Author Topic: New safety device idea..  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New safety device idea..
« on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I've had this rattling around in my head for a while now.. I've thought about it every time we have questionable ice..

This applies to walkers pulling sleds, but I could see it scaled up for machine use as well..

When walking at times, I've been glad my gear is behind me, and probably wouldn't go in the water if I managed to..

You are already pulling the rope of the sled. What if there was a secondary rope with it? Attached to the device on your sled that literally drops anchor with the pull the second rope.. I'm thinking a properly angled, sharpened spike, in a tube? Or maybe a piece of angle iron on a pivot?

Pull the rope, pull yourself back to your gear, go back the way you came..

Don't know if I'll ever get to doing this, but wanted to share in case it might help someone fish again.

Good luck all..

<°)))>{

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
Re: New safety device idea..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:02 AM »
maybe kind of like the sled dog brake system with a counter weight. mite be on to something!
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:04 AM »
maybe kind of like the sled dog brake system with a counter weight. mite be on to something!

Thanks, I was thinking with the right angle, it could use the weight of all the gear in the sled..

<°)))>{

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:08 AM »
oh ya why bring more weight. like anchor's on the back of the bass boats ?
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Hows about a spring loaded spike in a tube sorta like a mole trap ?   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Thanks, I was thinking with the right angle, it could use the weight of all the gear in the sled..

<°)))>{

Other than drilling a hole and adding an anchor(see post #37 below )...then a safety line ...maybe with a Prusik Knot/harness to allow to travel

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=4057.20
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Something like a "power pole" for boats that acts like an anchor and would attach/clamp to the back of the sled, and since it would be on the outside, wouldn't take up much (if any) room. Doesn't have to be spring loaded, but it would ensure good contact with ice.
Maybe like a ratchet design that would need to be manually released in order to be retracted.

I would imagine something like that would be worth more than just a safety device on it's own, as it would also prove to be an ice anchor for sleds on really windy days!

Sounds like a "Shark Tank" entry is in the works!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Maybe something spring loaded you cock forward before you walk out...a sharp tug on the rope it springs a claw into the ice, but a general slow pull wont.  Place it along one side of the sled or the other.  Just have to be careful you a)always load it b) disarm it so it doesnt' accidentally discharge and spike someone.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, a lot of good valid ideas going on here...

I'll admit, there is a part of me, that actually (for my own entertainment, and not entirely dismissed) thought of an approach the uses a .22 Hilti type of round.. lol..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.