The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Help with Navionics app  (Read 2596 times)

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with Navionics app
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Hey all! A couple weeks ago I was fishing Boysen and talked to a fella who had a navionics app on his Samsung phone. He seemed pretty happy with it and I'd sure llike to try it. He said it's 10 bucks a year but I don't know which one he has. A quick look on my phone shows one from Boating USA for $9.99. Any body know if this is the right one? I'm the antithesis of techie and have only the apps the Verizon guy loaded on this phone when I got it 4 months ago so go easy on me ok! As always all help greatly appreciated :)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Help with Navionics app
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:27 PM »
That is the app I run. You can also look at the Navionics Webapp:tipup:

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:28 PM »
That's the one, and it has a free 14 day trial so you can give her a test drive.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:33 AM »
 ??? Hmmmm........ Checked out Boating USA and felt I'd better check the compatibility guide. Doesn't look like my Samsung Galaxy J36V is on the list >:(! Many thanks guys. Appreciate the quick replies ;D. See ya on the ice ;D!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Does this app work when you do not have cell service?

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Dave, yes it will work without service you just have to download the map before you go and you will not be able to see your position on the map because you won't have gps either. Its pretty much worthless around here other than on fontenelle.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Yes you can download the maps for use when you have no service. I bought a ice helix 5 this year and have the navionics chips and I still find myself using my phone app pretty often, awesome app
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:54 PM »
??? Hmmmm........ Checked out Boating USA and felt I'd better check the compatibility guide. Doesn't look like my Samsung Galaxy J36V is on the list >:(! Many thanks guys. Appreciate the quick replies ;D. See ya on the ice ;D!

Don't pay any attention to that list, that's only the devices they've verified it on and they can't test em all.  If it has Android 4.0 or higher you should be good to go.  I have an off brand phone no ones ever heard of and it more or less works on here, your Galaxy should do fine.  Like I mentioned they have a free trial, and it doesn't cost anything to download it from the app store.  Just search Navionics Boating and look for the one that says free. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:44 PM »
FWIW, my Samsung 5 works fine.  :tipup:

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:59 PM »
The app is great. AS for accurate. But hey I got it as use it a lot. Might not be accurate but hey It gets me in the ball park. I got the 9.99 one. Works fine.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:14 PM »
With water levels fluctuating on different lakes, you can go into the Options menu and adjust the water level depth +/-. Another feature I utilize is setting only min/max depths to show. This will highlight humps, points, etc which meet the parameters out in open water. Depths and contour lines for which I'm not interested will not be shown. Many features on teh app moist aren't aware of or do not use to their fullest potential.  :tipup:

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:51 AM »
I paid only one time, not annually and it still works for me. Funny it has contours for Grey Reef, but not for Alcova, Pathfinder and Seminoe.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I paid only one time, not annually and it still works for me. Funny it has contours for Grey Reef, but not for Alcova, Pathfinder and Seminoe.
haha glad me and my partner arent the only ones that noticed this, and the contours for the reef arent even in the ballpark!
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline nygiantsharley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Great app. One time 9.99 use. I use it for boating and ice fishing, can't go wrong with Navionics.

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:10 PM »
After I posted my remark, I tried, at someone's suggestion, to download a map in case I didn't have cell coverage and it wanted $10. So, it will work on my phone, but it likely eats lots of data in this mode of operation.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:18 PM »
 ???Hmmm.......What kinda lamebrains would include contours for Greyreef and NOT Pathfinder or Alcova? I've found this to be so when looking for lake map chips for my Humminbird 798 also. Consequently no chip for Humminbird AND no download! Isn't there somebody that can get these numbskulls attention?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:36 PM »
The reason why pathfinder and alcova don't have contours is there is no current mapping chip for those lakes.

Hopefully someone does a map so we can have them all year long.   They have paper maps so it's only a matter of time.
Don

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:05 PM »
An FYI for those who aren't aware of it. You can build your own maps with Navionics and the Vexilar Sonar Phone T-Box.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Dave, yes it will work without service you just have to download the map before you go and you will not be able to see your position on the map because you won't have gps either. Its pretty much worthless around here other than on fontenelle.

Not true :) I constantly have my app on airplane mode (no service) when I'm out fishing and it still shows me exactly where I am. GPS works if you can see the sky, no matter if you have service or not. The government still wants to know where you are, even if you can't use your phone hahahahaha!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline jstim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Thanks for adding your experiences with this app everyone, thought about downloading it to my phone. Looks like it might be decent tool to add.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.