The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Iceless in Ohio, and looking for suggestions  (Read 1792 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Iceless in Ohio, and looking for suggestions
« on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:13 AM »
The ice has come and gone twice now here in Ohio, and I’m planning a trip up north the first weekend in February. I don’t plan to keep fish, and I’m not real picky about what I’m catching. But, I’m primarily interested in crappie, perch, and bluegill (in that order). I’m dragging a 1 man flip on foot. I move around a lot searching for fish, but since I’m on foot it is not really practical on larger lakes that might require moving a mile between spots. If the bite is dead, I have no problem packing-up and moving to a different lake to find the fish. I do marathon sessions on the lake. Arrive before dawn and fish deep into the night….until the crappie stop biting. I will have three days/ two nights to fish.

I’m considering two options at this point:

Staying in Harrison. Budd Lake is the perfect size to explore on foot, and seems to have a decent population of panfish. If the fish are not cooperating at Budd, there looks to be plenty of smaller lakes in the area. In addition, Lake Mitchell/Cadillac and Higgins would be options less than an hour away.

Staying in Cadillac. I’ve read a lot of good stuff about crappie on Mitchell, but I’m not sure that it will be practical to fish on foot? If the bite on Mitchell/Cadillac is off, staying in this area would put upper Hamlin, Manistee, and Portage into play.

The only place that I have fished in the area is Houghton, and it is just too big for me to fish on foot. Here in Ohio, my closest ice fishing (when there is ice) is an hour and a half away. You have so many amazing options, I cannot decide where I should make base camp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Iceless in Ohio, and looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Cadillac and Mitchell are fairly large lakes, but with multiple launch locations they are easily navigable on foot.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Hey there if I was you I wouldn't just walk out onto any lake this week. The ice conditions will vary a lot. Find someone who knows a certain lake well and go with them. It's supposed to freeze again Thursday morning and stay cool for a while so if you can wait till next weekend it would be best. I have a couple lakes in Livingston county that I fish regularly that still have 6" of hard ice. But some of the other lakes are not safe at all. use caution be safe
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:20 AM »
The ice has come and gone twice now here in Ohio, and I’m planning a trip up north the first weekend in February. I don’t plan to keep fish, and I’m not real picky about what I’m catching. But, I’m primarily interested in crappie, perch, and bluegill (in that order). I’m dragging a 1 man flip on foot. I move around a lot searching for fish, but since I’m on foot it is not really practical on larger lakes that might require moving a mile between spots. If the bite is dead, I have no problem packing-up and moving to a different lake to find the fish. I do marathon sessions on the lake. Arrive before dawn and fish deep into the night….until the crappie stop biting. I will have three days/ two nights to fish.

I’m considering two options at this point:

Staying in Harrison. Budd Lake is the perfect size to explore on foot, and seems to have a decent population of panfish. If the fish are not cooperating at Budd, there looks to be plenty of smaller lakes in the area. In addition, Lake Mitchell/Cadillac and Higgins would be options less than an hour away.

Staying in Cadillac. I’ve read a lot of good stuff about crappie on Mitchell, but I’m not sure that it will be practical to fish on foot? If the bite on Mitchell/Cadillac is off, staying in this area would put upper Hamlin, Manistee, and Portage into play.

The only place that I have fished in the area is Houghton, and it is just too big for me to fish on foot. Here in Ohio, my closest ice fishing (when there is ice) is an hour and a half away. You have so many amazing options, I cannot decide where I should make base camp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

You may want to stay closer tobhome. Our ice is not the greatest right now, UT the walleye fishing around Cedar Poin Huron is really good by boat right now. It was worth the drive this weekend to go down there. Fish up to 12 pounds being caught.

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Fished Mitchell last week in small cove in 5fow and did well on the crappie. We were off the pack and inside the point, we rode quads from the cabin but there's an access point right there and it's not a long walk at all.  Pike kept us busy enough on the tip ups as well. 

Offline fishingful

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:02 PM »
I am in Ohio and heading to fletchers pond this weekend. Our boat is on blocks at the marina lol. Need some ice since erie doesn't look like it's going to freeze.

I got out a few times. But no ice on any lakes here. I live by Mogadore lake

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I still have not decided where to go, but it will be on the weekend of February 4th. I was all set to go to Budd since it is a smaller lake and easy to cover on foot. However, those crappie in the picture above make it very difficult NOT to go to Mitchell. You guys in Michigan have it made! So many great lake to choose from.

Offline deeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I am in Ohio and heading to fletchers pond this weekend. Our boat is on blocks at the marina lol. Need some ice since erie doesn't look like it's going to freeze.

I got out a few times. But no ice on any lakes here. I live by Mogadore lake

We fished there during MLK and did decent.  Between 8 guys over 2 full days we landed about 8 pike with the biggest at around 38" and many in the 24-30" range.  Saw a good amount of perch on the camera but they had no desire to bit anything we offered.  We did have 3 guys get skunked and several with just 1 pike for 2 days.  We are not going back......

Offline Bodean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Lots of good places to fish within an hr of Harrison crooked lake in lake station giving up some crappie just before dark five lakes in Clare just a stone's throw from Jay's has a good crappie population big main basin with forty foot of water couple of good lakes in the Marion area stop by the dream cafe on the weekend around 6:30 in the morning ask for bodean I'll line you out

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Thanks everyone! The crappie pics from Mitchell sealed the deal, and I’m going up next week. I plan to hit both Mitchell & Cadillac, might make a day trip to Hamlin or Portage, and will give Budd Lake on try in the morning on the way home. I’m trying to hit a lot of places to do some recon for a longer trip/larger group later in the month.

Offline kuther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Mark the weekend of Feb. 2,3 & 4 is the weekend of North American Snow Festival in Cadillac so there will be a lot of activity on the lakes. I am originally from Ohio moved up here a little over a year ago after I retired. I was from the Sidney Ohio area , I mainly ice fished Indian Lake and Fort Loramie for years. I have been doing good on the crappies on Lake Mitchell using small jigs with spikes and with the smallest forage spoons with waxworms. PM me if you need any more information

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't catch em' on the couch
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Thanks everyone! The crappie pics from Mitchell sealed the deal, and I’m going up next week. I plan to hit both Mitchell & Cadillac, might make a day trip to Hamlin or Portage, and will give Budd Lake on try in the morning on the way home. I’m trying to hit a lot of places to do some recon for a longer trip/larger group later in the month.

Saw your reply on the thread I started.  Both lakes is a LOT of water to cover in a weekend.  We tried cadillac last year and only found dink perch but mainly had Saturday to fish.  This year will be different.  Good luck!!
Tight lines and loose morals!

Offline Bodean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:50 AM »
What happened to this guy 3 or 4 post looking for info bunch of guys try to help him out then he disappears

Offline cnewby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:58 AM »
What happened to this guy 3 or 4 post looking for info bunch of guys try to help him out then he disappears

It would appear he got his info and ran with it as most lurkers do around here.

Offline Bodean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Kinda makes a guy wanna be tight lipped I guess

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.