The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gas auger  (Read 4782 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Gas auger
« on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:21 PM »
So after a few years of using an Eskimo hand auger, I realized that sucked haha. So I messed around with the idea of using a hand drill plus my auger. I watched my brother use his hand drill with my 8 inch auger. So I tried it, but my drill didn't have the amps or torque to get through much more than about 6 inches of ice and a few holes. Anyway I was in the dilemma of either buying a new drill, going down to a 6 inch laser or nils auger and spending $160 ish after new batteries, new auger, and probably a clam plate. So I got online and found a practically new Eskimo mako 43 for $180. I spent about two days and countless hours and time researching and comparing drill/hand auger vs gas auger. I eventually went with the gas auger. I don't have any regrets as far as money well spent. I think they both have their pros and cons. And it really is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge debate. Anyone who is debating on what to get or which route to go. I think you should just go with the budget you have and what your gut tells you. I don't think their is a wrong or right answer, but there are definitely different situations where one set up is more practical than the others. Once the off season comes I'm gonna look for a good nils or lazer auger for a backup.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Well said, i have both set ups and love them both, i have the 43cc mako on an 8" for when the ice gets deep or hope to need the big hole. For my pan fishing and run and gun jigging i bring my Rigid on a 6" Lazer. Both have their time and place, and unless your a species specailist there is no perfect auger.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Its not a chevy vs ford thing it's more like truck vs Prius thing . If you want something to punch holes in ice buy a gas auger if you want something to complain about get a drill/auger  combo

Offline Baconator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I've had a gas auger for over 25 years, and a 6" hand auger for backup.    This year I bought a Nils 6" convertible and a DeWalt 20V, it's an impressive combo. Your fishing style will dictate what equipment you use,  and trust me things change as you get older! A few years and a few back surgeries ago, the weight of my gear never crossed my mind. These days I try to go lighter if I can.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:38 PM »
I bought a Milwaukee m18 fuel and 8" kdrill this season. But I am not getting rid of my jiffy mod. 30 gas auger yet, just giving it some time off retirement. If / when we get 24" + it's hard to beat a gas auger. About 3-4 years ago I even bought a 6" extension for the jiffy, the power head was almost against the ice before it was breaking through. Just to much wear and tear for a electric drill setup imo. If / when we ever get that much ice again?

Offline CaptZeus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:29 PM »
Owned a Jiffy Stealth 3.0 HP (10") for the last 10 years. Started giving me some trouble last year for the first time. Switched over to non-ethanol fuel (True fuel, from Home Depot). This Jiffy has never run better! Feels like I have a little more torque also. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:36 PM »
Always run a good fuel treatment I like start tron seems to be the best all around fuel treatment. Even if it says non ethanol from the pump it can still have some in it. Run them a few time in the summer to keep the fresh fuel flowing and that will cut down on common fuel issues !

