Author Topic: 33 walleye over limit  (Read 10866 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 33 walleye over limit
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Try reading the Minnesota fishing regulations book. Just that alone is enough to make your head spin. The regulations are not worth it, keep your rights in Indiana.
-Tom

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Daily bag limits & possession limits are a pretty easy concept. These guys knew what they were doing, fine was appropriate.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:19 PM »
The regulations are absolutely worth it. Otherwise we wouldn't have any fish left to catch at all. Duh. smh

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Try reading the Minnesota fishing regulations book. Just that alone is enough to make your head spin. The regulations are not worth it, keep your rights in Indiana.

Head spin? Seems pretty simple to me. Never had any trouble staying legal.

In my experience, the same fisherman who are clearly breaking the law and who claim they can't understand to regs are really just too lazy to look at them.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Are you kidding me? They change every year, and I read the regulations book multiple times a year. Just from a pike fishing perspective. You can use suckers bought from a bait store, but last year I saw something about suckers over 10" you need to have a receipt. I don't see it now, but it may or may not be buried in the fine print. If you trap your own bait you can only use them on that lake, but wait, minnows are most easily trapped in streams. So if your favorite lake doesn't have a stream you are SOL.  If you have suckers over 12" they have to be alive. What am I supposed to take all my bait one by one and measure them? You can readily use a single hook and play the the balancing act of a missed fish vs a gut hooked one. One year you could use a treble hook as long as it had a spinner above it, but then you couldn't. Now you can use any hooks, but only up to three, and they can't be more than 9" apart. That's right, every commercial quick strike rig currently made is illegal in the state of Minnesota. According the the regulations a quickstrike rig has to have leads 4.5" or shorter to be under the 9" maximum. Who's business is it what rig you use anyway, especially when its a redundant law when you can't use multiple baited hooks on a line anyway? Daily limit of 3 pike seems reasonable until you realize the state is littered with lakes of which have their own special regulations.  And what ever happened to splitting the state into 3 areas and making central MN a limit of 10? Was that last year? You can set out tip ups, but they have to be within 200'. So if you set out multiple are you breaking the law when you go to catch a fish? And that's just ice fishing. Bringing a boat into it and you start talking about rules that are 15 years too late. I've seen multiple times last year guys get turned away at launches for having rainwater in their boat.

Trust me, you break a law every time you walk out that door, go to work, go fishing, heck you can't even legally build a shed in this state without jumping through hoops.
-Tom

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Head spin? Seems pretty simple to me. Never had any trouble staying legal.

In my experience, the same fisherman who are clearly breaking the law and who claim they can't understand to regs are really just too lazy to look at them.
I disagree. I think those people are the ones that look for ways to cheat the system. THey know what is legal and act like they don't.
<===Lefty===

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Your absolutely rite Lefty !
I'm nominating them for the Golden Globes !
Actors !!
Definitely not sportsmen !

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Wow, what color were they using
[/quote]
 :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:12 PM »
We had this happen with a bunch of doctors and lawyers from New York.
They came to fish the famous Kenai River in Alaska.
Day one they had 33 or 36 red salmon over their limit. And they did not even posses fishing licenses.
Next day same place and they got caught again 30 some fish over their limit and still didn't have fishing licenses.
These guys were actually caught while still fishing on the river.  Who knows when they would have stopped fishing.
It's a shame whenever people cannot follow the rules as in the end this hurts us all by destroying our fisheries.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:24 PM »
We had this happen with a bunch of doctors and lawyers from New York.
They came to fish the famous Kenai River in Alaska.
Day one they had 33 or 36 red salmon over their limit. And they did not even posses fishing licenses.
Next day same place and they got caught again 30 some fish over their limit and still didn't have fishing licenses.
These guys were actually caught while still fishing on the river.  Who knows when they would have stopped fishing.
It's a shame whenever people cannot follow the rules as in the end this hurts us all by destroying our fisheries.
.           I was up there (Kenai river) in late 70's and I think limit was one fish a day if I remember right!!

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Maybe if it the rules are to hard to follow you should stop participating in the sport, since its a self regulating system till your caught ! 

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Completley agree.  If you don't understand the rules - then ask the MNR or in Ohio ODNR.  Not that hard to follow and you only have yourself to blame if you don't understand them and brake the law.

Maybe if it the rules are to hard to follow you should stop participating in the sport, since its a self regulating system till your caught !

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Are you kidding me? They change every year, and I read the regulations book multiple times a year. Just from a pike fishing perspective. You can use suckers bought from a bait store, but last year I saw something about suckers over 10" you need to have a receipt. I don't see it now, but it may or may not be buried in the fine print. If you trap your own bait you can only use them on that lake, but wait, minnows are most easily trapped in streams. So if your favorite lake doesn't have a stream you are SOL.  If you have suckers over 12" they have to be alive. What am I supposed to take all my bait one by one and measure them? You can readily use a single hook and play the the balancing act of a missed fish vs a gut hooked one. One year you could use a treble hook as long as it had a spinner above it, but then you couldn't. Now you can use any hooks, but only up to three, and they can't be more than 9" apart. That's right, every commercial quick strike rig currently made is illegal in the state of Minnesota. According the the regulations a quickstrike rig has to have leads 4.5" or shorter to be under the 9" maximum. Who's business is it what rig you use anyway, especially when its a redundant law when you can't use multiple baited hooks on a line anyway? Daily limit of 3 pike seems reasonable until you realize the state is littered with lakes of which have their own special regulations.  And what ever happened to splitting the state into 3 areas and making central MN a limit of 10? Was that last year? You can set out tip ups, but they have to be within 200'. So if you set out multiple are you breaking the law when you go to catch a fish? And that's just ice fishing. Bringing a boat into it and you start talking about rules that are 15 years too late. I've seen multiple times last year guys get turned away at launches for having rainwater in their boat.

