The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Electric Augers  (Read 8038 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: Electric Augers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Never have used an Ion myself. We did a speed test between a brand new 8" Ion X and my 8" K Drill. The K Drill drills close to two holes to every one the Ion X can. I have nothing against the Ion augers but I like my K Drill better. Its twice as fast at half the weight.

Good post on one of the other electric options. I've watched videos on this & it was quite impressive. To each their own, people will get what they feel comfortable with & can afford. Either way, both set-ups are electric & will only get better & gain even more popularity in the future. This wave of popularity w/the future technological advancements will eventually make the gas/propane options almost obsolete.   

As far as speed tests go, I really don't get this so I have to ask. DO HARDWATER FISHERMEN SERIOUSLY TAKE TO THE ICE THINKING ABOUT HOW FAST THEY CAN PUNCH A HOLE??

When I hit the ice I'm just hoping I can find & catch fish.

Everyone stay safe & enjoy the rest of the season !!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Good post on one of the other electric options. I've watched videos on this & it was quite impressive. To each their own, people will get what they feel comfortable with & can afford. Either way, both set-ups are electric & will only get better & gain even more popularity in the future. This wave of popularity w/the future technological advancements will eventually make the gas/propane options almost obsolete.   

As far as speed tests go, I really don't get this so I have to ask. DO HARDWATER FISHERMEN SERIOUSLY TAKE TO THE ICE THINKING ABOUT HOW FAST THEY CAN PUNCH A HOLE??

If you are cutting  holes for a few tipups then speed doesn't matter much.  If you are drilling holes half a dozen at a time and then prospecting each for a minute or two, then speed does matter.  Now that I have a fast and convenient power auger (6" lazer with an M18 drill) my fishing style has changed.  I move around a lot!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Ran my uncles ion this week end.

Works great. It is light and does the job. Here are the only negatices I can tell. It cuts a little slower. You need to keep the battery warm or it has issues cutting. 8in holes it cuts fine...the 10in auger worm is just to much for it to turn unless you clear the hole every 6in.

Between the Ion and the clam plate drill setups a lot of guys have gone electric. I've kept the jiffy model 30 incase the drill clam plate setup couldnt cut it......jiffy ain't been on the ice yet this year.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:28 AM »

I never really cared about how fast I can drill through the ice before and I have been a run and gun fisherman forever. I just like to get out fishing whenever I can. We just tried it for the heck of it since both augers were brand new at the time. I also tried it last weekend with my 8" K Drill against an 8" Strikemaster Strikelite II gas auger (robin motor) and the gas auger was only a second faster than the K Drill only because I had to clear the shavings out of the hole because of thick ice. If the ice was 16" or under the gas auger and the K Drill would be the same speed. To each their own I guess. I have heard a lot of Ion owners that are very satisfied with their augers as well so get what works with you, and get out and fish.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:23 AM »
i have a 2 year old 8in. ion. only let me down once but i dug 20 holes earlier in the day, left it outside in 15f weather and when i went to use it in the afternoon, it would cut out. just need to pull the battery and keep in shelter till' you need it again. no issues. i wanted a 10in. bit and buy a spare new ion x battery but will cost me more than a new auger. plus the ion struggles w/ the 10in. bit so I'm selling the ion and just ordered the new strike master lithium  laser 10in. for $545 w/ shipping from fish307. bigger battery and better w/ a 10in. bit. can't wait to get it!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I have an ice gator attacker. Got mine when they came out with the version to use with 8" augers. I have an HT Arctic Express 7" auger attached to it. It cuts great holes...and lots of them. I've never had any problems with it...other than being a little heavy.
jbird68

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I ran my clam plate with the gear reduction box and 8" Mora today for the first time, I'm very happy so far, but not a lot of inches cut yet to prove anything IMO..

<°)))>{

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:10 PM »
I ran my clam plate with the gear reduction box and 8" Mora today for the first time, I'm very happy so far, but not a lot of inches cut yet to prove anything IMO..

<°)))>{
Lets see if 2X the holes is possible.....

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:18 PM »

So far it already is, simply because, I don't think I could have made the five holes I made, without the gearbox..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:03 PM »

It won't. There might be a slight improvement, but over all it won't be much. maybe a few more holes out of a battery, but in no way will it double the amount of holes. Personally if you want more holes a spare battery is cheaper than the gear box. The gear box will be great for those that have an underpowered drill, one that was barely enough torque wise, or a brushed drill.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:45 PM »
All my cordless drills are underpowered for an 8" bit..

So for an 8" hole, the gears are needed..