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:43 PM »
This Full Throttle guy has been on every auger post bashing the drill/auger bit combos.  If you had one, you could at least make a good argument, but you never cite any examples, so...  just bash.  I don't know where exactly you fish but the ice must be tough as hell there.  I have Ice fished all over the Upper Midwest and a bit in Canada.  I'm no world traveler for ice fishing but a pretty good testament for a crap ton of ice happens in northern Minnesota.   My 20v. Dewalt (PRIUS) made light work of 19-22 inches of good hard ice without bogging down or skipping a beat.  The batteries barely came off of the full charge mark after 10 holes.  Each day for several days.  That is roughly 200 inches of ice drilled each day, without being close to killing the 5 AH battery.  I know there is thicker ice somewhere, but I wouldn't worry about it.  I would bring my drill combo with the extension.  Sure you could drill a thousand holes a day with a gas auger, and I may only get 200, but who needs that many holes in one day.  My combo weighs a fraction of your gas auger, it's easier to use, I do not need to carry oil, gas, or worry about spills, ignition hazards, owning spare parts, or which way to lay my auger down so it doesn't leak oil and gas in my truck.  There are no fumes when you use it, your 5 year old can carry it, and you have a tool as well as an ice auger.  With a gasser, you have a dedicated auger.  Anybody who has spent more than an hour on the ice has heard the cussing of a gasser guy trying to get their drill going.  It happens.  Sure you can do routine maintenance and keep it forever, I know I have one.  It is pretty old, but leaky and stinky.   I will hopefully not use my gasser again.  I have had many!!! Now I have this.   If it can continue to cut ice like it does with just an OLD MORA hand auger bit attached, I will spring for a NILS head next year.  I will be on my third trip to Minnesota this week and will be bringing my Prius wonder drill!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:11 PM »
I've had a Strikemaster 8" with a 4 stroke Honda engine for 5 years and performs great. Like that I don't have to mix oil with the gas, real simple to change oil every season.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:33 PM »
So after a few years of using an Eskimo hand auger, I realized that sucked haha. So I messed around with the idea of using a hand drill plus my auger. I watched my brother use his hand drill with my 8 inch auger. So I tried it, but my drill didn't have the amps or torque to get through much more than about 6 inches of ice and a few holes. Anyway I was in the dilemma of either buying a new drill, going down to a 6 inch laser or nils auger and spending $160 ish after new batteries, new auger, and probably a clam plate. So I got online and found a practically new Eskimo mako 43 for $180. I spent about two days and countless hours and time researching and comparing drill/hand auger vs gas auger. I eventually went with the gas auger. I don't have any regrets as far as money well spent. I think they both have their pros and cons. And it really is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge debate. Anyone who is debating on what to get or which route to go. I think you should just go with the budget you have and what your gut tells you. I don't think their is a wrong or right answer, but there are definitely different situations where one set up is more practical than the others. Once the off season comes I'm gonna look for a good nils or lazer auger for a backup.

I run a 6" lazer on a dewalt, but some times it would be fun to have a gas 10" powerhouse!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:50 PM »
Lol you must be on crack if you think your drill can cut 200 8-10 inch holes in 2 feet of ice on one battery. All you guys do is complain about how poorly they work. How it blows up drills how gear boxes blow up How the battery's don't hold up in the cold ,how your stuck with 4 inch holes. I have multiple 20 volt drills and a hand auger to adapt to. But there is no replacement for my gas auger 1-2 pulls every time to start it. Its not heavy. I have filled it 2 times this year. Doesn't leak . I literally keep it in the back of my truck all season. A drill auger set up is about 15 pounds add a clam plate 20. Plus extra battery's . A new age gas auger is around 28 pounds . I just don't get the point of why you would spend more money to get something that isn't as good. Other than to show off to your friends " hey look what my drill can do , watch me fight to drill some holes in this ice " I guess if you have the drill and already have the auger and all you have to do is buy the adapter it would be ok for thin ice . But to buy each peace new it makes no sense to me.  If you want something to cut holes in ice , buy an ice auger bottom line. it will last longer in the long run. A drill set up has a much shorter life span. My wheeler doesn't care about the few extra pounds on it

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:01 PM »
Sorry I screwed up , 200 inches. Not 200 holes . 8. 3 holes per battery on a good day per battery really isn't good lol. In ny we can have 7 tip ups. I always drill a few test holes. Maybe move my set few times . Man the drills are even worse than I thought. I bet I can get at least 100 holes out of one tank of fuel! I'm waiting for a guy with a drill set up to ask me to lend him a few holes ha ha

