
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:31 PM »
no not really. once in a great while i may find one loose, but it's a rare thing. i think it happens if i don't put them in the slot all of the way.

if you look close, you can see how i managed to double them up. like eye up and then eye down and alternate them to get the most spacing on some of them.

it's the best box i can find and has a seal and floats and uses the best latching system. with that much tungsten it may not float so check yours if you have a lot. the bright green is nice to spot it if you lose track of it.
i started with the small ones and had to move up to xl size and i have5 of them.
they cost about 35$ for the big box. they make compartments versions of it too and a combination. i use the ripple versions for spoons. and the compartment version for hard plastic lures.

https://www.amazon.com/flambeau-fly-boxes/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aflambeau%20fly%20boxes

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=flambeau+fly+boxes&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Depends a lot on how many you want.  I have one of the Genz/Clam small boxes that I like to use for multipurpose.  I keep bobber stops, swivels, and other odds and ends in the one side and jigs in the other.  Things stay put quite well and the latch is quite secure.  It resides in the side pouch of my flasher so it does not get misplaced.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I tried the fox boxes also and have same complaint. Rather than pay some ridiculous price I decided to cobble some boxes together exactly how I want. Found pre-slitted foam with adhesive back on feather-craft.com

These are just a couple of the ones I crafted up. The boxes are intended for photo storage but work great as jig boxes with the slitted foam .

For the most part everything stays where I put them. Every now and then one manages to float free but not very often
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:27 PM »
I like rose creek or bugg luggage jig boxes.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:45 AM »
just be careful of how it opens and keep it away from water.

when you out grow that one, you might look at the others closer. the swing leaf has three walls to hold jigs and the best latching system and floats and has a rubber seal to keep things better inside.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:01 AM »
just be careful of how it opens and keep it away from water.

when you out grow that one, you might look at the others closer. the swing leaf has three walls to hold jigs and the best latching system and floats and has a rubber seal to keep things better inside.

I outgrew it before I bought it! Silicone wrist band will keep it shut.
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:06 AM »
filled it up already huh.
i use my striker bib pockets to hold mine. they are always on and parka normally isn't. another way to fix the need to carry any on your person is to have too many rods instead lol. then grab the jig/rod you want to fish with. that's where i am at with all of this. hardly ever need to get into the fly box anymore unless i break a hook.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:28 AM »
For those of us that prefer compartments to slit foam, I really like the Clam boxes. I have this one and it works well and holds lots of jigs:

http://www.ebay.com/p/clam-corp-dual-tray-jig-boxes-1205300849/1601603109

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:19 PM »
I use the Rapala. Got the small should have got the large.
Keep,it safe! JDL

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:39 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319965.0
i just bought my buddy the green one for his birthday.
He really likes it but hasn't gotten it on the ice yet.
I'm Hoping he can quit being sick come over and we'll make enough jigs in my shop to fill it up.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:52 PM »
I'm Hoping he can quit being sick come over and we'll make enough jigs in my shop to fill it up.
hope he knows what a great friend he has!
do you use them too? they are the best i can find and well worth the peace of mind they offer.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:42 PM »

Id have to guess the green case is the one that fits in your striker bib pockets?    Are you talking about the ones that have the towel thing attached to it?

I have the clam one that looks close to it.   But is full.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:46 PM »
hope he knows what a great friend he has!
do you use them too? they are the best i can find and well worth the peace of mind they offer.
No I still have a couple Rose Creek boxes that are working well.
Otherwise I would. They're a nice box for sure.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:42 AM »

Id have to guess the green case is the one that fits in your striker bib pockets?    Are you talking about the ones that have the towel thing attached to it?

I have the clam one that looks close to it.   But is full.

here they are. no towel.
https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=X-Large%20Swing%20Leaf%20Blue%20Ribbon%E2%84%A2%20Fly%20Box

i can't find the green one like my photos show any more. the green ones are their ice series altho there is no other difference other than being bright green instead of gray. easier to see in snow.

all of them. 4 pages. page 3 has some ice versions.
https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/store/Search.aspx?type=AND&SearchTerms=Fly%20Box
i don't care for the ripple versions except for spoons and light weight fly's, but i prefer the slit foam for fly's. i keep my spare spiders i tie in the ripple box's and spoons. i like the ripple box with compartments on one side too and keep smaller chubby darters and hard plastic lures and hooks ect in the compartments and spoons on the other side. they make small enough versions to keep in your bib pocket and the other pocket you can keep a jig box.

after spending so much in tungsten, you want them protected the best you can. these float and have a seal and the best latching system and offer many varieties. the hinges are a steel rod. pretty sure you can drive over these no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Tackle-Swing-Leaf-Ribbon/dp/B0060KOX6Q

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Flambeau+Tackle+Swing+Leaf+Blue+Ribbon+Fly+Box

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2017, 07:41 AM »

Another solution using the slit foam. Cut the foam to fit compartments on one of those bucket lid tackle box. This one holds enough ammo for any foray onto the ice. This particular one was made out of the cutoff pieces of foam. Leftover when I used the photo container boxes posted earlier in this thread. Got a lot of use out of the one piece of foam.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.