Author Topic: older 2 man genz fish trap shanty (clam)  (Read 11406 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
older 2 man genz fish trap shanty (clam)
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:16 PM »
just bought a old 2 man clam dave genz fish trap.true barn find with mouse holes, cow crap, bird feathers and the canvas is really rough.i bout it for the sled/ frame for 15 bucks and was wondering what new style clam canvas would work.this one doesn't have a door but the other fish trap I had with a door was identical to this one but clam doesn't make the fish trap any more.i figured maybe someone here put a new style/make shelter canvas on one of these older frames.if not I contact clam and see.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: older 2 man genz fish trap shanty (clam)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:30 PM »
good buy doc are you going to keep it a 2 man or turn it 90 degrees and go 1 man? I just gave the sled away to a IS member but I think his top was for 1 man           

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:42 PM »
good buy doc are you going to keep it a 2 man or turn it 90 degrees and go 1 man? I just gave the sled away to a IS member but I think his top was for 1 man         
never thought about that O.G. ive got the whole frame for the 2 man already along with a cow shat canvas on it.the sled is shallow and kind of round on both ends.looks like a nanook cover may fit.missing the seat but has the seat frame.looks like it was just a bench seat.my other dave genz fish trap guide had moveable plastics seats in it.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:02 PM »
if it's bench seat was probably Genz winter fishing systems then went to fish trap ll  then something else just use your sled measurements and your good to go I think 30,32,34 36 are some of the smaller widths I'll send pm on where to look besides clam

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:35 PM »
if it's bench seat was probably Genz winter fishing systems then went to fish trap ll  then something else just use your sled measurements and your good to go I think 30,32,34 36 are some of the smaller widths I'll send pm on where to look besides clam
thanks O.G.i will have to set it up again and read what it says.the canvas is so full of crap I gagged pulling it out of my truck.lol.im thinking its a fish trap 2 because the other one I had was the same but was called a fish trap guide and had a door.im going to pack it up and bring to the car was to see how bad it is really.see some holes..

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:47 AM »
measure the tub and see what clam has for replacement tents. I junk picked a 2 man guide that was just like yours, a barn find, there was chicken crap all over it, holes everywhere, frame tubes bent. I was able to get a guide tent from clam, but noticed that a nanook was the same size as a guide, I wanted an insulated tent but they were sold out so I got the guide tent. Don't know the condition of your tubes, but mine were rusted, some didn't even move, I took them off the tub, sanded them and cleaned them up with mothers aluminum paste, they work like new. here's some pics of how I found mine.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017, 11:25 AM »
thanks uncle al.mine is 1 or 2 generations earlier than yours the fish trap 2 that was renamed fish trap guide.clam has no more guide tarps.yours was in worse shape than mine.but coated in cow shat.poles are in great shape too.and mine has  a seat bracket going the other way with no door.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:02 PM »
just unfolded the stinky shack again it is a fish trap guide without a door.a few pics.sure doesn't look like winter at my house does it!the one pic with windows is the front.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:05 PM »
this link will take you to clamoutdoors.com and a tent for a clam guide. 169.99 I got mine here and only $10.00 shipping

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/parts/guide-replacement-tent.html

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:20 PM »
this link will take you to clamoutdoors.com and a tent for a clam guide. 169.99 I got mine here and only $10.00 shipping

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/parts/guide-replacement-tent.html
thanks.i don't know if I want to stick that amount of money into it.how much are these shacks new?i sold my other guide for 125 in great shape.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Non thermal are $279.99 at cabelas

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2017, 03:22 PM »
its getting better the lady I bought it from says she has the plastic seats and back wind pole too.covered in cow crap.haha.i don't need another shack but better scoop up a guide tent before they are not available anymore.poles are good and sled has no holes.i was trying to clean the fabric but i can see right thru it everywhere.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:29 PM »
If you're going to take the cover off to replace it, and it's not in too bad of shape, why not take it to the laundromat and give it a good cleaning. Maybe you won't need a new one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:19 PM »
If you're going to take the cover off to replace it, and it's not in too bad of shape, why not take it to the laundromat and give it a good cleaning. Maybe you won't need a new one.
I was going to but its so thin I can see out of it like its clear on all four sides.i will keep it tho for windows and mesh pockets and such.i have 5 other shanties and the weather and ice season has sucked but I know if I don't get a new canvas clam will discontinue it like frabill did with my commando flipover.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:57 PM »
They send stuff fast after you order, I got my new tent in a couple of days

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.