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:41 PM »
Lol you must be on crack if you think your drill can cut 200 8-10 inch holes in 2 feet of ice on one battery. All you guys do is complain about how poorly they work. How it blows up drills how gear boxes blow up How the battery's don't hold up in the cold ,how your stuck with 4 inch holes. I have multiple 20 volt drills and a hand auger to adapt to. But there is no replacement for my gas auger 1-2 pulls every time to start it. Its not heavy. I have filled it 2 times this year. Doesn't leak . I literally keep it in the back of my truck all season. A drill auger set up is about 15 pounds add a clam plate 20. Plus extra battery's . A new age gas auger is around 28 pounds . I just don't get the point of why you would spend more money to get something that isn't as good. Other than to show off to your friends " hey look what my drill can do , watch me fight to drill some holes in this ice " I guess if you have the drill and already have the auger and all you have to do is buy the adapter it would be ok for thin ice . But to buy each peace new it makes no sense to me.  If you want something to cut holes in ice , buy an ice auger bottom line. it will last longer in the long run. A drill set up has a much shorter life span. My wheeler doesn't care about the few extra pounds on it

I had a drill, and had a lazer 6"  My blades are dull now, and im getting a little better than 500" of ice per battery.  I was in this for $20 adaptor , I use the drill for work to mix mud and concrete with, and I dont get to go out all that much because of my two young kids. Ya, the electric auger ROCKS!! a new gas auger would be nice except for the noise, but for $20 verses a new auger??  And I have yet to talk to any one on the lake with a ION that complains about it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:03 AM »
like others here, some of us have good tools for augers to use that we use for work too, so why not use it for fun too. i have no complaints about my drill/auger set up for over 10 years. i drill 50 holes a battery and take two batteries and only use one most times. i like to jig fish tho so a 6" hole is enough. i can charge my batteries in the the vehicle for free. so no operating costs either. doing this while driving of coarse so no extra fuel is wasted.
i cut up to 24 inches of ice with my older drill that is much weaker than my new one. it would cut more, but that's all we get here.
all of my friends use drill/auger set ups that i started us on years ago. none of us have had any issues with them.
i only buy ridgid brand tools. they are lifetime warranted. same with my friends.

no, you don't need a clam plate. if your used to using your tools and know how to handle them. you can't have a clam plate holding your drill for you while cutting 6" holes in petrified hard wood running plumbing them. there is no room for it either. you better know how to use your tools in times like that. standing straight up cutting a hole that has next to no resistance don't need a giant handle to get the job done.

there is a plate with a gear box built-in on ebay called the kicker 2 that would you to cut big holes or get longer run times or both. if you really want a plate or a gear box that works so you can have any size auger on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Kicker-II-New-Model-combo-ice-fishing-auger-adapter-/162300644253?hash=item25c9df4b9d:g:d1IAAOSwcUBYPOfV

there are plenty of gas/propane auger problems here.
they are in the auger section
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Lol you must be on crack if you think your drill can cut 200 8-10 inch holes in 2 feet of ice on one battery. All you guys do is complain about how poorly they work. How it blows up drills how gear boxes blow up How the battery's don't hold up in the cold ,how your stuck with 4 inch holes. I have multiple 20 volt drills and a hand auger to adapt to. But there is no replacement for my gas auger 1-2 pulls every time to start it. Its not heavy. I have filled it 2 times this year. Doesn't leak . I literally keep it in the back of my truck all season. A drill auger set up is about 15 pounds add a clam plate 20. Plus extra battery's . A new age gas auger is around 28 pounds . I just don't get the point of why you would spend more money to get something that isn't as good. Other than to show off to your friends " hey look what my drill can do , watch me fight to drill some holes in this ice " I guess if you have the drill and already have the auger and all you have to do is buy the adapter it would be ok for thin ice . But to buy each
peace new it makes no sense to me.  If you want something to cut holes in ice , buy an ice auger bottom line. it will last longer in the long run. A drill set up has a much shorter life span. My wheeler doesn't care about the few extra pounds on it

Um my m18 fuel drill and 8" kdrill weigh's in at 10 Lbs. Vs your 28 Lbs that is a lot less wear and tear on this old man.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:01 AM »
The Kicker is chain driven which may be a good idea.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:06 AM »
[quote author=3300 link=topic=342606.msg3640667#msg3640667 date=1485151424 i like to jig fish tho so a 6" hole is enough. i can charge my batteries in the the vehicle for free. so no operating costs either.

