The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike in Wyoming  (Read 4962 times)

Offline icefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike in Wyoming
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Hey what's available for pike fishing down there?  Might be headed that way and would like to fish for pike and walleye . Will be close to work and area?

Offline icefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pike in Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Worland area

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Keyhole Reservoir east of Gillette hands down. State record reigns from there and has been close to being broken this ice season already.  :tipup:

Offline icefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Can live bait ( minnows) be used there?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Live bait is fine at KH.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Live bait is fine at KH.

Wild caught live minnows can be used at Keyhole if they are purchased in the Keyhole area or the "state wide" minnows can used if they are purchased either in the area or elsewhere in Wyoming.

ClearCreek

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:27 PM »
If you wanna buy a two day Montana license, worland is a lot closer to Tongue river reservoir than it is to keyhole, great pike and walleye fishing there as well.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline CheyWyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I think Keyhole is the only water in Wyoming that is managed for pike. Isn't rest of the state considered non-game fish and kill immediately? Will have to check new regs.

Otherwise, around Worland you are looking at Boysen, Buffalo Bill and Big Horn for walleye/sauger I believe.

Offline Jason Stafford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Buffalo Bill has been good for trout.  The ice conditions vary from over a foot to a few inches in other areas. 

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:13 AM »
I think Keyhole is the only water in Wyoming that is managed for pike. Isn't rest of the state considered non-game fish and kill immediately? Will have to check new regs.

Otherwise, around Worland you are looking at Boysen, Buffalo Bill and Big Horn for walleye/sauger I believe.
You are correct. Keyhole is the only water in Wyoming that legally has northern pike. Northern pike now fall under a "must-kill" regulation if found in any other waters.

Offline WildBill_23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Wish we had more pike fishing in the state :/

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Only pike in Wyoming are in keyhole. If you catch any pike in any other water catch and kill is required. Don't throw back. Now G&F put some tiger musky in a few ponds are res. around the state. So travel is required. Keyhole is starting to produce the 40 inch pike and a few ponds are getting that 40 plus tiger musky so they are around.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyozacspappy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2017, 07:25 PM »
can someone tell me what page the new regs say pike are a must kill except keyhole,i cant seem to find it and what does that do to greyrocks pike / tigermusky plantings?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2017, 12:41 AM »
can someone tell me what page the new regs say pike are a must kill except keyhole,i cant seem to find it and what does that do to greyrocks pike / tigermusky plantings?

wyozacspappy:

The must kill regulation for northern pike went into effect on January 1, 2017, so the regulation is a year old.  The regulation pertains to northern pike only, not tiger muskie.

In the 2018 Fishing Regs booklet the Area 1 regulation is on page 23 (table at the top of the page), Area 2 is on page 25 (table at the top of the page), Area 3 regulation is on page 27 - the table lists the Keyhole exception, Area 4 regulation is on page 28 and the Area 5 regulation is on page 31.

The must kill regulation only applies to northern pike at Grayrocks as they were not stocked intentionally in that lake. 

Hope this helps.

ClearCreek

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2017, 04:16 PM »
wyozacspappy:

The must kill regulation for northern pike went into effect on January 1, 2017, so the regulation is a year old.  The regulation pertains to northern pike only, not tiger muskie.

In the 2018 Fishing Regs booklet the Area 1 regulation is on page 23 (table at the top of the page), Area 2 is on page 25 (table at the top of the page), Area 3 regulation is on page 27 - the table lists the Keyhole exception, Area 4 regulation is on page 28 and the Area 5 regulation is on page 31.

The must kill regulation only applies to northern pike at Grayrocks as they were not stocked intentionally in that lake. 

Hope this helps.

ClearCreek

Is there a lot of pike at grayrocks?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Is there a lot of pike at grayrocks?

The hope is there are only a few, but nobody knows for sure.

ClearCreek

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is my preferred way of living.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Hey what's available for pike fishing down there?  Might be headed that way and would like to fish for pike and walleye . Will be close to work and area?

The below linked guide is pretty good place to start when you want to know what types fish are in the major lakes and rivers.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Fishing/WGFD_FISHINGGUIDE.pdf

This is also a good place to start.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating/Places-to-Fish-in-Wyoming

Offline Zsdfac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Keyhole will be your best bet

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Ocean Lake has also produced a couple pike and they must be kept and killed there as well. The pike in both Grayrocks and Ocean were planted by Wyoming Game and Fish. They came in with a load of walleyes from North Dakota I believe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.