The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gas auger  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gas auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Hey guys with electric augers, post some pictures of your augers, you have sparked my interest. I would like to see how you hold them while drilling, do they have a throttle?
Mine has a throttle, I used a clam plate. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:17 PM »
This site is becoming more and more like Facebook every day....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:43 PM »

A new gas auger weight is around 28 pounds..... not 50

Not one I would use...thanks though.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:45 PM »
no throttle, no choke, no primer, no oil, no gas, no weight, no exhaust, not affected by cold. Press the trigger, drill hole, fish.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:55 PM »

Lol. If all it takes is a hole in the ice to "wow" you I'll blow your mind with my auger

Like I said, guys like you will never "get it".   I've had many gas augers all of which drilled holes wonderfully.  Jiffy...check   Tananka/Nils....check   Strikemaster Lazer Pro...check.   But, drills weighing in under 10lbs that can shred 8" holes @ under 1 sec/in certainly has a WOW factor. I know that mostly because every single person who has tried it has literally said out loud.  WOW!   :)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I've had many gas augers all of which drilled holes wonderfully.  Jiffy...check   Tananka/Nils....check   Strikemaster Lazer Pro...check.   But, drills weighing in under 10lbs that can shred 8" holes @ under 1 sec/in certainly has a WOW factor.

exactly :)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:58 PM »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:18 PM »
no throttle, no choke, no primer, no oil, no gas, no weight, no exhaust, not affected by cold. Press the trigger, drill hole, fish.

The drill trigger. Is your throttle. ... only have to prime and choke if it's cold . Filling a gas tank a couple times a year is hard ? Compared to charging multiple batteries every time you use it ?not effected by cold ? That's a joke guys complain all the time about extreme temps cutting down on the number of holes and the best ways to keep your battery's warm so they don't die. Or how to keep rain and slush from killing the drill   ... exhaust ? New auger burn clean you don't even notice the exhaust ....press the trigger, drill, run out of battery power, ask a guy with a gas auger to bail you out ha ha . It's like putting a lawn mower engine on a bike and calling it a motorcycle. It will drive down the road but it's no harley!

Offline mikepautzke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I went to a strikemaster 12 volt that uses the same battery my marcum uses.  never run out of battery power in a day, never tested amount of holes, but for how I fish, it is great.  No fumes, fuel or gas motor not starting.  I really like it. 
Tight lines

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Ohh I for got one thing. I like how the drill chucks come loose and drop that auger down the hole to the bottom of the lake . That will make for a great day of fishing ! Almost forgot about that one. Ha ha

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Lol there is no throttle it is either on or off. It doesn't idle :)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:38 PM »
The trigger of the drill is just like pulling the throttle on a gas auger. You pull it a little it spins slow. You pull it a lot and it spins faster. .....I don't have any cordless drills that have a trigger isn't variable speed ? It's not the same because the engine idles by itself? I don't get what your trying to get ? You do know gas augers have clutches so the auger doesn't spin at idle right ?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:41 PM »
ion x. on or off, nothing in between. I though you were on expert on all augers?

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:56 PM »
This is is some of the funniest posts.Arent we all just trying to drill holes thru ice to fish?and just my two cents but I've used a rigid drill with homemade adapter to a old mora 7" hand drill for 5 seasons now.Who needs a bulky clam plate waste of money.I put a large washer with a small bungee that prevents auger from leaving drill if chuck comes loose.Ive drilled 20" of ice plenty of times with this setup.I also have an old Jiffy 30 for when I want to wake everyone up and just purchased an ion electric and drilled 25 holes thru 17inches with battery left.You should see my chainsaw cut holes.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:38 PM »
ion x. on or off, nothing in between. I though you were on expert on all augers?

I'm talking about the drill / auger combo not the electric ion auger ......not sure what posts your reading

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Throttle...  do you need a hug?  Good grief you are just trolling along.  Go start a grumpy gasser thread.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:28 PM »
No I don't need a hug. Just speaking the truth. The truth hurts sometimes.    .. the subject of this is " gas auger. "
 So I'll talk about gas augers. I'm not grumpy at all , my set up works great  ;D

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:11 PM »
If I may attempt to moderate this post slightly, this is my 2 cents:

Gas augers have undoubtedly been around the longest and are purpose built.  They will work when it's 30 below and are an old standby, but they sometimes leak gas and can lead to issues if not maintained properly.  They are heavy.

Electric drills, although not intended for drilling ice, have been adapted to work well for ice.  They require very little maintenance, but they do take some tinkering to get the "ideal" setup.  These are light.  Ion and Strikemaster have now remedied this by releasing purpose built electric augers for drilling into ice.  These require no maintenance and no tinkering, but they are closer to the weight of a gas auger.

Although an electric auger is much more attractive to me for the lack of maintenance and a lighter setup, unfortunately I'm not sure I'm ready to make the switch yet.  Keeping the batteries warm is easily done inside the jacket or a warm shanty, but i prefer to keep my auger outside my portable, and I don't want batteries inside my jacket if I'm hole hopping around.  I routinely fish in subzero temps with sometimes 30+ inches of ice and I have long walks to spots too. 

Time to go drill some holes, regardless of what you're using. :icefish:

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:22 AM »
So far zero "tinkering" for me.  Bought Drill, bought auger (Kdrill), drilled holes.   Charged batteries, repeat.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:06 AM »
Mine has a throttle, I used a clam plate.  (Image removed from quote.)

Nice electric auger. Do you have any problem keeping the chuck tight. Why is the throttle lever not routed to end of handle?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Nice electric auger. Do you have any problem keeping the chuck tight. Why is the throttle lever not routed to end of handle?
Boatman...  There are no issues with the Clam Plate.  If you use something that directly links your bit to the drill itself, you run the risk of the chuck loosening and the bit dropping.  The clam plate attaches to the drill at the top, and the bit at the bottom with a set screw.  You cant lose anything even if the chuck would come loose.  I literally assembled the clam plate...  5 mins, put my drill on it, and slid my Mora hand auger bit onto the shank at the bottom. took 10 mins. and it was ready to drill.  I have never had my chuck come loose and I did a lot of fishing with it this winter.  The trigger assembly may need a slight adjustment.  It is designed to be adjusted.  It may work at the factory setting, but if you like to use gloves when you auger, you can adjust how close to the handle you want the trigger arm.  In my photo, the plate is sitting in a way that the trigger arm isn't returning to the "home" position.  This is where guys get creative, and add a rubber band or spring mechanism.  It isn't necessary,and in most cases gravity takes care of it when you right the auger.  I have a single rubber band on mine.  Not shown.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.