Trust me, you break a law every time you walk out that door, go to work, go fishing, heck you can't even legally build a shed in this state without jumping through hoops.
Those were proposed pike zones...

You can't think of any way to set your tipups within 200'of each other? Really?  ???

It feels like you're trying too hard to confuse yourself by really simple rules. Looking through an alphabetized list to see if there are special regulations for a lake isn't that difficult shouldn't be challenging for an adult...

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Are you sure it's 200'of each other or is it you can't be more then 200' from.Here in Ontario you have to be within 197' with an unobstructed view.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:24 PM »
.           I was up there (Kenai river) in late 70's and I think limit was one fish a day if I remember right!!
That was most likely King salmon.
Reds have been at 3 per day forever.
It jumps to 6 per day when they reach their escapement goals.
Either way 30+ fish over the limit anywhere is blatant disregard for the law.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Please stay out of Alaska.
If those simple Minnesota regs make your head spin ours will kill you instantly.
Seriously we have rivers where the regs differ for each section of the river.
Some areas are fly fishing only where your gap between point and shank cannot exceed 3/8" and must be a "fly".
If you put a bead on your line it must be able to slide freely down your entire line or be pegged within iirc 1/2" of your hook.
Fish intended for release cannot be removed from the water.
Some areas allow snagged fish to be kept. Others do not.
There's a lot of confusing regs. But a few extra minutes with the regs book and they're really not that hard to figure out.
KasilofChrisN

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:11 PM »
With some of the regulations I've read here....it's no wonder this is a dying sport. Too many variables.
Reminded me of the great "portable shanty identification" debate in Indiana...3" block letters on my one man flip over...would take over 150" of space. Some CO's said it was a law....others didn't.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:27 PM »
So what did the MNR do with the 49 perfectly edible walleye...

Seems like an easy solution to this though...clean fish before freezing and transporting them. Duh.

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Are you sure it's 200'of each other or is it you can't be more then 200' from.Here in Ontario you have to be within 197' with an unobstructed view.
He was saying he couldn't walk to his tip up to catch a fish because he would then be more than 200' from his other tip up. If you put each one on opposite sides of you and 200' away as he is suggesting, then when you walk towards one of them you would be more than 200' from the other one and then be in violation of the law. The logical solution would be to put them 100' on either side of you if you insist on having them as far apart as you legally can.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:59 AM »
So what did the MNR do with the 49 perfectly edible walleye...

Seems like an easy solution to this though...clean fish before freezing and transporting them. Duh.
Here in Alaska they donate the fish to a local food bank or other charity. Not sure what the MNR does.
The easy solution is staying within your legal transport limits in Canada(or anywhere else)!
The law apparently says the fillets must be left whole skin on so they can easily determine how many fish there are.
Cleaning the fish before freezing and transporting especially if their over your limit isn't going to make them any less illegal.
KasilofChrisN

Offline tombrownoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:26 AM »
That's harsh. Turned out to be an expensive fishing trip.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:24 PM »
The MN regulations do not change that much year to year. The changes are highly publicized. One of the first sections in the new reg books is a what's new synopsis.

From the 2016 (current) regulations:

"How far away can I go from my lines?
You must remain within sight of your line. If you’re using a tip-up (a device with spooled line and a
flag that pops up to indicate when a fish bites) you need to be within 200 feet.
"

Seems pretty simple. Stay within 200'. Your farthest can be no farther than 200' apart. What is hard about that? Maybe someone needs to head over to the area of the forum where the grumps gather.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:24 PM »
BINGO !!!!!
Well said sir !

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 15, 2017, 02:43 PM »
The MN regulations do not change that much year to year. The changes are highly publicized. One of the first sections in the new reg books is a what's new synopsis.

You must remain within sight of your line. If you’re using a tip-up (a device with spooled line and a
flag that pops up to indicate when a fish bites) you need to be within 200 feet.
"

Seems pretty simple. Stay within 200'. Your farthest can be no farther than 200' apart. What is hard about that? Maybe someone needs to head over to the area of the forum where the grumps gather.

Amen. But for the sake of everybody else, maybe we move the fight to the MN section?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #84 on: Feb 15, 2017, 03:30 PM »

"

Been to Zipple Bay a few times for pre-spawn pike. We go up with 10-12 guys and it never fails that somebody get's tagged for being too far out. MN doesn't fool around with this.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 15, 2017, 03:31 PM »
I think the point is well established that these criminals are in our midst and that the rest of us law abiding sportsmen and woman should not let them bring the rest of us down with them by shear guilt by association !!
The original offence happened tin Ontario, Canada  .
So why move to the MN board ?

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:05 AM »
I think the point is well established that these criminals are in our midst and that the rest of us law abiding sportsmen and woman should not let them bring the rest of us down with them by shear guilt by association !!
The original offence happened tin Ontario, Canada  .
So why move to the MN board ?

If we wanted to continue discussing the finer points of the MN regs.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:16 AM »
I used to travel up to Hay Bay, Ontario when I was younger and the Walleye fishing was truly unbelievable.  Over the years due to poaching and overbagging the walleye population has deteriorated immensely. This happens all over, on the water & in the woods, by all kinds of people-  Americans, Canadians, whatever. Some people are just going to do what they are set out to do and it's a shame.

Now... let's get back to what's really important here-

What color where they using??
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline Mrowinsky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing is a social event. Meet!!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Perfect!!  I'm still waiting for the color they used as well!!!

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.