The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walleye jigging set ups?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Cw1036

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye jigging set ups?
« on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:44 PM »
I'm taking my boys (almost 5, 7,&10) to the Battle on Bago this year. My first time also. Will be setting up tip-ups. I would like to jig for some also. I've never targeted walleye specifically, so I'm looking for some advice from the members that are more experienced than I am. Any help would be great. Rod size,action, line type/size, really anything that may be helpful. Even techniques that may help, even on the tip ups. I have been researching online, however I've learned in my life that knowledge is better the morn you can learn. Thanks guys and hope to see you out on the ice.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye jigging set ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:31 PM »
For the tipups, I just use a small treble or single colored hook with split shot 6" above on the leader tied to the braided tiptup line. Set them about 6" off the bottom
 For jigging, I use a ML or M rod with braid and a 2ft mono leader. I use a lot of jigging spoons (slender spoons, buckshot for example) and once in a while a jigging rapala. All tipped with a minnow head

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:46 PM »
  Will you have a camera to study the walleyes mood and what they are striking? Some times when the bite is slow I will put a 2' piece of flourocarbon tied to a barrel swivel off my braided main line.Put a split crap 6"s from the minnow or leach and lay everything on the bottom with 2' of slack.At the ice level put a slip bobber you can watch as you are jigging a second hole 6-8' away and be ready to run.I even put the bobber up on some snow outside the hole as an indicator. Leaches will do all the work for ya on this set up.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:59 PM »
 I start all my trips with aggressive jigging with a lipless rattle crank bait in various colors and sizes,not only will this work for active feeders but it will lure in many fish.Start deep 30' and move into 6'.Once you find em figure out what they want,as mentioned start aggressive and tone it down till ya figure out the bite. Some days they like a vertical flutter spoon like the Slender,PK or Buckshot,rattling lipless such as clackin rap or ripping rap,some days its lures that sink on a horizontal dive to the bottom,most days a jig and minnow are key.Another technique is a small 5 o diamonds and maggots,this has landed me some real lunkers. Try the link below for lure and technique ideas.Get them kids addicted to fishing!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gord+pyzer+walleye+lures&&view=detail&mid=B792DD40576DE0D3239BB792DD40576DE0D3239B&FORM=VRDGAR

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:51 AM »
They cancelled the Battle for this year or did they move the date?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.