[/quote]

I hope you realize that jack you plug your drill battery into isn't powered by magic, it's powered by a battery that gets changed by an alternator that's ran off an engine =not free

Like I said before if you have everything already ( like having a drill you use for work ) run it, but if you have to go out and buy everything to make it happen I just don't see it .

I also like larger holes 8-10 . Helps on shrinkage from freeze up on a cold day . Also helps for larger fish 3 feet + pike . gives you some room to get your hands in the hole  . I haven't seen a drill combo yet that works good with even an 8 inch auger. They all bog down and you have to keep lifting them up and down to clear the chips

But hey use what you want. I'll stick to my truck of an auger if you need to get pulled out of a ditch with your Prius let me know I'm always willing to held a helping hand !

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Guys like Fullthrottle don’t get it and they probably won’t.   Some guys fish differently than others.  Not everyone drives around in a truck and able to pull up to a spot and pile everything in and out the box.  A lot of guys walk and sometimes walk a long ways and through thick backwoods stuff through knee deep snow.   Easily eliminating 15lbs is a no brainer.     Also do a comparison search and I would bet that the complaints and questions about mixing fuel, gummed up carbs, and noxious fumes would be the overwhelming favorites.   

This isn’t about some kind of “green” movement or hugging trees, its about a dependable tool that works great and makes a day on the ice more enjoyable.   Is it perfect?  Of course not, but the more people that adopt it, the better it will get and the quicker it will evolve.   I’ve been fishing a long time and it takes quite a bit to WOW me, but that’s what happened with the first hole I drilled with my setup and every hole since. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I have an 18v drill, but I doubt the batteries have a very high amp hour rating. It's a Ryobi, but since I'm retired I don't feel I need one with a seat and handle bars. I also have a gas auger that weighs one pound more than an Ion and works well for me as I'm 73 and don't drill a ton of holes. I go to the gym and work out five days a week just so I can handle that big bad boy. Also, I'm hoping if this horse isn't dead I'll be able to choke the darn thing. I really don't have a dog in this fight and it's just a bit of humor from an old coot who used to chop a hole with an axe and I'm pretty sure it was analog like my flashers.  ;D ;) :icefish:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Sounds like you are talking about something you have no first hand experience with...just what you read somewhere...

I have used them before and not impressed. I see people struggling with them all the time. I just don't waste my time with that kinda stuff ,I go for what's proven to work best and fits my fishing style best.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:57 AM »
I can drill through 2000+ inches of ice with my 8" K Drill and Milwaukee Fuel drill. I have 2 5.0 batteries and one 9.0 battery. That equals out to over 100 holes though 20" of ice before I need a charge. It weighs only 13lbs including the weight of the extra batteries. I can drill connecting holes if a larger hole is desired, and I can reopen old holes with ease with the K Drill. There is no dealing with gas, oil, not starting, and other mechanical issues gas augers have. It doesn't stink up the house if I drag it out. I haven't used a gas auger all season and I don't plan to.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:03 AM »
A lot of guys walk and sometimes walk a long ways and through thick backwoods stuff through knee deep snow.   Easily eliminating 15lbs is a no brainer. 

That's why I take my drill auger when I walk over 2 miles to get to my spot.. My gasser stays on shore.. I can still manage to get 12lb walleye through a 6" hole...

Some day my drill will be running an 8" bit..

<°)))>{

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Have yet to struggle with my X. Who's going to struggle more, the guy/gal using the 27 pound electric auger or the 50 pound gas powered auger? And in the end, the result is the same. A hole in the ice.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Have yet to struggle with my X. Who's going to struggle more, the guy/gal using the 27 pound electric auger or the 50 pound gas powered auger? And in the end, the result is the same. A hole in the ice.

