The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Longterm Forecast  (Read 1739 times)

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Longterm Forecast
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I say it every year, there is a January thaw and February refreeze...

Longterm forecast for Worcester looks like another week of above average temps then back to some good old fashioned ice making weather -

Fingers crossed!

http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/worcester-ma/01608/extended-weather-forecast/329325

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Longterm Forecast
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:26 PM »
Forecast looks better now than it did just a couple days ago.

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:34 AM »
I have my fingers crossed! I don't mind traveling but definitely want to hit some local spots

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I have given up looking at the forecast for a little while. The results were just too depressing for the last few weeks.. Now I'm just praying for a little polar vortex action! Come on Jack Frost!!

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:32 PM »
I have given up looking at the forecast for a little while. The results were just too depressing for the last few weeks.. Now I'm just praying for a little polar vortex action! Come on Jack Frost!!
[/qu  ote]  Jack Frost ,how about an artic blast for a week, tighten things up. Try to order for a bait shop with this weather,fun
Proudly A Member of G.O.D.S.   More Meds Please

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I just keep heading north and west to find safe ice, it's New Hampshire tomorrow.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I just keep heading north and west to find safe ice, it's New Hampshire tomorrow.
I'm getting use to the road trip ice fishing this year. Frank I'm playing the good husband tomorrow. I know you'll make me pay for it with picture texts all day from the North country. LOl. Good luck
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Is it me or the winters are just not what they used to be?

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Spring 2015 had almost two feet of ice
I was ice fishing in central MA in April

So it really depends on the year -

but I think we all know climate change has resulted in more mild winters on average - ice fisherman are especially in tune with mild winters - the rest of society is like "beautiful weather" and we are like "no, something is wrong" lol

Regardless, I've been on the ice since before xmas and I think that will continue thru feb with the ensuing cold snap - so it's honestly been a pretty solid ice season for me so far, despite the mild temps

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:05 AM »
That was a wild Spring, some really big bass that year in pre spawn. I remember being out mid April too. Maybe it will repeat this year!

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:06 AM »

Ice fisherman are especially in tune with mild winters - the rest of society is like "beautiful weather" and we are like "no, something is wrong" lol

Regardless, I've been on the ice since before xmas and I think that will continue thru feb with the ensuing cold snap - so it's honestly been a pretty solid ice season for me so far, despite the mild temps

Ha ha, very true. People look at me like a mental patient when I hope out loud for some really cold weather, and curse the mild temperatures in the 40s.

in 2015 I fished Lake Attitash on I believe the last day of March and it was like freaking Siberia

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:25 PM »
"Beautiful weather" is what people that don't ice fish will say.

"Beautiful weather" for ice anglers is a completely different scene.

Although I do like above freezing temps while out on the ice, it's usually AFTER we've had a deep freeze, not INSTEAD of one!!!

Hope February brings us back to the norm...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline motodad631

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Followed RT. 78 through Warwick Saturday, 15-20 fisherman on Moore's pond. Closer I got to Salem, Ma, open water and no ice anywhere, saw fisherman on shore set up with spincasters..... Definitely wouldn't chance it till next week. 

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Western MA should just hold out until colder temps

Even some shallow places in central MA were pushing 8 inches and I hope they hold up as well

Anything east of say Leominster on rt 2 will be starting over

Though the feb forecast remains promising!

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Ok boys, starting next weekend things JUST MIGHT be somewhat back to normal. Let's all be sure to attend church Sunday (or Saturday evening) and toss a hefty chunk o' bills into the collection plate  ;)  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:50 PM »
Ok boys, starting next weekend things JUST MIGHT be somewhat back to normal. Let's all be sure to attend church Sunday (or Saturday evening) and toss a hefty chunk o' bills into the collection plate  ;)  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Amen Rev!

Offline BFD5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Hi Guys,
 I'm on the North Shore, no safe ice here I know of. Especially with the rain we're getting. I was thinking about heading up to Sabattus in Maine this Sunday with the old man to try that out, never fished it before.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some ice in MA within 1-1.5 hrs of the north shore, Georgetown specifically.  Not looking to hit anyone's honey hole or anything like that. Just want some safe ice with decent access. Haven't been able to get on the ice yet here this year, need to scratch the itch!
Thanks

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:27 AM »
It might be better, safer and less expensive to break out the regular tackle and do some shore fishing in open waters?

I have a few places I might try this weekend, since there won't be much, if any, ice left in the eastern MA area.

Based on the forecast, the waters "should" lock up again by the beginning of Feb.

Then it's Super bowl time and then the Meredith Derby!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:43 AM »
saw a guy launching his boat at nine mile in wilbraham  sunday, all open water >:(

Offline BFD5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Sabattus isn't too far away, less than 2 hrs. I've been told there is a public boat launch with parking. Of course the best fishing is 2 miles to the north of the boat launch, so would have to drag up a trailer with the atv's or sleds... Getting to be a lot of work for a day on the ice.  Maybe we'll have ice again in a week or two in eastern MA, just not sure if I want to wait that long to get on the ice.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Worcester and points NW for any ice fishing in the next week or two

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.