New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo, Shappell, Frabill or Clam  (Read 5807 times)

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo, Shappell, Frabill or Clam
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:43 PM »
What 2-3 person shelter should I get... Not sure what one to get... Never had one before. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
FLAG, FLAG...... FISH ON!!!!!

Offline Crappie Killr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo, Shappell, Frabill or Clam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I have a Shappell 3 man. It goes goes up and comes down easily and fits nicely in its bag.  My word of advice is that whatever the manufacturers rating for the number a people it's made for, subtract 1. No way 3 men could fish in mine with any level of comfort.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:01 PM »
OTTER

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I have a Shappell 3 man. It goes goes up and comes down easily and fits nicely in its bag.  My word of advice is that whatever the manufacturers rating for the number a people it's made for, subtract 1. No way 3 men could fish in mine with any level of comfort.
  agree..   Other then that, it's Ford vs. Chevy vs........ debate. 

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Get a Chevy.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Are you looking for a pop-up or flip over? Was at field and stream on MLK day and saw they had a really nice frabill flip over for $399. On sale, regular $799. It wasn't insulated but looked like a great deal. Tons of square footage. Not bad for a first shanty. My plan is to get an otter, but the price is crazy high.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Clam all the way. Great quality, #1 on the ice just like Merc is #1 on the water.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Pop ups are nice if you like to pack light. But I find I don't move much once I set up camp with a pop-up. Flip over makes it easier to move when chasing fish

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Reeds has some deals on otter right now,problem is you will get killed on shipping  but no tax.If you go to Gander they will price match,free shipping to store but you will have the tax.  I  Would  call Gander s   home office though ,that's what I did .Hopefully mine will be here Wednesday  so I can row it out on the open water.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:16 PM »
I have owned a bunch but my new Eskimo Evo 1 crossover is amazing!!!!

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Great feed back guys!!!!? I really appreciate it!!! Colder temps are coming  Big Tupper!!! I think I might get a Shappell 6500 I found a new one  for 200. Thanks again guys. Tight lines!!!

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Otter lodge

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:42 AM »
Just got a clam six pack mag 1660 thermal, thing is big. Haven't used it yet. I bought online from L&M fleet supply best prices I could find anywhere. 

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:43 AM »
OTTER!!
"MONGO'S"

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:06 AM »
Me I would shop around and find a fullly thermal model and check e mails cause I just bought a frabill bunker 450 a big 6 man full insulated shanty for 219.99 got 15%off and it going to be here soon... reg price was 439.99 plus tax and shipping.   any how watch e mails and search shanties like by model number and brand in google.. cause that's how I found the bunker 450 was on sale.. I did not get a e mail and I was a first time customer at field and stream store.  Always shop around this is the end of ice season time for good clearence sales. 

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:27 AM »
X2 on the Shappell 6500.
I've had mine for three years and am fully satisfied. I usually fish with my two grown sons and there is plenty of room inside for all of us and our gear. The hubs pop right up and setup/takedown is a breeze.
We were on the Branchport arm two years ago in March with 14 degree air temp and 20 mph wind and were perfectly comfortable inside without having a heater. Make sure you have at least four ice anchors-- you'll need to tie it down on a windy day or it'll walk-- use the hub anchor straps-- the walls can pop in on a windy day.
Additionally, someone at Shappell had their head screwed on right when they designed the carrying bag-- it is slightly oversized and the tent actually goes in easily without having to wrestle with it on the ice.
$200 is a great price.  :)
Enjoy.
Chas

Offline Familyfishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " it's all good"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I just the Eskimo quichfish 3i , easy set up. Got it from l&m fleet ,220 and free shipping . Thermal is nice easy to heat . Fish-on !!!!!!!!!!

Fishmon

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:25 AM »
Just got the Otter Cabin for $250 on sale from Fish USA.  Free shipping.  Great service from Fish USA. Set it up last night for first time and was impressed with quality.  It is insulated and has nice windows and anchor kit.  It would be very comfortable for two large people and their fishing gear.  You could fit 3 in there but a little crowded depending on size of people.   If fishing with 3, I would put 2 people on one side and 1 on opposite side to avoid overcrowding.   Windows on all four sides are removable. The fish able area is roughly 6' x6'.  A small heater would be more than OK to heat it.  I am 6' tall and it has more than enough headroom for me.  Weighs about 35 pounds and has nice carrying bag that is big enough to get shelter back into easily. Carry bag has shoulder straps if you want to go that route.  I would just throw it in a sled or strap to my ATV.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Bought an Eskimo Quick Fish 3 in 2009 and it is still in perfect condition after years of regular use and abuse. Easy to put up and take down. Think I paid $160 for it. Worth every penny.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:30 AM »
 My better half bought me a gander hub type 3 yrs ago. It was affordable and works well. Was under $200. You might want more, but depending on your needs why break the bank. I have had if out in -20 with the wind chill, and with a small heater I was just fine. I did get some extra screws for the ice to lash it down in a wind. my first investment was a pak shack....what a mistake Broke the first time I used it. Quick fish is probably a little better quality.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2017, 03:23 PM »
I have a Quick Fish 3I and love it. Easy up and down and not too bad to carry. As others have said when it says 3 people be aware that it will be tight for 3 to fish. If using for shelter only 3-4 people can sit in there to keep out of elements fine.

Offline Chilled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:17 PM »
I have a clam nanook 2 man and I love it. Easy to transport and plenty of fishing space
Flag up!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Clam all the way. Great quality, #1 on the ice just like Merc is #1 on the water.

Merc have  been using both Tohatsu and Yamaha for 20 years For most engine manufacturing. They just paint them black and slap on a Merc sticker ha ha. But clam all the way

Offline S and K fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:04 AM »
Otter Lodge.
Sean

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:07 AM »
Otter...

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:00 AM »
Another vote for Otter!

MK

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Had a Nanook for 10 years light weight and did  the job. Otter now. Huge difference but$$
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback! I ended up getting a Shappell 6500. Couldn't beat it for the price 200 new with free shipping. Thanks again guys!!!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Congrats and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.