Author Topic: 40 Degrees and Raining  (Read 791 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
40 Degrees and Raining
« on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Reaching out to the people with more experience.

We have had one week of weather near 40F after weeks below 0F, and now we are on the second day in a row of rain on top. Ice was about a foot thick before where I was fishing and thick enough for trucks elsewhere. Assuming the ice is still safe, what are the fish up to? Would you expect them to move up shallow like early/late season?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 40 Degrees and Raining
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:35 PM »
62 and sunny here in Northern Indiana.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:13 PM »
64 sun wall to wall....mid Jan....not good open water >
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I would start with where you had been catching them, or your usual mid winter spots. If they're not there that's when I would start heading towards latest ice spots.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:39 AM »
57 degrees and sunny yesterday some of the same today. I know let's play fish, got any two's?  ;D

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:12 AM »
64 and nice yesterday, and 61 today with rain later! No lakes have had safe ice at all this winter!!! I'm looking at my seed catalogs!!!  ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I was out yesterday afternoon we are still driving our trucks out 16" of ice, but the snow is about gone and lakes back down to bare ice. Water running down the holes like late March. If it doesn't get cold again soon I will probably start going out with the snowmobile and not the truck. Looks like a nice cool down coming Wednesday, with no snow on the ice it should firm up quick and start making ice again.
Oh yea we did catch 4 nice walleye.

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Fish should be in their mid winter pattern still.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:56 PM »
The water under the ice is still cold, fish have no clue what the air temperature is. I think patterns have more to do with oxygen level and hours of daylight. So we are nearing mid winter. I still say February is are coldest month of the year around these parts.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Going to start getting my long rods respooled and ready to go but the hope is still for a refreeze! Which ever way it goes I am going to be ready to fish! If the ice goes the fish will not race to a different depth until the water temps and oxygen levels tell them to.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Just remembering last winter right now we were at 1st ice period. Last winter we were spuding our way out checking safe ice 2nd week of January.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.