Author Topic: 33 walleye over limit  (Read 10860 times)

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
33 walleye over limit
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Four Americans fined for over-fishing on Rice Lake
Peterborough This Week
Four American residents have been fined $11,900 for fishing offenses on Rice Lake.

On Jan. 12, Daniel Lee Arp and William John Hilinski, both of Erin, Tennessee, and Joseph Paul Hilinski and Robert William Hilinski, both of Glenshaw, Pennsylvania, pleaded guilty to having an over-limit of fish and packaging fish in a way that they could not be easily counted. Each was fined $2,475 for the over-limit and $500 for improper packaging. Each man is also banned from angling in Ontario for three years. The fish and a cooler were forfeited to the Crown.

The incident took place on June 25 when MNR officers were inspecting anglers leaving cottages in the Rice Lake area.

The four men were stopped and their vehicle was found to have a large cooler attached to it. In the cooler, conservation officers found multiple bags of frozen fish, most marked bass and walleye. Officers suspected an over-limit of walleye and seized the cooler and its contents. Once the contents were defrosted, officers counted 49 walleye. This was an over-limit of 33 fish as the men could only possess four walleye each.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 33 walleye over limit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Its these kind of lowlife scumbags thats hurting both the fishi populations and the entire sport.Hope they don't let the scumbags do a plea deal. Should have conficated everyting they had. Good job to the Ontario MNR Officers.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:24 AM »
Wow, what color were they using?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:13 AM »
Expensive trip boys....like the 3 year banning penalty....nice touch!!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:31 AM »
$11,900 ........hmmmmmmm...... .Canadian or American :-\

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:07 AM »
$11,900 and they kept the cooler.friggen canadians

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:54 AM »
I wonder how many days they were fishing.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:58 AM »
I wonder how they thought this was even acceptable.  How would one explain this to their child, their boss at work, or their friends and neighbors?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Probably allowed to have one days limit in possession and they nailed there azzes on their way home with a few bags of fish.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:32 AM »
The story doesnt say how long they were there?

They were staying in a cottage. Doesnt sound like a day trip to me.. The fish (all 49) were frozen solid, to the point where they needed to be thawed to be counted. 4 dudes at 4 fish per day could put 48 fish in that cooler in a 3 day weekend trip.. Is it possible they miscounted by 1.. Sure is...
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:35 AM »
wow, kinda tough limits... does that mean that if they stayed at a lodge and fished for a week, that they could only keep 4 walleye each for the entire week? Maybe they were thinking that they could keep 4 fish each per day. Oh well, doesn't matter since they pleaded guilty. Pay up boys, it's a costly mistake. I guess it makes sense to know what the limits are and to stick to them.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Not stiff enough of a penalty in my opinion. I wouldn't allow them back for at least 5 years.

Of course we don't remember the old times when people were really penalized for their actions. We have gotten ""civilized"". but people would be hanged for stealing horses or killing someone. Since those days are gone people think they can get away with anything. If there is a law against something it has been broken over and over and over again.

On a second offense of breaking any law people should have harsh penalties.
<===Lefty===

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:45 AM »
We use to camp at a place on Rice Lake years ago. Normally at the end of August during the algae bloom. Never caught a walleye though. We would buy a CONSERVATION license as it was cheaper. The license states 3 per day and 3 IN POSESSION!!!!!! After 1 week I could only take 3 home but caught and kept if eaten 18. Never saw the DNR all the times there but I wasn't breaking the law. ALSO if someone not driving were to drink a beer on the boat on the water they could get ticketed for an open container.
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:   
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:52 AM »
Sounds like an honest mistake to me. None of them were local, and possibly their first time there. Doesnt make it right, but dont think we should chop any hands off for it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jtc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Know the rules and regulations.  No excuses!
The world would be better if we all took a 6 month fishing trip twice a year.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Sounds like an honest mistake to me. None of them were local, and possibly their first time there. Doesnt make it right, but dont think we should chop any hands off for it.

Read the last paragraph closer.  They mislabelled fish packages, over limit 33 fish.....  We hear of this sort of thing up here all the time.  Scum trying to get away with something, their fine is a slap on the wrist.

"The four men were stopped and their vehicle was found to have a large cooler attached to it. In the cooler, conservation officers found multiple bags of frozen fish, most marked bass and walleye. Officers suspected an over-limit of walleye and seized the cooler and its contents. Once the contents were defrosted, officers counted 49 walleye. This was an over-limit of 33 fish as the men could only possess four walleye each."

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:23 AM »
The story doesnt say how long they were there?

They were staying in a cottage. Doesnt sound like a day trip to me.. The fish (all 49) were frozen solid, to the point where they needed to be thawed to be counted. 4 dudes at 4 fish per day could put 48 fish in that cooler in a 3 day weekend trip.. Is it possible they miscounted by 1.. Sure is...
It doesn't matter how long they were there...It is a 4 fish limit per person in possession.....We used to fly into Canada frequently and you could only bring home a days limit...It's the same for Simcoe...We eat some nice fish dinners while we are there and are happy to bring a limit home...
It sounds like they didn't leave the skins on like you are suppose to...

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Doesn't really matter how long the ban is. In my experience, those who are willing to flaunt the limit laws are usually willing to chance fishing without a license during the ban as well.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Know the rules and regulations.  No excuses!
X2
<===Lefty===

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:52 AM »
boy you google it and there is a big problem up there with poaching.they should crack down hard on it with both the americans that go up there and do it and all the Canadians doing it.

Chute82

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:04 AM »
boy you google it and there is a big problem up there with poaching.they should crack down hard on it with both the americans that go up there and do it and all the Canadians doing it.

I go to Canada every season for ice fishing, had a fish cop check us before that had a dog trained to sniff out fish. Guess the locals hid the whitefish in the snow and that's what the dogs for according to the fish cop. Funny part we where fishing in a blizzard and the fish cop got lost and checked on us twice in 1/2 hr.  Had a special enclosed sled for the dog getting pulled by the snowmobile.  Been pulled over before also by the fish cops checking our limits, they see those US tags and think it's an easy ticket. 

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Read the last paragraph closer.  They mislabelled fish packages, over limit 33 fish.....  We hear of this sort of thing up here all the time.  Scum trying to get away with something, their fine is a slap on the wrist.

Not saying it was right. Canada's reg. are clearly written in the reg. book you get when buying a license.One day limit in possession and to leave skin on for id purposes.No were do I see in the last paragraph does it say they miss labeled packages.Just says labeled Bass and Walleye.It's very possible they had Bass in there possession also.   

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Yep, if they Knew the regs and limits then it's a good bust. Same thing happens here in PA during the hunting seasons. Guys used to come from out of state to hunt illegally in PA because the fines were less than our non-residential tags were... and our non-res tags aren't that expensive. They jacked up some fines, but not enough. It's still cheaper to poach. >:(

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:06 AM »
2 types of licenses  Sportmen  bigger limits.....Conservatio n smalier limits ...slot limits... you have to watch...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:11 AM »
$11,900 and they kept the cooler.friggen canadians

That's funny! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:15 AM »
IMO they shouldn't be allowed a license again.  It isn't difficult to obey the bag/possession limit.  Once you catch the limit, you stop.  Pretty simple.  The fine also seemed a little light.  Hopefully the fine money goes directly to help maintain the fishery.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Wow, what color were they using?

;D Following for color

Offline jrodm13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:18 AM »
;D Following for color

I did chuckle when I read this...Well done.

Offline Nomack001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:19 PM »
That's horrible! Hate to see people abusing their awesome rights to ice fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.