Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Cedar Rapids Ice Conditions  (Read 2266 times)

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
Cedar Rapids Ice Conditions
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Has anyone been on the ice around the Cedar Rapids/Cedar Falls area recently?  Did this warm weather and rain make everything unfishable?  I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to check anything.  When I get some free time I'd like to be able to hit the ice.  Thanks

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cedar Rapids Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Fished Palo Sunday, you have to wade through 14" of water for about 6 feet then your on solid ice. most places had 8 to 10 " of ice.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:47 PM »
That sounds nasty.  Were you on Palo Lake or Mud Lake?  How was the bite with this warm crap?

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Get out your long poles put the ice fishing gear away !

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Give it a little bit. Won't take long to refreeze with the temps we have coming up.

Come on guys, let's stay positive here.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:50 PM »
I'm definitely staying positive!  Lows in the teens and twenties starting Thursday night!  Highs are a little warmer than I'd like, but what can a guy do!

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Get out your long poles put the ice fishing gear away !
I will be out tomorrow and single digit lows this weekend just makes more ice. I counting on at least another month.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I have been fishing McBride. Ice is so so. My guide is when I walk up to an open hole and the water does not move fair ice. All the areas I have been at the water moves with every step regardless of the thickness!!! Some rather large weep holes 2' diameter. Ice still comes up as shavings and not miniature ice cubes. With cooler temps the weep holes will crust over. Hopefully there wont be snow to hide them. ALL THE WEEP HOLES ARE FROM 10" AUGERS. I don't go till it gets light. Stay safe.

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I have been fishing McBride. Ice is so so. My guide is when I walk up to an open hole and the water does not move fair ice. All the areas I have been at the water moves with every step regardless of the thickness!!! Some rather large weep holes 2' diameter. Ice still comes up as shavings and not miniature ice cubes. With cooler temps the weep holes will crust over. Hopefully there wont be snow to hide them. ALL THE WEEP HOLES ARE FROM 10" AUGERS. I don't go till it gets light. Stay safe.

Macho men need 10" augers to cover up for other short comings.   They probably use 12" if they made them.   I don't see any need for larger than 8" and probably get by with 5" most of time.   10" holes can be dangerous when covered with snow.
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:44 AM »
Good to hear someone is still drilling 10" holes on Macbride.  ::) I used to see those around the powerlines when I fished that area. They must be getting some BIG crappies.

The best is when they drill four side-by side 10" holes an inch or so apart. Get a little warm spell and voila: a 5' x 1' trench an adult could fall in!

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Yup, a 5" auger is enough if you are just catching panfish.

On Macbride I use my 7" because I am usually looking for walleye through the ice.

I have an 8" I use when running tip-ups for pike north of here.

The only thing I could see maybe needing anything larger than an 8" for is if I started targeting trophy musky or lake trout through the ice, or move north and get a permanent shelter. No harm with 10" holes if you are keeping a house on top of them.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I will be out tomorrow and single digit lows this weekend just makes more ice. I counting on at least another month.

Iceman, were you out on the ice yesterday?  If so, where at and how was the ice?  I could've done without this little snowfall we had.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Iceman, were you out on the ice yesterday?  If so, where at and how was the ice?  I could've done without this little snowfall we had.
Yeah I was ice was fine went out again today and got on the ice fine but when I left I went at the ramp I recommend staying away, thank God I had my Striker Ice float suit on.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity. how did the Striker ice suit perform? 

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I didn't see your other post before I asked about the Striker Suit

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Just out of curiosity. how did the Striker ice suit perform?
Ralphy suit worked amazingly.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Yeah I was ice was fine went out again today and got on the ice fine but when I left I went at the ramp I recommend staying away, thank God I had my Striker Ice float suit on.

I had heard that someone took a swim.  Glad you're alright sir.  I will definitely stay away.  Word has it that Macbride has good ice so I might head down that way this weekend.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Gotta avoid those ramps! Glad you are okay, hope you didn't lose any of your gear!

Boat ramps are the deepest spot along shore since they usually dig them out with a backhoe when constructing the ramps. Also boats power loading make a washout just behind them, and often times they hit a shallow spring as well when dredging around them as well. And we all know that concrete absorbs heat, so around the ramp is usually thinner ice late in the year. On early/late ice, its best to go about 10 foot on either side of the ramp, that is usually where the backhoe dumps its bucket when constructing the ramp to make it easier to put in the docks. Often times it is 2'  deep where it is 6' on the ramp. Just one more precaution in case someone ever breaks through like that without a suit, you may be able to touch.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Gotta avoid those ramps! Glad you are okay, hope you didn't lose any of your gear!

Boat ramps are the deepest spot along shore since they usually dig them out with a backhoe when constructing the ramps. Also boats power loading make a washout just behind them, and often times they hit a shallow spring as well when dredging around them as well. And we all know that concrete absorbs heat, so around the ramp is usually thinner ice late in the year. On early/late ice, its best to go about 10 foot on either side of the ramp, that is usually where the backhoe dumps its bucket when constructing the ramp to make it easier to put in the docks. Often times it is 2'  deep where it is 6' on the ramp. Just one more precaution in case someone ever breaks through like that without a suit, you may be able to touch.
Great advice Kevin the problem with Palo is with the lake draw down and shoreline renovation, there are very few places to access the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.