A new gas auger weight is around 28 pounds..... not 50

Just watched 2 reviews on the fuel drill with the k drill and one with an unknown brand both drill combos got 360 -500 inches of ice per battery that's 20-15 holes per battery in 2 feet of ice . I never said they won't cut ice. It's just not my cup of tea

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I learned 15 years ago that I never wanted to use a hand auger again.  Anything that keeps me from having to do so is a winner in my book.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Guys like Fullthrottle don’t get it and they probably won’t.   Some guys fish differently than others.  Not everyone drives around in a truck and able to pull up to a spot and pile everything in and out the box.  A lot of guys walk and sometimes walk a long ways and through thick backwoods stuff through knee deep snow.   Easily eliminating 15lbs is a no brainer.     Also do a comparison search and I would bet that the complaints and questions about mixing fuel, gummed up carbs, and noxious fumes would be the overwhelming favorites.   

This isn’t about some kind of “green” movement or hugging trees, its about a dependable tool that works great and makes a day on the ice more enjoyable.   Is it perfect?  Of course not, but the more people that adopt it, the better it will get and the quicker it will evolve.   I’ve been fishing a long time and it takes quite a bit to WOW me, but that’s what happened with the first hole I drilled with my setup and every hole since.
I'm trying not make this a direct quarrel with Full Throttle, but seriously man...  you are so worried about arguing about it, your not even reading the posts!!!  My orig. post said 200 inches before it even came off of a full charge.  I have no clue as to how many holes I can drill.  I guess it at somewhere near 30 to be safe???  PER BATTERY!!!  I have two batteries!  Hand someone a gas can and an auger, or a drill and an extra battery and see which they prefer rather carry.  I haven't weighed my clam plate, but I have a hard time believing that the small aluminum plate weighs anywhere near 20 lbs.  Most of the guys posting about burned up drills are simply commenting or getting opinion on drills they currently own, so they don't burn one up, not because they actually burned a drill.  There are a few guys complaining about the setup on here for sure, but mostly about not having the amp hour batteries that is recommended, thus poor performance, or arguing about which bit is best.  Most gasser guys are also commenting that they wouldn't use this setup on thick ice... where do you guys fish???  Do you have it thicker than 22 inches?  That is the last hole I drilled with no problems...  As far as the batteries getting cold, way more comments on how it doesn't really affect them rather than the complaints about them getting cold.  But it makes sense...  keep your battery warm!  I will be perfectly honest...  If you fish where the ice is four foot thick and can't find a place ANYWHERE to plug in a battery after two full days of fishing because you packed out using a musk ox and you only fish OFF THE GRID, you need that smell of auger fuel in the morning, and will never find the need for a cordless drill around the house, this setup is NOT for you.  The only thing I miss about my the gas auger I still own is that auger smell in the morning!!! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:13 AM »

Lol. If all it takes is a hole in the ice to "wow" you I'll blow your mind with my auger

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Haha this thread cracks me up. I didn't mean for a cold blooded civil war between shanty brothers, I was just making a statement on what I had assessed this year with different augers.
I guess I like to think of it like a hand auger without a drill is like a polaris ranger side by side. A hand auger with a drill is like a gas truck. And a gas auger is like a diesel.
They will all do pretty much the same thing just at different speeds and with less weight, you can pretty much accomplish anything the other one can. (not everything but pretty close) In some instances one is better then the other. Whether your on thin ice, walking along ways, $$$$ factor for being able to afford something, needed power, muscle strength, handiness to fix, multi-use.

I could only afford a hand auger a few years ago so that is what I did. I used my "Polaris ranger" to get the job done. Then I had a "gas truck" set up and it worked. But I decided to try a "diesel truck" and really enjoy it. I have and WILL use each "ranger" "gas" and "diesel" auger set up throughout my life and I'm sure I will jump back and forth as technology increases. Some day the auger drill setup could probably be superior. And at some point gas augers might have fuel injection. I don't have a loyalty to one method or another right now.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Hey guys with electric augers, post some pictures of your augers, you have sparked my interest. I would like to see how you hold them while drilling, do they have a throttle?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I still think the drill / auger combo is best put as a Prius lol I think a ranger is pushing it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.