Author Topic: 33 walleye over limit  (Read 10861 times)

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 33 walleye over limit
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I fish Rice Lake twice a year and really makes me mad when people do that.  Iit makes American's look greedy and not repsect the rules of the Country you are in.  I think they should be banned from fishing in Canada the rest of there life.  Not sure why anyone would do that.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:35 PM »
I don't care where they where from,taking more than allowed and get caught you pay the price,ignorance is no excuse.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:15 PM »
I completely agree we don't need some bad Americans going up there and poaching when they are having such a problem with their own countrymen poaching.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Not near harsh enough !!!
Life time ban from Ontario and 
should have taken the vehicle as well !
Always plead ignorance when caught eh !!!!!
I never surprises me when a looser commits a crime people try and rationalize why !!!!
They bought licences, should have known the limits and followed them !
Criminals . Period !

Offline Steve Rowbotham

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:40 PM »
For those confused. I'm not sure how it works in your states or provinces, but in Ontario, there is a daily limit and a possession limit.  The possession limit is usually double your daily limit.  If they had consumed fish on the trip, then those fish obviously are no longer in your possession. 

Chute82

« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:54 PM »
That's horrible! Hate to see people abusing their awesome rights to ice fish.

Not sure how much ice fishing happens on Rice lake in June...my guess would be zero

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:17 PM »
      Chute82,
 I saw that one too. Probably thinking North Pole. Good Catch..........
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:20 PM »
For those confused. I'm not sure how it works in your states or provinces, but in Ontario, there is a daily limit and a possession limit.  The possession limit is usually double your daily limit.  If they had consumed fish on the trip, then those fish obviously are no longer in your possession.
The bold underlined part is in most cases incorrect.
In most cases the possession limit is your daily limit.
This can very on where fish were caught and in some rare incidences it is 2 times the daily limit. Perch is a good example where your possession limit is twice your daily limit in most cases. For walleye the provincial limit is six but they can not exceed any fish from a zone above the daily limit where the limit is less than six fish. For example although you can have 6 walleye in possession in Ontario no more than 4 (sport fishing license) can from Zone 17 (where Rice lake is).
Even though the provincial limits may exceed your daily limit (possession or daily) in some zones you can not exceed your possession or daily limit with fish from the same area.
This may seem confusing to some but fully reading the Provincial Regulations should clear this up.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:44 PM »
I love threads like this.  One pops up on pretty much every fishing board at least once a year.  Everyone loses their minds, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS",  "$12,000 isn't enough", "How can they face their family", "What scumbags".  Yet post a thread inquiring about how to get into Canada after a DUI and you'll get a bunch of sympathetic responses.   A DUI is $700 and you lose your license for six months, a speeding ticket is a couple hundred and you get docked some points.  I know people who aren't here anymore because of drunk driving and speeding, how many people do you know who are dead from some idiots overbagging? 

A little perspective goes a long way. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Yet post a thread inquiring about how to get into Canada after a DUI and you'll get a bunch of sympathetic responses.   A DUI is $700 and you lose your license for six months, a speeding ticket is a couple hundred and you get docked some points.
And in Canada DUI is a criminal offense.
"A little perspective goes a long way".
Also consider it in the other direction.
Getting into the US with a Canadian DUI can be next to impossible.
First off as it's a criminal offense so getting a passport is greatly restricted.
Even with a pardon for a Canadian DUI the US doesn't recognize the Canadian pardon.
Far more than a one sided argument that extra restrictions are be placed on US citizens.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:52 AM »
I love threads like this.  One pops up on pretty much every fishing board at least once a year.  Everyone loses their minds, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS",  "$12,000 isn't enough", "How can they face their family", "What scumbags".  Yet post a thread inquiring about how to get into Canada after a DUI and you'll get a bunch of sympathetic responses.   A DUI is $700 and you lose your license for six months, a speeding ticket is a couple hundred and you get docked some points.  I know people who aren't here anymore because of drunk driving and speeding, how many people do you know who are dead from some idiots overbagging? 

