New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo, Shappell, Frabill or Clam  (Read 5806 times)

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
Re: Eskimo, Shappell, Frabill or Clam
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Bought an Eskimo Quick Fish 3 in 2009 and it is still in perfect condition after years of regular use and abuse. Easy to put up and take down. Think I paid $160 for it. Worth every penny.
I also have an eskimo quick fish 3 that I got in 2007. Been used hundreds of times and not a thing wrong with it.

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2017, 04:36 PM »
I am very happy with my Clam Denali. It came with two swivel seats on opposite sides so you can fish two hole per side. On occasion we do fish with four guys and still have room. The two extra guys usually bring "stadium seats" that butt up to the fixed seats.  The hut has a thermal ceiling which helps us to stay warm on very cold days.  One draw back is that it's heavy so we always envite someone a lot younger to help drag it out and lift it into my SUV. Hope this helps you out.

Offline Krocodile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Got an Otter XTH Cabin and would not think about getting another un-insulated shanty, best sleds too.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Got a Otter on the way ,like the sled  and the thickness of the material.Owned
a clam guide for the last 10 years      and  it owes me nothing.For towing behind A wheeler or sled I would go with Otter

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I like the Shappell.
Master Laker taker.

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Bought a clam jason mitchel 2 man with pro hitch.  Fishes 2 and can add a 3rd in a pinch

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Remember when you first saw a portable shanty on the ice and said "what the heck is that thing?

Offline fishermann25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:02 PM »
The Eskimo pop up shelters have been great to me. I have had mine for 5 years now and still no major issues.

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I love my Cabelas 3 man, (XT 2000 I think) which according to the Clam rep at the outdoor show in the Falls last weekend, is made by Clam.

Whatever you get, the insulated top is a must have for me, just to stop the frost from forming due to condensate from the heater. 

The Clam huts at the show were pretty nice, just expensive.

Offline waterwolf16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:52 PM »
I have a shappell 6500 and love it nice and roomy holds heat well and still light enough to drag through heavy snow

Offline Jasonhammell1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I have a fabrill speed shack paid 100$ used but practically new speed is the word can have it up in less than a minute hard bottom and has removable covers for jig holes its a 2 man works great but if u have snow on the ice shes pretty stubborn to pull unless u have a atv or sled witch i do lol but if u want easy portable shelter than the clam pop ups are the way to go thick insulated open bottom for maximum fishing and pretty cheep u can get a 4-5 man one for 200

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:38 PM »
I have an Eskimo Fatfish 767 pop up which is a little tight with 3 but doable. With some coordination I think I could get 4 people fishing (especially one or two kids). I have had no complaints. It is warm, no problems with condensation, easy to set up and tear down with two people, and manageable if I am solo (though I usually use no shelter when solo unless it is very cold).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.