<°)))>{

Offline Vix02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:16 AM »
i have a 2 year old 8in. ion. only let me down once but i dug 20 holes earlier in the day, left it outside in 15f weather and when i went to use it in the afternoon, it would cut out. just need to pull the battery and keep in shelter till' you need it again. no issues. i wanted a 10in. bit and buy a spare new ion x battery but will cost me more than a new auger. plus the ion struggles w/ the 10in. bit so I'm selling the ion and just ordered the new strike master lithium  laser 10in. for $545 w/ shipping from fish307. bigger battery and better w/ a 10in. bit. can't wait to get it!

Any update with this setup?  I'm looking into a StrikeMaster Lithium with a 10'' bit but worried about late ice ( 40'' of ice on Lake Winnipeg )

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:53 PM »
You must of had an old one . New ones are only a couple pounds more than an ion and not loud at all. And drill a lot more holes in a lot more ice . No louder than my atv

You're just jealous you don't have one.    ;D   After 22 years of a Jiffy, I don't regret going with an Ion.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Any update with this setup?  I'm looking into a StrikeMaster Lithium with a 10'' bit but worried about late ice ( 40'' of ice on Lake Winnipeg )
I fished with jacksmelt about a week ago. He was able to drill 5 holes in about 30" of ice with that strikemaster lithium 10". I'm sure it had more left in the tank also. I was impressed for an electric to turn the 10" bit through that much ice.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Vix02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:09 PM »
I fished with jacksmelt about a week ago. He was able to drill 5 holes in about 30" of ice with that strikemaster lithium 10". I'm sure it had more left in the tank also. I was impressed for an electric to turn the 10" bit through that much ice.

Thanks for the response....Sounds like they can do ~38-40 - 10'' holes @24'' of ice.  If I know I could get 20 holes per charge, I'm game for this auger.  The 'Pros' of an electric auger really outweighs the 'CONS'......I load up a sled with gear and travel before hitting the ice.  Electric auger will handle those bumps WAY better.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Just to report my experience. I fish almost every day for pan fish and most around here use a fin bor 4 1/2 hand drill for perch and many use a nils master 6" powered by a Tanaka 2 cycle gas engine for flat fish (gills, sunnies and crappie). A few of the guys started to rig their perch augers with cordless drills either by using a clam plate or having an adapter made to screw into the spindle of the drill which requires removing the chuck. I elected to try it out and had a 16" adapter made threaded with the proper threads for a Dewalt 20V cordless, brushless drill. I chose the Dewalt rather than the Milwaukee M18 fuel due to a better side handle. I wanted a drill with a 5AH battery but the drill that came packaged with the 5AH batteries didn't have an easily removable chuck. The chuck needs a star set screw to be removed and the DCD996 drill kit had some sort of non removable pin so the chuck couldn't be taken off. I brought that back and bought a DCD995M2 drill kit/ with 4AH batteries which had the set screw and I was able to remove the chuck. The adapter screwed right on the drill and accepted the auger from a new fin bor 6" with the same attachment thumb screw as the original handle. The setup is a beast and I have cut over 50 holes through up to 15" of ice with still around half life left on the battery bar. I have yet to have the drill die and haven't seen where the cold affects the battery life. We haven't had the usual deep ice this year in Vermont so I don't know how it will do when we get the usual 24 to 30 inches or more. It is such a pleasure cutting holes with such a light weight drill and the side handle helps to control the drill torque if it catches. I paid $249 for the drill, $54 for the adapter and $95 for the fin bor. The auger is new with sharp blades but when drilling along side a 6" gas auger it is about the same speed but certainly much quieter. When you look at what the higher end augers cost this set up seems like a pretty good deal. I have a friend who set one up before I did and he fishes trout and walleye often and had put an 8" fin bor on his and it cuts good. Just another option for those who chase the fish.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2017, 08:35 AM »
We rated the Ion Auger as our top electric ice Auger.  Two different Eskimos versions came in 2nd and 3rd

http://www.bestfishingreviews.com/electric-ice-auger-review/

BestFishingReviews.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc.
DMCA | Privacy Policy | Terms | Contact Us
Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:25 PM »
I got an Eskimo Mako 43 a couple years ago, and had issues with the power head not turning in cold weather. Yeah kind of ridiculous for an ICE AUGER. Got a new power head from Eskimo with no issues, works awesome now! But still weighs 30+ lbs and when you don't set it down the right way on the ice it leaks gas or floods the carburetor. Went fishing last winter with a guy who ran an Ion, wow! Makes little to no noise and cuts very well, it was a little slow but quiet, ran it all day and cut 40 holes or more through 24" ice. If they weren't so expensive when compared to a gas I would have bought one. Now here I am 2 years later ready to buy an ion or kdrill.  Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 06, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Got the IonX and sold my Strikemaster Honda.  Have a wheel house and need to re-drill holes - the ION X does it and the reverse function helps to flush out the holes.
bestfishes - jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.