So you think these guy's were unjustly fined? Just because one thing is worst then the other this should be forgotten? A crime is a crime. I really think all crimes should have harsher penalties. There wouldn't be as many crimes if they were. I think a person that litters the countryside should spend some time in a jail. OK go ahead and say it. That is too harsh. Maybe we should just make them clean it up and give them a participation ribbon.
<===Lefty===

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:07 AM »
I think the fines were appropriate for the crime.i would be surprised if they did it again knowing they could get caught.i think taking their vehicle is just ridiculous  then they would have to stay in Canada and keep eating your walleye :o ::) ::)

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:06 AM »
 If they got caught way over their limit this time, how many other times have they done it?  It is not overreacting when you are can't respect the rules that govern the fishing industry and hopefully allow plenty of fish for future generations.  If you break them, then I don't think losing your license for the rest of your life is going too far.  If you don't have severe consequences, then a lot of people would do it, thus no the fish could be depleted.  What amazes me is how people don't respect nature and the rules that govern it.   Stick with what happened and don't compare it something outside of that.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Absolutely DVB !
Most of us have been taught to follow the rules from a very young age, you would think that as adults participating in a sport that is a privilege not a rite, they should know full well what was right from wrong .
And isn't it convenient to cry ignorance when caught !
I have seen enough poaching and reported more than a few to the MNR and it just boils my blood to read other sportsmen trying to make excuses for these criminals.
They are not only making all Americans and fishermen in general look bad but they are intentional depleting a resource that is not theirs for the taking !

There's no excuse !

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Not stiff enough of a penalty in my opinion. I wouldn't allow them back for at least 5 years.

Of course we don't remember the old times when people were really penalized for their actions. We have gotten ""civilized"". but people would be hanged for stealing horses or killing someone. Since those days are gone people think they can get away with anything. If there is a law against something it has been broken over and over and over again.

On a second offense of breaking any law people should have harsh penalties.
In Minnesota the penalties for overfishing are an absolute joke, the restitution is like $5 per fish or something ridiculously low. Glad Canada actually takes that stuff seriously.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Amen to hitting them hard. When they PURPOSELYmarked the baggies a different species of fish then they knew they were illegal. Even if you fish for pan fish up there you still have to leave some skin on to identify it. People actually would drive from the Midwest to fish all week long to take home 500 plus fish, which were legal.....
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2017, 05:39 PM »
glad they caught the scumbags
what is and what should never be

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Stuff like this really brings out the keyboard warriors.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Read the last paragraph closer.  They mislabelled fish packages, over limit 33 fish.....  We hear of this sort of thing up here all the time.  Scum trying to get away with something, their fine is a slap on the wrist.

A 3,000$ fine for 8 extra fish is a slap on the wrist? There must be gold in them there walleye!!
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Holy cow, you guys are ruthless. :o I think they are totally in the wrong in this case, and they sure paid for it. You guys saying its easy to stay within the law, get real. I would bet I break a law every single time I step out the door. We are so over regulated there is no possible way not to.  I try my absolute best to stay within the law, and not because of the possible fines, but because I am a decent human being with a strong moral compass.
-Tom

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:08 PM »
they should have mailed them to themselves back home at the end of each day. problem solved.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:09 AM »
It is easy to stay within the law, you just do it! Quit making excuses for inappropriate/illegal behavior. And quit blaming the govt for all your problems when you break the law. Probably 99% of laws are on the books because someone couldn't do the right thing on their own.

icewagon

« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Sounds like an honest mistake . We should flood Ontario with all the left wing nut cases from Hollywood .

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2017, 02:04 PM »
And in Canada DUI is a criminal offense.
"A little perspective goes a long way".
Also consider it in the other direction.
Getting into the US with a Canadian DUI can be next to impossible.
First off as it's a criminal offense so getting a passport is greatly restricted.
Even with a pardon for a Canadian DUI the US doesn't recognize the Canadian pardon.
Far more than a one sided argument that extra restrictions are be placed on US citizens.

FYI. Its the other way around.  A Canadian with a DUI can travel to the US with little issue as long as they are truthful upon inspection.  Other Criminal Offences its very hard. 

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:04 PM »
FYI. Its the other way around.  A Canadian with a DUI can travel to the US with little issue as long as they are truthful upon inspection.  Other Criminal Offences its very hard.
I seen that not to be the case at all.
With a Canadian DUI (criminal record) you are not eligible for a passport.
No passport = no entry.
How long ago did you witness this?

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Sounds like an honest mistake . We should flood Ontario with all the left wing nut cases from Hollywood .
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Some states have tough laws though, like cheek meat counts as a seperate fish,.....   that is just plain mean

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Next time those guys should stop in Indiana and bluegill fish instead. They could keep all they catch...be that 10 or 10,000 .

By the way,  I'm all for a limit on bluegill in Indiana....just can't get the IDNR to do anything, but say "we are looking into it"

Paul

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #58 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Still no color used being reported? ;)

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:50 PM »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: