Author Topic: insulated hub advice wanted  (Read 2230 times)

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
insulated hub advice wanted
« on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Looking to upgrade my hub shelter to fully insulated.  I would like floor size pretty close to 75 x 75, and height so I can stand up, say 72.  I'm running a shappell right now and love its 22 lbs, just wish it was insulated.

Would also continue to have 2 doors, and weight no more than 30 lbs.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: insulated hub advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Feklar, I see you asked about the weight of a Polar Bird a bit over a year ago so, you had a little interest then.

And 20% off with a free floor and free shipping until 2/1/2017.    See this link for the discount code:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=341202.0

This one is dangerously close to your specifications:    https://polarbird.com/menu_iceshelters/pb-3t-floor-3t

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2017, 01:07 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3i. It,s fully insulated, two doors, 72"x72" on the floor, 80" high and weighs about 33 lbs. I paid $220 and love it so far. I don't know if Eskimo is a sponsor, but I supported a local mom and pop store which I like to do since we only have one left here.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:34 PM »
I picked up a Frabil Outpost a couple winters ago. Like it alot. 70Lx70Wx80H and best part it`s  27#`s . Black and fully insulated with 2 doors.A great addition to my fleet .Lots of good choices out there,this was mine.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:52 AM »
I'd recommend the Otter XTH series.  I have the Cabin.  About the size you are looking for.  It is about 72" high.  I can stand up but only right in the middle.  That being said, some of the others like the Eskimo are 80 inches high.  Pros and cons.  More room to stand up but more area up at the ceiling to heat and will be a taller shack in the wind.  Taller walls mean it catches more wind.  Interior of the Otter is silver which I really like vs. the black Eskimo interior.  Just easier to light up at night.  The Otter uses 3 layers of material.  When you look at it from the outside it doesn't look insulated because it isn't "quilted".  They have an outer layer of material that covers the inner quilted layer.  The Otter Cabin only has 1 door (their larger houses have 2).  The Otter has the windows above the hubs, the Eskimo windows are on the side of the hubs (better level to see out of if you ask me).

Pros and cons to both but I prefer the Otter over the Eskimo personally. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Question, hopefully you don't mind running a tape measure for me.  How tall is the Cabin ceiling height at the sides?  Are the grommets to hook anchors on the bottom inside the shelter our outside the shelter? 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Eskimo has a layer of insulation between two layers of IQ fabric which makes three layers and I like the quilted look. All anyone carried around here for Otter hubs were the XTH Lodge and XTH Resort, so I didn't get to see an XTH Cabin. I think they all keep the wind off of a person.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:26 AM »
shappell made the wide house 6500 insulated this season, so you know about that brand.
i have it in the non insulated version. they also made their fx200 insulated.

i bought the gander mountain insulated 8 foot by 8 foot version (8x8) and it is nicer in some areas and shappells doors are nicer and window placement is better.

here is a review of the gm8x8 i bought for 160$ and came with 8 eskimo ice anchors and ice chairs with rod holders.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

i spoke with shappell recently about their line up. they explained in 2018 they will be making major improvements because that's when their contract runs out with the factory they have to use now.
they said new insulated materials will be new and added dog leg bars for their flip shanty's.

i asked that they include seam tape to their roof seams at least and he said they would try to do just that and that it would be inexpensive for them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Question, hopefully you don't mind running a tape measure for me.  How tall is the Cabin ceiling height at the sides?  Are the grommets to hook anchors on the bottom inside the shelter our outside the shelter?
With my Eskimo shelters I pull the strap with the grommet to the outside of the corners and screw my anchors into the ice. The snow flap covers the anchor and I put snow over it if it is windy.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:15 PM »
thanks everyone, an eskimo 949i is on its way.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I'm sure you'll be happy with it, I have mine going on three years and never had any problems.  One tip for you, I don't use the ropes they give you to tie it down to the anchors, I use ratchet straps because they don't come loose until you want them to.  No matter how well you tie the knot in the ropes after a while of the wind hitting on the sides the ropes have a habit of coming loose.  Other guys use quick slide straps or anchors.  I might have the wrong name for them but they are the ones that you slide the strap or rope through a "clamp" that you press down to release the "clamp" to remove the strap or rope. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.